Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 5 Public Beta is live.  (Read 48974 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: LR 5 Public Beta is live.
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2013, 04:34:41 pm »

I sure hope they can add a button to "Duplicate gradient or Radial" before the final release.  I'm sure it is more about GUI space vs the command, as I think it should be a snap to add.

command/option or control/alt while dragging the pin now duplicates gradients.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2013, 04:55:46 pm »

command/option or control/alt while dragging the pin now duplicates gradients.

And Radials and Adjustment Brush pins...(although you can't move and Adjustment brush pin).

BTW, you can now use the arrow keys for nudging spot healing. Command (Control) + arrow moves the destination, Shift/Command (Control) + arrow nudges the source. I have wanted this since spot healing first showed up!

Alistair

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2013, 05:55:43 pm »

Robert,

I installed the beta on my Windows 8 64 bit machine and it seems to work fine on preliminary testing. A new catalog was created with no problems. This shows that it can work with Win8.

Bill

Ditto here. No probs on Win 8 64 bit. Def can work if the planets are aligned.
Alistair

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
Re: Upright needs lots of work!
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2013, 07:18:40 pm »

The second picture, "church-dxo8" is using DxO 8's perspective correction where I define 4 corners of a trapezoid. This is my basis for comparison.

Has anything like DXO or Capture One's ability to define parallel lines or rectangles been included?  Any other improvements for perspective correction?  Skew, free transform, or parallel line definition would save me a lot of PS time!  Anything for distortion center offset w/ shift lenses?

I'll be on Mac OS 10.6.8 until new hardware comes, so I can't check.

Schewe

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2013, 07:25:51 pm »

Anything for distortion center offset w/ shift lenses?

That sort of thing would be very, very difficult. Not impossible, but very difficult. As for the rest, Upright work surprisingly well, most of the time. Not all the time but most of the time. YMMV...

alan_b

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2013, 07:40:42 pm »

That sort of thing would be very, very difficult. Not impossible, but very difficult. As for the rest, Upright work surprisingly well, most of the time. Not all the time but most of the time. YMMV...

Yeah, it's an annoying issue for what I imagine is a small set of users.  I have a few procedures to deal with it, but more convoluted than I'd like.

Capture One's tool works pretty well for shift though.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2013, 05:32:39 am »

Skew, free transform, or parallel line definition would save me a lot of PS time!  Anything for distortion center offset w/ shift lenses?

Hi Alan,

Although not the best workflow, because it requires a roundtrip to another application but, a panorama stitching application should be able to perform correct optical projection corrections (and use better resampling algorithms than bicubic). Hugin is a free open source application one could try.

In those applications, keystoning is usually corrected by defining a few 'vertical' control point pairs, one can even 'use' that to correct for lens distortion based on a single image input. Similar 'horizontal' control points can be used for squaring the subject. There are also offset parameters for the optical center.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

alan_b

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2013, 02:56:44 pm »

Hi Alan,

Although not the best workflow, because it requires a roundtrip to another application but, a panorama stitching application should be able to perform correct optical projection corrections (and use better resampling algorithms than bicubic). Hugin is a free open source application one could try.

In those applications, keystoning is usually corrected by defining a few 'vertical' control point pairs, one can even 'use' that to correct for lens distortion based on a single image input. Similar 'horizontal' control points can be used for squaring the subject. There are also offset parameters for the optical center.

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks Bart,

Yeah, PTGui is one of my typical methods - also nice because it includes exposure blending in the same app.  Other options I employ are custom PS actions based on shift amount, or Capture One's Shift setting.  I should do a comparison of all these methods in a new post sometime...

It just annoys me how clunky LR's perspective controls are when you need to correct two axes. (It works pretty well for quick 1-axis adjustments.)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2013, 03:00:54 pm »

Robert,

I installed the beta on my Windows 8 64 bit machine and it seems to work fine on preliminary testing. A new catalog was created with no problems. This shows that it can work with Win8.

Bill

Hi Bill,

many thanks for your help !

The fix fromthe Adobe forum to delete the prefs-file and have Lr recreate it solved the problem for me.

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Robert55

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2013, 04:18:07 pm »

A bit of a workaround. Would be nice if LR allowed you to toggle between working on the original or on the smart preview.

Take a look at the smart previews feature. Select some images which have smart previews generated, then rename the images' folder in Explorer/Finder. Lightroom 5 will now use the smart preview for adjustments, which should be much faster because the raw data in now much smaller. Afterwards, return the folder to its correct name.

Robert55

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2013, 04:22:13 pm »

Did they add new features after releasing public betas for prior versions of LR?
They did. Lens correction in LR3 was not in the betas. Working with 32 bit images was not in 4.0 but was added in 4.1 IIRC

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2013, 04:22:50 pm »

A bit of a workaround. Would be nice if LR allowed you to toggle between working on the original or on the smart preview.

Very good idea :)
John
Flickr

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2013, 04:47:40 pm »

Yes, I'm not sure how changing a folder name could be called anything other than a workaround. Hopefully there will be a button before too long.

Glenn NK

« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2013, 07:42:40 pm »

I sure hope they can add a button to "Duplicate gradient or Radial" before the final release.  I'm sure it is more about GUI space vs the command, as I think it should be a snap to add.

By this do you mean (for example) duplicating an adjustment brush to increase the effect?

I've often had to use an Adjustment Brush twice on an entire image to get the BG totally black (for example).  Each go around can take 10 to 15 minutes on a complex flower image.

Would be so nice to simply click on the pin, and duplicate it.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2013, 07:50:44 pm »

By this do you mean (for example) duplicating an adjustment brush to increase the effect?

I've often had to use an Adjustment Brush twice on an entire image to get the BG totally black (for example).  Each go around can take 10 to 15 minutes on a complex flower image.

Would be so nice to simply click on the pin, and duplicate it.

Glenn

It does have that ability, although I'm not sure how to do it.. I recall it being a simple step however.  The filters can be moved around after you duplicate them, the brush areas can't of course.
John
Flickr

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2013, 11:39:17 pm »

In Lr 5 you can command-option-click (on Mac) or control-alt-click (on Windows) to duplicate a local adjustment.  For linear graduated filter and radial filter adjustments, if you drag (instead of merely clicking), you can also move the duplicated adjustments.  A practical example of this is a portrait of two people, and you want to brighten the faces.  You create a RF adjustment for one face, and then you want to apply a similar adjustment to the other face.  This shortcut makes it straightforward to do that (e.g., cmd-option-drag the 1st adjustment to the other face). 

The cmd-option / ctrl-alt modifier shortcut is inspired by Photoshop.  For example, in Ps if you have a selection, you do cmd-option-drag / ctrl-alt-drag within that selection to duplicate (and move) that selection.

Local brush adjustments are not (currently) re-positionable but it may be possible in the future.
Eric Chan

Schewe

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2013, 11:51:33 pm »

Local brush adjustments are not (currently) re-positionable but it may be possible in the future.

But, you can duplicate the adjustment brush in case you want a second application to double up an effect. You just can't move it (yet as Eric says).

Glenn NK

« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2013, 11:57:28 pm »

But, you can duplicate the adjustment brush in case you want a second application to double up an effect. You just can't move it (yet as Eric says).

This is precisely what I want to do - I want to create a second brush to double up the effect from the first one - without having to do the entire procedure again.

How is this done?

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

hjulenissen

« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2013, 03:34:30 am »

Seems like a cumbersome work-around for a "sharpness"-slider that cannot create sufficient blur?

-h

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2013, 06:36:10 am »

This is precisely what I want to do - I want to create a second brush to double up the effect from the first one - without having to do the entire procedure again.

How is this done?

Glenn

Glenn, I think that what you want to perform it is explained at the end of the second video introducing the new Lightroom 5 features: http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2013/04/lightroom-5-beta-now-available.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up