Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 5 Public Beta is live.  (Read 49051 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: LR 5 Public Beta is live.
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2013, 01:21:59 pm »

For some reason I'm not seeing that. I am using the Lr5b in OS X 10.8.3 Here's what I see (screen shot attached):

Right click on the right side panel and check the File Handling panel. Somehow, you've got it hidden...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2013, 01:22:11 pm »

I wonder if you accidentally hid that section. Right click another section on that side of the panel and see if one of the panels is unticked.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2013, 02:34:43 pm »

Beta 5 ?? I've just spent the weekend trying it out. All rather underwhelming for me.

The positive notes;

The new healing brush might be useful occasionally. The auto detect function is a joke, but after some intervention it works well enough to be useful.

Responsiveness in the develop module is improved, a little bit.

Auto levelling ? a hit rate of about 5% here, so not a lot of use. I thought the new grid overlay would be useful when levelling images, but it disappears in the crop/rotate window just when you need it, so a fail there.
Auto perspective correct ? A slightly better hit rate, but it doesn't seem to really be that more useful than just using the manual controls.

And that seems to be the best to be said of it.

Radial filter ? just a gimmick I won't use.
Improvements in the book module ? not much at all, Blurb's Booksmart still beats it into the corner and is free.

Hopefully something will turn up in the final release to make it as compelling an upgrade as in the past, but it's not looking worth much to me at the moment.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2013, 12:35:08 am »

Zero features worth paying for here.  A few are steps in the right direction but still not good enough to not have to go in PS, so they may as well be absent.  Should have been a point release, very blah.  I will be totally skipping a version it looks like, for the first time.

jrp

« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2013, 02:11:32 pm »

LR5 has some nice tweaks (straightening uprights, healing brush) but I agree with the previous poster that it's more of a half-point release so far.

On the negative side, it sometimes seems to need a kick (or restart) to get going on rendering full-size previews; it sticks on the first one. Speed could also be further improved on developing or importing. (Photomechanic is still the app to beat on the latter score.)

pluton

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2013, 03:34:25 am »

I am still puzzled as to why so many people rush to provide free software testing to a multi-billion dollar corporation. I am paying for this program and I expect it to work properly right from the start. If you want me to test your new software, I will send you my rate sheet. Otherwise, bugger off.

All software that has the complexity of Lightroom has defects, which the industry refers to as "bugs";  By the time the developers would have time to nearly perfect it, the open market demands that they move on to new iterations and features.
It'll never be perfect and last, that's for sure.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2013, 08:32:43 am »

Schewe:
Right click on the right side panel and check the File Handling panel. Somehow, you've got it hidden...

If it is hidden then it opened up that way after downloading directly from Adobe Labs.

Tony Jay:
Ellis, I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that you are referring to the 'make a second copy' function in the import dialog.
If, so that function is alive and well in beta copy of LR5 in the filehandling subpanel on the right.

Can't find it.

JohnBeardy:
I wonder if you accidentally hid that section. Right click another section on that side of the panel and see if one of the panels is unticked.

As I wrote above, the screen shot  is the default state as downloaded from Adobe Labs. I have clicked on the right and left side panels and checked my General and Catalog settings and presets, there is no option for it unless I am completely blind. This is the OS X version (I am running 10.8.3)  downloaded on April 17 from AdobeLabs.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2013, 09:24:03 am »

Are you really certain? Here I right clicked on File Renaming and you can see File Handling is unticked.

John

Whitney Dunn

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2013, 10:01:25 am »

Hi Ellis,

Like Jeff and John suggested, right click on the panel and make sure "File Handling" is checked. The option to make a second copy to is greyed out when you choose to "Add" photos to the catalog, but available when you choose to "Copy as DNG", "Copy" or "Move".

Cheers,
Whitney

Ellis Vener

« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2013, 12:26:03 pm »

That did the trick. I do not remember  that option being hidden before or unchecking it if it the default state is to show it.  Thank you everyone for your help in solving that mystery.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2013, 12:49:26 pm »

I found the radial filter very useful in a lot of situations, especially when the linear filter is not possible.

You can be creative and use it in all elliptical shapes to improve sharpness and a lot of things.

Thierry

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2013, 08:21:35 pm »

When the official launch goes out, I WISH Adobe can add a "This Time" or "Apply" feature to the watermark tool, WITHOUT a force to Update current or Save.

This will allow you to bring up any of the presets and then change it for the one time. This way you keep a basic rough and adjust to unique image situations.

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

hjulenissen

« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2013, 08:11:21 am »

All software that has the complexity of Lightroom has defects, which the industry refers to as "bugs";  By the time the developers would have time to nearly perfect it, the open market demands that they move on to new iterations and features.
It'll never be perfect and last, that's for sure.
It seems that the open market is quite willing to accept bugs and quirks in exchange for rapid development and many useful features.

This makes software engineering different from, say, building bridges, where the willingness to accept major failures seems to be quite low.

The interesting this is, if you ask people (users), I'd guess that most of them would say that they prefer stability/less crashes, and are willing to pay for it in terms of price and rate of development. Yet, the assumption of a free market suggests that what they get what they are willing to pay for.

-h

Ellis Vener

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2013, 08:20:43 am »

What people say they want when surveyed is often different than what they actually want. This is according to political and commercial pollsters I've worked with.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2013, 04:26:22 pm »

The Beta is OS 10.7(Lion)+ compatible only, is it confirmed that this will remain the case in the final release? Apple was shipping machines natively running 10.6(Snow Leopard) as recently as early 2011. It's estimated that close to 50% of Mac users are still using 10.6, with no intention of moving to 10.7/8 any time soon. I have no use for most of the Lion fluff, don't patronize the app or itunes stores, sync, or plan on clouding. If this is the direction Adobe is headed, may have to look elsewhere despite liking their products thus far.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2013, 05:05:43 pm »

If this is the direction Adobe is headed, may have to look elsewhere despite liking their products thus far.
Given the way Windows XP users were been dumped off the supported list with LR4, don't be surprised.

Schewe

« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2013, 05:24:43 pm »

The Beta is OS 10.7(Lion)+ compatible only, is it confirmed that this will remain the case in the final release?

Yes, 10.7+ only...and truth be told, the upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.7.5 was really pretty painless. I still have a 10.6.8 boot drive for running PPC code in Rosetta, but I have't booted into 10.6.8 in 2 months.

Rumor has it 10.9 isn't too far away...at 10.6.8 toy are 3 OS's behind soon to be 4. You will find more and more lack of support for 10.6.8. You would do yourself a favor not to lag so far behind....

schrodingerscat

« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2013, 06:17:16 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

I know, I will be assimilated...

Just don't like being herded down a path I might not like , especially when the main motivations are control and profit. Do I really want to trust my data to an industry where the bottom line is paramount? The cloud thing only works as well as the security and maintenance used to support the server farms. Just about every major corporation, including the tech and financial industries, has been hacked. Microsoft was taken down completely for over an hour. Security and maintenance are on the minus side of the balance sheet and Wallstreet don't like that. Then there are the self induced outages and FUBARs. Corporate culture still doesn't quite get digital. Or maybe they do.

In my most paranoid scenario, once the transition to clouding is well on it's way our data will just become another commodity, traded between companies much like mortgages are now. Just because you sign a contract with a service to store your data, doesn't mean that a few years from now that company still has it or even exists(ask Seth Resnick). Social media is paving the way to that outcome.

Schewe

« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2013, 07:12:57 pm »

Just don't like being herded down a path I might not like , especially when the main motivations are control and profit. Do I really want to trust my data to an industry where the bottom line is paramount?

So, who do you blame, Adobe for supporting current OS's or Apple for forcing users to adopt new OS's? Adobe started developing LR5 and chose to only support the OS's that provided the system level tools that LR5 was developed for–10.7+. LR4 dropped support for Windows XP...LR5 dropped support for Mac before 10.7. There are both financial and technical reasons for these choices...if you see this as a wide spread conspiracy, I suggest wearing tin foil hats and avoid black helicopters because clearly, they are out to get you...

In the meantime, LR5 is a useful although not hug upgrade to LR4. Course, since your system isn't supported, you can't discover this for yourself. In the meantime, I suggest you reevaluate your position on not upgrading your OS. Seem penny wise and pound foolish.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2013, 09:28:59 pm »

Hi Jeff -

Not blaming anyone, or seeing a conspiracy. As often repeated in Prizzi's Honor(great film, by the way) - "It's business"

I know I'll have to bite the bullet one day, just not expecting to have to do it due to a photo post processing app. My main point was that 10.6 is not that long in the tooth, and most of the changes in Lion.x seem more for user control than anything else. Not counting turning your computer into a big iPad. Haven't seen much about increasing overall performance.

Usta hang out on the beach at San Onofre, and if you've ever seen an OD green Marine helicopter backlit, they look black and you can't see the markings. And no, I don't glow in the dark.

SC

PS - I'm not paranoid, I know they're out to get me...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up