Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 5 Public Beta is live.  (Read 48963 times)

dreed

Re: LR 5 Public Beta is live.
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2013, 09:25:07 am »

To take "Upright" for another test drive...

First, "off" is with no Upright adjustments and a "DxO 8" image corrected using their perspective tool.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:36:08 am by dreed »

dreed

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2013, 09:31:06 am »

In these four variations...

auto - looks good except that there is still some slope in the building on the far side of the street
level - I'm not sure what it has tried to level as none of the major lines in the image are either vertical or horizontal
vertical - the middle part of the picture (dark brown building area) is close to being properly vertical
full - seems very close to the "auto" image with the top set of windows being quite obviously wrong

Jim Sanderson

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2013, 11:26:21 pm »

Using windows 8 pro.  So how does one switch to lab coordinates?

Jim

Richowens

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2013, 11:58:12 pm »

Jim,

Using Win7 I right click inside the hstogram and swtch on LAB readout.

Should be the same on Win8.

Rich

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2013, 12:25:21 am »

Just two quuestions about DNG smart previews :

Will all previews be DNG, including the 1:1 ( which still can be deleted after some time) be DNG ?

I tried to create a handful and it was very slow on my Core I5 / 8GB / Win8-64, although the overall speed of Lightroom has been improved. Is this due to debug- code ?

Many thanks for future answer

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2013, 12:34:33 am »

Will all previews be DNG, including the 1:1 ( which still can be deleted after some time) be DNG ?

No...if you look in the folder holding your catalog, you'll see two different Lightroom catalog name/Previews.lrdata which holds the standard and 1:1 previews and a new Smart Previews.lrdata which contains the Smart Previews. Two different beasts...the Smart Previews can take over and allow editing even if the main originals are off-line. Smart Previews also speed the initial Develop preview (quicker to load). The regular and 1:1 don't do anything to help the Develop preview.

If you want to think of it this way, think of Smart Previews as replacing (or augmenting) the fastload option in DNG files.

Jim Sanderson

« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2013, 12:59:55 am »

Jim,

Using Win7 I right click inside the hstogram and swtch on LAB readout.

Should be the same on Win8.

Rich

Yes, that worked fine.  Thanks much Rich.

Jim

Robert55

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2013, 03:35:46 am »

No...if you look in the folder holding your catalog, you'll see two different Lightroom catalog name/Previews.lrdata which holds the standard and 1:1 previews and a new Smart Previews.lrdata which contains the Smart Previews. Two different beasts...the Smart Previews can take over and allow editing even if the main originals are off-line. Smart Previews also speed the initial Develop preview (quicker to load). The regular and 1:1 don't do anything to help the Develop preview.

So, am I right in thinking if you've set LR up to generate Smart Previews there is no point in also having it render the 1:1's?
I'm not so much concerned about the diskspace, but it is clutter and takes time on import

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2013, 04:18:14 am »

If you want to think of it this way, think of Smart Previews as replacing (or augmenting) the fastload option in DNG files.

Hi Jeff,

many thanks for your fast answer  ;D !

Does this really make sense - as far as I know DNG's also have previews of the developed raw included. So, we have at minimum 3 images - the DNG raw-material, the incuded preview and the preview inthe LrPreeview folder.

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2013, 11:42:32 am »

So, we have at minimum 3 images - the DNG raw-material, the incuded preview and the preview inthe LrPreeview folder.

Actually, it's more complicated than that...in the main Previews folder, you have the standard preview size (based on your preferences) & the 1:1 size which is used for Library, Loupe, Survey and Compare viewing but not used in Develop. For Develop we have Smart Previews for initial load if on-line or image adjustment if off-line. The Smart Previews are lossey downsampled DNG files whose max dimension is 2550 pixels x whatever. Also stored in the Smart Previews is a reference to the pixel dimensions of the original image so that anything resolution sensitive (like sharpening and noise reduction or grain addition) can be scaled up to the original file. Yes, at 1:1 when off line, you can't view your original image resolution and thus can't accurately see the effects that are resolution dependent but LR does a decent job of "faking it".

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2013, 12:41:51 pm »

Jeff, many thanks for your extensive and very interesting answer !

Robert

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2013, 06:59:11 pm »

So far all I have a chance to play with is the radial gradient tool. I am really going to like it. A hearty thanks to the  developers for the radial gradient.
Warren

Glenn NK

« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2013, 02:09:20 am »

Glenn, I think that what you want to perform it is explained at the end of the second video introducing the new Lightroom 5 features: http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2013/04/lightroom-5-beta-now-available.html

I went to the Lightroom forum - it's explained and discussed there.  Victoria Brampton was very helpful.

However, there are some limitations to the process which are well - limiting.

Hopefully these will be "fixed".

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

dreed

« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2013, 08:56:11 pm »

I've spent some more time playing with "Upright" and comparing it to DxO's parallel lines feature. Only in very simple circumstances does "Upright" appear to get it right but having said that, equally there are times when DxO's lines feature falls short too.

The problem that the DxO interface has is that it requires me to draw lines on the image. The Lightroom interface doesn't require me to do that but clearly whatever it is using to make guesses about which edges to use is not enough.

Nearly all such images that I have contain visible boundaries where the edges are (contrast, colour change, etc). Rather than draw lines (or have the application guess), I should be able to select an edge as being one that I want to either be horizontal or vertical. I should be able to pick as many such edges across the image as I see fit. Why is this important? Because the lens distortion correction modules in both applications does not always correct the problem so you're still left with curved lines, etc, so the correction required if a line is chosen from the bottom left might be different to the top right.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2013, 07:38:05 am »

Why is the "backup while importing" option missing or at best , now non-obvious to invoke?  I understand it won't contain any processing steps I take after that but over the years it has been useful as a form of basic insurance
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:02:13 am by Ellis Vener »

Tony Jay

« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2013, 07:54:08 am »

I am speculating here Ellis but I wonder if it is not a function of it still being in the beta phase.
I confess that I don't recall the same issue with LR4 beta and I haven't checked anything myself with LR5 beta (it is on a different workstation), but I will check this out myself.

Tony Jay

Tony Jay

« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2013, 08:19:28 am »

Ellis, I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that you are referring to the 'make a second copy' function in the import dialog.
If, so that function is alive and well in beta copy of LR5 in the filehandling subpanel on the right.
If I have the wrong end of the stick I apologise.

Tony Jay

Ellis Vener

« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2013, 11:02:56 am »

I am speculating here Ellis but I wonder if it is not a function of it still being in the beta phase.
I confess that I don't recall the same issue with LR4 beta and I haven't checked anything myself with LR5 beta (it is on a different workstation), but I will check this out myself.

Tony Jay

It was there in the Lr2, 3, and 4 betas.

Tony Jay

« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2013, 11:28:47 am »

I see my post didn't get saved for some reason.

I will repeat the gist of it now.
I assume that you mean't the 'make a second copy to' function.
If you did then it is certainly present in my Lr5 beta version.
It is present in the usual place in the file handling subpanel on the right of the import dialog.

If I have the wrong end of the stick I apologise.

Tony Jay

Ellis Vener

« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2013, 11:35:48 am »

For some reason I'm not seeing that. I am using the Lr5b in OS X 10.8.3 Here's what I see (screen shot attached):
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up