Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IQ260 WiFi... anyone seen it in action  (Read 33133 times)

FredBGG

IQ260 WiFi... anyone seen it in action
« on: April 14, 2013, 10:56:47 am »

Can anyone that has seen this in action tell us how quick it actually is and if it interferes with shooting.

Can the assistant be checking files while the photographer is shooting
without it interfering with the capture speed etc?

How fast does it go form full frame to say zooming onto the face of a full length shot?

Once zoomed in can you move left and right to check other faces in the same shot quickly?

Once zoomed in can you jump to other shots keeping the same zoom?

Is there any face recognition for fast moving between faces in a single shot or keeping the zoomed in view
on the face when jumping from frame to frame if the model is moving (not in the same area between shots)?

JoeKitchen

Re: IQ260 WiFi... anyone seen it in action
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:02:02 am »

I saw this in action at a demo, and it is not pretty fast.  Maybe 5 seconds to go form the camera to iPad.  The annoying thing, and I am not sure if this can be changed or not, is that the preview always takes you to the image you just shot after it is uploaded, just like shooting tethered does.  Given the lower power of the iPad compared to a laptop, going back to the image you were just looking at is much slower.  

However, it is a nice tool to have so people are not crowding around the camera, and also so you do not have to explain why looking at an image on the ground glass up side down and backwards is actually better for judging a composition.   ;)  If you dont believe me, then why it it is much easier to see how symmetrical a person's face is by looking at the picture upside down.  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:07:06 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

FredBGG

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:53:03 am »

Thanks for the info Joe.

So does it take 5 seconds to go to each image?

lets say I've taken 20 shots and I want to go through them quickly
does it take 5 seconds to get to each shot? That would be 1 minute and 40 sec of waiting
to skip through the 20 shots... and more than that if I wanted to pop in to check focus on them all...

Is that the case?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 12:16:14 pm »

No, that would not be the case, after the images are uploaded, you can look through them very fast, just like using any other app on the iPad.  And the 5 seconds was a guess rather than an exact time; the upload is not instant but it is not long either.  The issue is when you are trying to look at the images when someone else is shooting.  Just like in Capture, the program wants to take you to the last image that was uploaded, forcing you to scroll back.  Also, the images upload slightly slower than it takes for the back to get ready to fire again.  This means if someone is firing off shots, you kind of need to wait until all of the images get uploaded, or you will go crazy scrolling back and forth.  This probably could be changed though in the app.  

If you, the shooter, is using the device to look at a few test shots, I doubt this would be an issue.  It would become an issue if you shoot a few dozen images and wanted to look at all of them right after shooting.  In that case, I would assume you would need to wait a minute or two.  Or, if you could turn off the auto feature that takes you to the last image to be uploaded, you could probably start that beginning of the session and by the time you get to the end, all of the images would be uploaded.  

I would like to stated that this experience was from a demo that I was only at for about 20 minutes.  I am not an expert on this.  Also, for what I shoot, this feature is nice, but not mouth watering, so I am not as concerned about it.  

gazwas

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 12:19:24 pm »

I was very surprised to hear the IQ2's use wireless N standard as I assumed they would be rocking the latest wireless AC standard. Wireless AC seems the obvious choice considering the application and size of file and speed needed but alas no, yesterday's wifi technology in a £25K digital back.

My upgrade is on now on hold until release what with the differences in US and UK prices to begin with followed by small things like the wifi speed, compulsory dark frame on long exposures and OTT amounts of LENR applied as standard at capture on the IQ260 pre production files I've seen. The jury is still out for me.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:22:08 pm by gazwas »
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 12:21:09 pm »

You're jumping the gun.   ::)

I'd wait until at least the first round of IQ260/IQ280s are officially released on the market.  Yes, "WiFi works" as demoed, but it has been made abundantly clear that tweaks to the software are being made before the official release/distribution.  

I'm sure Phase One didn't want to fall prey to more accusations of marketing BS.

;)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 12:31:46 pm »

You're jumping the gun.   ::)

I'd wait until at least the first round of IQ260/IQ280s are officially released on the market.  Yes, "WiFi works" as demoed, but it has been made abundantly clear that tweaks to the software are being made before the official release/distribution.  

I'm sure Phase One didn't want to fall prey to more accusations of marketing BS.

;)
I would agree with you on this.  I am sure the actual models will run much better. 

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 12:57:55 pm »

Please don't jump to conclusions.  Phase One is six weeks away from starting delivery of the the IQ 2xx series.  I have been demoing the IQ260 and iPad connection all over the world in the last few weeks.  Frankly, I think it is very cool to see a prototype that is not even the final product working like it is. I was recently in Iceland and was shooting with the IQ260 in the field using the iPad.  There is something really nice about seeing a large preview of the image you are shooting and being able to adjust the camera, f-stop etc, and re-shoot until you have it just right, all from the iPad.  Also, the long exposure capability of the IQ260 is amazing.  Phase One is having World Tour events in major cities around the world over the next 6 weeks.  Find a city close by and see these products yourself and talk to the people that are designing these cool products. There is all a video on this site showing the iPad being used in the field shooting remotely.  Check it out.

Kevin Raber
Phase One

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 01:16:37 pm »

Yes, saw it in action last week, was the IQ260 i think
.The Wifi wasn't as fast as a tethered solution, but it was quite fast, I would say 1,5-2 sec from back to Ipad.
This slows down as soon as you keep shooting 1img/second.
I would say this is an amazing thing for all things studio, but maybe less for fashion.For someone taking 5000 images a day, this may not be a solution, for someone like me, who has between 30 and 300 images on the counter, this could come handy.
Can't answer your other questions, disn't handle it myself, not in the market for an upgrade right now;-((

Tom

FredBGG

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 02:28:18 pm »

There is something really nice about seeing a large preview of the image you are shooting and being able to adjust the camera, f-stop etc, and re-shoot until you have it just right, all from the iPad.....

Kevin Raber
Phase One

What about focusing? Can you remote focus?

What are you using to see the image on the iPad? There is nothing nice about looking at an image on an iPad out in daylight.

That said I think that the WiFi implementation as far as I've seen it so far is a damn good idea. I'll be sure to check it out in person when poissible.

It would be nice to implement the same functionality over USB especially if the USB can be plugged in without a reboot of the back.
Higher speed tethered review without moving the whole huge files around taking advantage of the way you are processing files
in the back.

I review images right now in real time over HDMI and wireless HDMI on a rugged broadcast location monitor in real time,
I especially like the face recognition review functions for checcking focus, mood and expressions on faces with the camera automatically zooming in on the faces
in review mode and scrolling through different fasces if there are nore than one face in the shot.

http://youtu.be/yNajUFMpISs

It would be great to have something aproaching this on the IQ2 backs for fashion, portrait and advertizing with people in the shots.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:40:40 pm by FredBGG »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 03:59:32 pm »

Fred, you're welcome to come see the prototype in person. We have events in DC, NYC, and Texas this coming few weeks:
https://digitaltransitions.com/event/event

Your local dealer probably has similar events soon.

The version Joe saw was on an iPad 3 in retina mode. That requires transmitting four times the pixels. One likely plan for the final version is allowing the user be to work in retina mode or non retina mode via some icon or menu choice. For most use cases the "retina" resolution is not needed and maybe even counter productive (if the pixel is too physically small/dense it can be harder to evaluate sharp-vs-kinda-sharp).

Also Joe may have missed it but there is a "pause" button that holds the image you're looking at rather than automatically switch to new images.

Wireless AC spec is not mature and standardized in the way that 5ghz N is. I would have been pretty shocked if they had done AC.

Nick-T

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 04:37:43 pm »

#A
Fred is genuinely interested in Phase One products and their new features.

#B
Once again Fred is bashing MFDB with references to Nikon technologies (ie.. face recognition) which he knows full well are not part of Phase's offering.
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 04:45:44 pm »

Ding!  Answer B, of course!   ;)

It's just hard to imagine a sane person going to so much trouble as Fred does to post about something he doesn't use.  What's the point?   I used to think that Nikon paid him to slam MFDB, now I just think well....      Anyhow this is another pointless thread.  Better to wait to see what the production units do before condemning them.  

Big Cooter's posts were really great to read, always providing real insights into the business and while he had personal preferences toward gear choices, he always seemed objective and logical.  Shame we had to loose him.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:08:28 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

FredBGG

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 06:41:57 pm »

#A
Fred is genuinely interested in Phase One products and their new features.

#B
Once again Fred is bashing MFDB with references to Nikon technologies (ie.. face recognition) which he knows full well are not part of Phase's offering.

#C Nick is being a dick... ;)

I would not exclude Phase being able to implement additional functionality either in the back or on the iPad.
After all the processors in the IQ2 backs are field updatable.

Also the face recognition could be done quite nicely actually with the iPAd and the digital back working in tandem.

1 Back sends low res full frame image to iPad.
2 iPad looks at the low res image and finds the face and requests the tile from the back
3 the back sends a cropped tile of the face in screen res.
It would even be smart to do this in the background while the viewer is looking at the
full length so it's cached in the background if the user wants to check.

There is already face recognition code out there for iOS and Android.
iPhoto on the iPad can go beyond that and even recognize who the person is. Finding a face in a photo
would be easy to do.

Regarding Nikon vs the Phase review option.. there is one aspect of the Phase option that I like a lot. it's the fact
that it's a low res method with the high res staying on the camera and not getting hijacked by a member of the crew or
some assistant or guest of the clients. They get to see a low res or only crops at higher res.

A nice addition to the Phase One method would be to have the possibility of the host iPad to send desired images to other iPads
used by the rest of the crew. Very handy for makeup, hair and wardrobe to both keep an eye on things as well as see how the spread is comming out.
There is a lot of potential with this WiFi thing.

Kudos to Phase on this one.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:36:41 pm by FredBGG »

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 09:38:46 pm »

I also used the IQ260 in Iceland with Kevin a few weeks back, and it's awesome technology. It's a breath of fresh air to the medium format market, for sure.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

Nick-T

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 05:12:18 pm »

#C Nick is being a dick... ;)

O.K Fred you win. One really has to admire your tenacity.

I'm going to stay out of this forum for a while thanks to Fred and his incessant sniping.
Anyone with Hasselblad questions (an area where I have pretty good knowledge) please feel free to get in touch via my forum linked below.

Over and out (for a while anyway)

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

timparkin

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 06:18:35 pm »

The back sends an image of the appropriate size to the ipad so a retina takes four times as long as an older ipad and the mini is quicker than both. I presume this will be 'optimisable' at some point (I was seeing with a very early pre-release whilst doing the video in iceland). The ipad caches data it has received so it only loads what is needed - think of it like browsing a gigapan or google maps.

Tim

FredBGG

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 07:11:59 pm »

The back sends an image of the appropriate size to the ipad so a retina takes four times as long as an older ipad and the mini is quicker than both. I presume this will be 'optimisable' at some point (I was seeing with a very early pre-release whilst doing the video in iceland). The ipad caches data it has received so it only loads what is needed - think of it like browsing a gigapan or google maps.

Tim

It's a smart idea. I think there is a lot of potential as to what can be done using processing either on the iPad or in the back.
Keeping the data that has to be moved to a minimum is a good move. Adding some other functionality
to the iPAd end of things would be interesting to such as preview black and white conversion with a few different color filtration
options to simulate Green, Red filters etc.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 07:34:57 pm »

Fred,
When you are the last one left here, will you shut out the lights or just keep harping on Phase One and calling people derogatory names? It seems like you are single handily dismantling these forums.    :-[

Rolleiflex USA

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 07:54:42 pm »

Fred,
When you are the last one left here, will you shut out the lights or just keep harping on Phase One and calling people derogatory names? It seems like you are single handily dismantling these forums.    :-[

It's kinda sad.

More folks who actually own MFDBs and actually have medium format digital experience are decreasing participation or leaving altogether.  If this keeps up, pretty soon the only ones talking about "medium format digital"  or rather continuing the hyper-critical negative nattering on this forum----will be ones who have scant little experience with medium format digital nor do they own MFDBs.   ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up