Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nightmare Printer Move...  (Read 1339 times)

mattgold

Nightmare Printer Move...
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:18:49 am »

So we're in the process of moving studios.  There's an IPF8300 involved, so we needed to hire some gorillas for a helping hand.

The printer was going down an elevators, to be loaded flat and transported about 10 miles through backroads.  With those facts in mind, we opted for "level 1" moving procedures.  Everything went smoothly until we got to the elevator, as they were loading it, I took the stairs and met them on the ground floor.

When the doors opened, it was a blood bath.  Instead of keeping in tilted less than 30 degrees, they stood it on it's side to make room for both of them in the elevator.  Ink was EVERYWHERE - I almost lost my lunch.

NOW, after extensive cleaning of the elevator and exterior of printer - the printer is at the new studio.  We've taken some exterior plastic bits off and are cleaning any pools of ink.  To my surprise, the internals are relatively clean - BUT - I am scared to even turn it on again without some advice.

So now I'm here.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Any advice to share?  Any "best practices" to make sure certain components are clean before trying to use it?

Thanks so much.

Rocco Penny

Re: Nightmare Printer Move...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:38:38 am »

My advice is to contact a lawyer immediately in an attempt to recover monies to mitigate damage and cleaning.
Two things come to mind;
1)how do you know this hasn't significantly damaged your unit?
2)you did use a professional service that has insurance and bonding, right?

mattgold

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 10:03:05 am »

I know what you're saying and those steps are already being taken.

But I am looking to salvage THIS one.  Who knows how long the process can take and I'd like to have this printer back online ASAP.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 11:12:30 am »

Were the movers bonded?  If so their insurance should cover everything.  I have moved (2) 9880's and (1) 9900 printers and each time the movers showed up with only 2 men and a jack.  Two can actually move a 9880, but the 9900 is another matter.   They went back and got a 3rd man.  I had to tip up the printers to get them through a narrow doorway, but they were not full of ink.   You will pay more for a bonded crew, but insurance is key concern for me.  Hope things work out for you. 

Odds are the printer is fine, but the issue may be how much ink is in and around the platen area as that can be very hard to get clean.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

mattgold

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 11:31:07 am »

Yeah, I'm not worried about being reimbursed (well, maybe a little) but they are insured, etc.

The goal now is to have the machine back up and operational ASAP without buying a new one or waiting for insurance to cut a check.

I popped the plastic bits off and most is surprisingly clean.  I'm just wondering what I should focus on / what I'm not looking at.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 01:29:49 pm »

I couldn't find it just now on a search, but there was a long horror story of the type posted a year or so ago.  I think the upshot was...dead printer

a.lorge

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 02:02:32 pm »

Happened to me once:  Here is a thread: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=50096.0

Aside from making a god awful mess, everything eventually worked fine.  Some ink got in the platen and caused a some issues with stray marks on prints, but after a thorough cleaning, it ceased to be a problem.  Good luck.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 06:54:39 pm »

Do what you will about cleaning and researching what can be done to mitigate issues, etc., but in the long run, you'll need to eventually turn it on and start printing.  I suggest getting some cheap paper, the maximum width and start printing print after print, which should pick up whatever ink or stray spillage.  Once you have a clean print, try printing one with a super light grey or whatever, just really very light and see if anything comes up on it.  If the printer hasn't sustained damage, you're probably good to go.

I deal with a lot of equipment and I've learned over the years that often just getting the thing back up and running is the best for it.  Short of a tear down, and thorough cleaning, eventually you will have to plug it in and turn it on.

If you're totally concerned about it, or bad feelings persist, invest in a extended warranty if available and get a tech to come take a look at it.  He'll probably check it out then turn it on, then start making prints...

Good luck - hope it's minor.  BTW - I'll bet that elevator floor never looked so good then after you cleaned it, LOL.  Stuff happens, right?
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up