Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peter's NAB  (Read 2169 times)

Peter McLennan

Peter's NAB
« on: April 15, 2013, 08:05:33 pm »

This was my 10th (or so) NAB, my second since I retired as a Cinematographer a few years ago. Like always, I drove from my home in British Columbia to Las Vegas, a route that traverses some of the most scenic landscapes in North America.

The Sony booth is always near the top of my must-see list. They showed a 4K 3D system that used nearly invisible passive glasses that resolved 3D on an 85 inch screen.  At a ten foot viewing distance, this system delivered a superb viewing experience.  Despite the nay-sayers, I think that 3D has a future.  There's a very good reason that nearly every animal on planet Earth has two eyes.

Sony also demo'd AMOLED monitors that appeared to present to the viewer the same dynamic range as a sunny day. The monitors were extremely bright and the colour saturation was beyond anything I've seen other than in the real world. Quite extraordinary. 

Viewing these amazing displays, I asked a Sony Engineer: "Why can't we buy these yet? What's taking so long?" 

"Angstroms", he said.  "And tolerances in the order of a few layers of molecules."

That adds up to very low production yields.  It's going to be a while yet before we see these in our homes.

UAVs for filming were everywhere on the show floor and in the air, for that matter.  Quadcopters capable of transporting a RED for nearly half an hour were at one booth, and another group showed a quadcopter that could easily carry something like a Sony NX series camera for under $300.  I met the designer/pilot of the "Flying Cam", a French UAV that is pretty well the state of the art.  Its all up weight is in the order of 25kG and was used to film the rooftop motorcycle chase in "Skyfall". For a guy that earned a large part of his living for years shooting aerials for the film business, it was quite an education.  Now, you can buy a cinema-quality aerial photography setup for less than the cost of a single day aerial shoot from a few years ago.  I just got out of this business in time. :)

http://www.fcpxland.com/battle-flying-cameras-nab-2013-3866/

One of the highlights of my visit for the last few NABs is to visit The Lens.  Ever watch baseball on TV?  The shot that never fails to blow me away is a chest shot of the batter with the catcher and the ump in the background.  Just exactly how do they get that shot?  The camera is in straightaway center field, at least 400 ft away. 

They do it with a Canon DigiSuper, a beast of a lens whose effective zoom range is 100X and whose longest focal length is nearly 2000 mm.  It's really a telescope, not a telephoto.  The Lens is mounted on a camera and you're free to walk up and try your hand at camera operating, baseball-style.  So long is this lens that, when I found a person in the crowd with the lens, I couldn't see them in real life.  They were too far away.  It's enough just to find the subject and focus with such a lens, let alone follow action.  Very humbling.

http://www.canon.com/bctv/products/digi100xs.html

At the Arriflex booth, I held my hand in front of a 1K LED fresnel light and watched amazed as, with the turn of a knob, I seamlessly and continuously dialed the colour temperature from about 1500K (candlelight) to over 10,000K (blue sky).  Send the grips home.  We're lit.

http://www.arri.com/l-series/

GoPro had a huge crowd at their booth and a lot of enticing video, but until they provide image stabilization and a viewfinder, I'm out.  To a photographer, the viewfinder IS the camera.  One guy had a silicone casting capable of mounting six GoPros all facing out in different directions.  He said that you could stitch the six cameras outputs into a single media file.  Anyone remember Disney "Circle Vision"? 

The Adobe booth was huge, capable of seating an audience of well over a hundred.  Most of the demos were for the motion production business, though, with nothing of Photoshop or Lightroom on offer.  Their seats were comfy, though.

NAB is highly recommended whether you're in show business or not.  It's far more interesting than CES and it's in April, a far nicer time to be in Vegas, baby.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Re: Peter's NAB
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:16:58 am »

Nice round-up, Peter.

I'm planning on getting those L7 LEDs soon (it costs twice as much in my country). Glad Mole and Herolux have LED Fresnels out as well.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 01:19:31 am »

Thanks Peter!  So NOW you tell me about all the 'RC copter cams!  Haven't been to NAB for a lot of years, but I wish I had made this one just to see those things.  Back in my day there was just one motley looking crew there with a regular single rotor RC copter sporting a a little camera with a Cunningham movement, and involving lots of rubber bands, foam, and duct tape.  Things have come a long way.

Certainly am tempted to get into that.  Just 20 or 30 feet above the ground and landscapes take on a whole new look.  Wonder who will be the first to shoot a descent into a slot canyon?  Better do it soon, before they regulate the heck out of those things.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 01:22:58 am »

Well worth the trip for me, too, from northern California! Ran into my old friends at the Nikon booth and a couple of my colleagues from SF.

Great place to learn to crossover into cinema, learn a bit about LED lighting, drool over the UAVs and the 4k displays. the Supermeet is a good intro to some of the other tools coming soon to the industry.

A lot of what they show here seems to end up also in the still photo industry.

Never thought I'd ever be interested in this aspect of photography, but it's gien me a new POV that ive incorporated in my biz and it's a good direction to explore for most pro still photographers since the more you know and understand, the more marketable you become!

Best of all, is the trip down and back, opportunity to get out and shoot some new images is the great wide open!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

fredjeang2

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 06:30:20 am »

Thanks for the report Peter.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:11:30 pm by fredjeang2 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up