Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: In Castillo de San Marcos  (Read 5772 times)

Dale Villeponteaux

Re: In Castillo de San Marcos
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 06:37:11 am »

Might try adding a transparent layer and paint 50% gray on the lips and fade to taste.  I think that is a technique described by Mr. Shewe in one of the video tutorials, though he used black to tone down highlights.

Thanks,
Dale
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 08:36:12 am »

Hi Patricia, hi Dale, Yes, I could spend the rest of my life working on this picture in Photoshop. In the end I'd have essentially what I already have, and I'd much rather spend that time shooting new pictures.

This guy is an actor at Castillo de San Marcos, a national monument my wife and I visit nearly every time we visit St. Augustine in Florida, one of my favorite places in all the world to do street photography. He was acting as an information booth guy at the time I shot this picture, and my wife was chatting with him. St. Augustine is the oldest continuously occupied city in the United States. It was built and settled by the Spanish in 1565, occupied by the English in 1763, re-occupied by the Spanish in 1783, and finally occupied permanently by the United States in 1821. The Castillo is the harbor fort that was built by the Spanish in the late 1600's. You can read all about the Castillo at http://www.nps.gov/casa/index.htm.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 12:06:08 pm »

Appreciate that sentiment Russ. The jpg4 I posted was an example of sliding the selection around in the eye area trying to find an area approximating lower lip structure, and with what I imagined the light falloff might have been. Certainly has given me a new appreciation of the work the volunteer restorers for victims of Sandy Hook, New Orleans etc are up against. Certainly not my skill set, but does feed none the less into what light forms for us. Thank you for providing an image I like for thinking about the whys and hows of something new to me...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:41:44 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 01:35:46 pm »

Hi Patricia, hi Dale, Yes, I could spend the rest of my life working on this picture in Photoshop. In the end I'd have essentially what I already have, and I'd much rather spend that time shooting new pictures.

This guy is an actor at Castillo de San Marcos, a national monument my wife and I visit nearly every time we visit St. Augustine in Florida, one of my favorite places in all the world to do street photography. He was acting as an information booth guy at the time I shot this picture, and my wife was chatting with him. St. Augustine is the oldest continuously occupied city in the United States. It was built and settled by the Spanish in 1565, occupied by the English in 1763, re-occupied by the Spanish in 1783, and finally occupied permanently by the United States in 1821. The Castillo is the harbor fort that was built by the Spanish in the late 1600's. You can read all about the Castillo at http://www.nps.gov/casa/index.htm.

Hot damn, Russ! The Unitred States lives there - much easier to occupy and then keep occupied than from Britain or Spain... Think of the problems we two monarchies already have with the Falklands-cum-Malvinas.

;-)

Rob C

P.S. Which is confusing: Spain has nothing to do with the Falklands, but it does with Gibraltar. And that's on the same bit of land (in Europe!). Thing is, why would anyone want it? It's one of the ugliest places I've ever been to in my life. Strategic? In today's world? About as stategic as my stockphoto plan for my old age! Worthless.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:31:37 pm by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 02:32:16 pm »

Right, Rob, but things still were somewhat touch-and-go here less than ten years after the war of 1812. The Unites States actually bought Florida from Spain. By the way, the Castillo still was a U.S. military installation, called Fort St. Mark, right up until I was 3 years old.

Just for fun, here are some tourist snaps from the Castillo.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 05:36:16 pm »

Like the Barracks piccy; reminds me of my boarding school, except that the atmosphere in the barracks was possibly more congenial. I have always thought of boarding school as punishment for the innocent: your punishment for thinking there's a better side to man than you see.

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up