Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: how many or which different photo forums do you follow?  (Read 8986 times)

Rob C

Re: how many or which different photo forums do you follow?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 06:16:28 pm »

Yes, I was noticing the irony that Rob C. has 9,000 posts and he says he doesn't follow forums.  I have just over a thousand here (my most active forum anywhere) and have been a member for over eight years.  

1) LuLa
2) DPReview (I mostly use this forum to filter and get to interesting news and deals. I don't participate much there)
..after those two I am all over the map depending on what I am interested in at the moment
3) Micro Four Thirds Forum
4) Max Lions Tawbaware Forums were THE epicenter for pano and stitching discussions. Less active now.
5) Fred Miranda forums for buy and sell used gear and for browsing photos
6) Adobe Support forums are occasionally helpful.
7) Anandtech and Toms Hardware forums are good for PC building information

Forum following. Nope, I still don’t think I follow forums of any sort, and certainly don’t feel that LuLa is something I follow. I think it’s a place where I chat with people who, on the whole, seem to understand me and put up with my possibly misplaced sense of some particular values.

To me, following something connotes being led by the nose by it; I never felt that way here. Were I to become a football fan, for example, then as a follower, I would expect myself to be swept along on a tide of bullshit and the kind of mindless devotion best given a dog who would, in the end, perhaps repay you with love – or a bite.

For example: I am coming more and more to the conclusion that photography has plateaued: reached a place where it has lost (personally) its original purpose as either provisioner of happy snaps (however grand or even grandiose) or a commercial venture – has reached a position where yes, it can be more than either of those two basic things, it can become therapy not in the sense of replacing something that’s lost or even something else never present, but in providing an outlet for a creative urge that really doesn’t require that one produce anything on paper at the end of it. What purpose any forum for this concept of something from nothing, including LuLa?

In a sense, perhaps that’s what Imogen Cunningham was about: did she really ever feel the need to make any giant blowups from her Rolleiflex? Would she have given a Flying Burrito Brother for mega-pixel sensors, ultra-this coated lenses, been a closet fan of anything simply expensive and, therefore, by dint of that, exclusively worthy of cachet? Maybe she was about seeing, and the inner satisfaction that comes from realising something not entirely obvious. But I suspect this may be something that comes with age and/or long experience doing something. As I’ve suggested in other topìcs, when you know you can do it, do you always have to do it in order to enjoy the idea of doing it; isn’t seeing the possibility enough or, perhaps, even better? It’s certainly cheaper and less frustrating.

Rob C
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:23:20 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 07:05:18 pm »

In a sense, perhaps that’s what Imogen Cunningham was about: did she really ever feel the need to make any giant blowups from her Rolleiflex? Would she have given a Flying Burrito Brother for mega-pixel sensors, ultra-this coated lenses, been a closet fan of anything simply expensive and, therefore, by dint of that, exclusively worthy of cachet? Maybe she was about seeing, and the inner satisfaction that comes from realising something not entirely obvious. But I suspect this may be something that comes with age and/or long experience doing something. As I’ve suggested in other topìcs, when you know you can do it, do you always have to do it in order to enjoy the idea of doing it; isn’t seeing the possibility enough or, perhaps, even better? It’s certainly cheaper and less frustrating.

Now Rob,  THERE is something worthy of being chiselled into stone or crocheted into the corner of a pillow slip!!

It isn't just photography that is different, but the folk who engage in it.  Present day Cunninghams and Meatyards are certainly not to be found in abundance.  Especially on fora.

Walter

Peter Mellis

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 08:20:00 pm »

Only LuLa and the Online Photograper (not sure if that qualifies as a forum).

artobest

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 08:04:36 am »

Filmwasters is a friendly and active place. APUG and DPUG are also useful for digital hold-outs like me. But there aren't many forums as active over a range of fields as LuLa.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 09:44:40 am »

I follow Lula and Fred Miranda Alt and Canon forums and also the Landscape and Nature sections. I glance through Dpreview and also the Fuji X forums.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 10:12:47 am »

well,
art is where you find it and if rob c or rsl, or  michael or schewe or any of the other keepers of the keys so to speak were to leave or discourage me I'd go too.But they don't and they are,(artists I mean)
so this one is good.

Ain't gonna happen: your posts are unique. And you dig some music that I love too!

;-)

Rob C

http://youtu.be/MhNhaZzgp9I

Sat watching this bar for thirty minutes, extending a coffee whilst the accountant in his office nearby was finishing off some papers for me. They didn't play this song; they didn't play anything. I was worried about the parking zone. They should have played the song; yeah, it would have distracted me, calmed me down. Never did enjoy accountants much, nor parking attendants with uniforms and notebooks.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:15:36 pm by Rob C »

NancyP

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 01:19:21 pm »

Besides LuLa:
dpreview: astro, macro, birds/wildlife, landscape, sometimes pop into the street and sports fora. Check news there: LR5 public beta! Like to see some photos during my lunch break. Splendid insects on the macro forum.
Fred Miranda macro forum: there's a h* of a lot of DIY expertise there, and the results are fun.
Canon Rumors: News - yes. Fora - no.
Photography-on-the-Net (a large Canon-specific forum site): not all that often
www.birdphotographers.net : self-explanatory. Ogle bird photos, pick up how to tips, and there is a nice (helpful) critique this photo community and a reasonable number of ornithologists and seasoned birders.
Just beginning to learn a little basic astronomy, the forum site I may consult for "how to" tips is Cloudy Nights.

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 01:28:24 pm »

Besides LuLa:
dpreview: astro, macro, birds/wildlife, landscape, sometimes pop into the street and sports fora. Check news there: LR5 public beta! Like to see some photos during my lunch break. Splendid insects on the macro forum.
Fred Miranda macro forum: there's a h* of a lot of DIY expertise there, and the results are fun.
Canon Rumors: News - yes. Fora - no.
Photography-on-the-Net (a large Canon-specific forum site): not all that often
www.birdphotographers.net : self-explanatory. Ogle bird photos, pick up how to tips, and there is a nice (helpful) critique this photo community and a reasonable number of ornithologists and seasoned birders.Just beginning to learn a little basic astronomy, the forum site I may consult for "how to" tips is Cloudy Nights.

You got to be joking, right? This had me in stitches!

It's a British 60s thing...

;-)

Rob C

Pelao

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 01:34:40 pm »

Not many.

This one, clearly.

Real Photographers: nice people, about photography and not about gadgets: http://www.realphotographersforum.com/content/

Get DPI a bit. DPreview for entertainment.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 03:46:19 pm »

I check Pentax forums because I have one, and occasionally peruse the classifieds. I used to post in their photos section, but there is no eye for subtlety.

I have never joined or enjoyed DPReviews. Too many sharpness shots of brick walls and arguing.

Sometimes I peruse large format forums, scanning back forums, medium format forums and other types to see what other kinds of photos are being produced. It is a nice change from the contrast and saturation boosted photos that populate 500px and the like. I feel like it helps keep me focused and wrangles my own desires to crank up the processing in my own photos. I'm about to start looking for forums where Jenoptik lenses are used by someone. I'm interested in what they would be like to shoot with outside their intended use in forensics, and to learn more about them. Same with Pentacon fine art reproduction cameras or something similar.

The online photographer is a site I'll visit occasionally, but I'm not really fond of his personal stories. Nothing wrong with them, just that they do nothing for me. I like when he writes about cameras, and when Ctein writes about printing.

I enjoy the honest critique of this forum.

WalterEG

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 04:52:30 pm »

It's a British 60s thing...
Rob C

Product of John D Green perchance?

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 06:02:28 pm »

Product of John D Green perchance?

Heysoos, Walter! You remember him?

This world is even more tiny than I'd thought!

;-)

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 06:42:23 pm »

Rob C doesn't follow any forums. That's because he's a Leader, not a Follower!    :D

Cheers,

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

WalterEG

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2013, 07:36:09 pm »

Heysoos, Walter! You remember him?

This world is even more tiny than I'd thought!

;-)

Rob C

I still have the book with the cover which was probably the best shot in the whole publication.  Great effect visual effect from a time when Adobe was a dwelling (and a Gaytime was an ice cream).

Rob C

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 03:29:54 am »

Rob C doesn't follow any forums. That's because he's a Leader, not a Follower!    :D

Cheers,

Eric

Is nothing sacred?

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 03:32:10 am »

I still have the book with the cover which was probably the best shot in the whole publication.  Great effect visual effect from a time when Adobe was a dwelling (and a Gaytime was an ice cream).

You also spent working time in Britain, didn't you?

I know it all depends on the where and the when, how big the city and its photographic support networks, but how did the experience compare with the one(s) you know in Australia?

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up