Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Inkjet paper for fashion photography  (Read 3488 times)

The View

Best Inkjet paper for fashion photography
« on: April 13, 2013, 07:19:02 pm »

I'd like to find a paper that shows a full range from rich black to whites, and there's probably one glossy paper that would work that way.

I'd like it also to show detail very well, and shows nuances very well, and would work well with colors that aren't very saturated.

Any suggestions on a paper I might try, high gloss or not, which would work well with a full range from bright to black, shows high detail, and has no texture?

I'm currently testing Ilford smooth gloss, but would like to hear about suggestions on other papers.

It's for my printed portfolio, so cost isn't exactly a concern. I intend to print 11x17 with a Canon 9500 mark II.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

Re: Best Inkjet paper for fashion photography
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 07:41:15 pm »

By the way: how's the Canon Pro Platinum High Gloss paper?

People on the B&H website seem to love it.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

BrianWJH

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:20:48 pm »

Have you tried Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique or Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk?

Cheers.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:32:34 am »

Epson Cold and Hot Press and BC Elegance Velvet positively ooze retro sophistication and, yes, Elegance.  Not the hugest color gamuts out there, but not bad either.  Will make all those photographers showing crass, glossy prints look like punks.  Seriously.  Think Stieglitz Conde Nast and Vanity Fair stuff.  Worth a google.

texshooter

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 03:09:19 am »

i havnt tried ilford prestige smooth high gloss, but its suppose to be a new breed of glossy paper.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 09:40:25 am »

Have you tried Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique

Hi Brian,

I just purchased a box on a tradeshow a few hours ago, for profiling and test prints. The samples I saw on display looked very convincing to me, also in comparison with other materials. Canson Infinity Platine Fiber Rag also looked good, but with a slightly coarser surface structure (which supposedly is a bit more durable, or so I was told), and a slight tendency for not remaining flat.

The flatness and the more subtle 'Satin' surface of the Baryta have my preference. It's not high gloss, but that is difficult to display without reflections spoiling the fun. The Baryta's Satin finish is very effective in more challenging lighting situations, and it seemed to allow a high dynamic range with deep blacks.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:39:34 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 10:05:41 am »

i havnt tried ilford prestige smooth high gloss, but its suppose to be a new breed of glossy paper.

It is a white PET film actually, 215 grams. There are more like that, Pictorico, Bonjet, Canon. Some are very similar, some not and weights can differ. The high gloss of film requires much care in mounting.

The Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth Gloss is available as a 310 grams RC paper and identical to the Pearl version in all but the surface. I use the last and like it with my HP Z printers.

The suggestion to go for high quality matte papers instead of the usual gloss glamour is something I can support but it remains a matter of taste. There are good papers in several categories.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2012, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

The View

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 03:53:27 pm »

Epson Cold and Hot Press and BC Elegance Velvet positively ooze retro sophistication and, yes, Elegance.  Not the hugest color gamuts out there, but not bad either.  Will make all those photographers showing crass, glossy prints look like punks.  Seriously.  Think Stieglitz Conde Nast and Vanity Fair stuff.  Worth a google.

I'm actually not retro at all, but very contemporary (while some of my favorites are from the 40's to 60's - and black and while, while I exclusively do color).

The problem is that you recommended Epson papers only, and I have a Canon printer - there wouldn't be any ICC paper profiles for a Canon printer for Epson papers.

I think I'd love the slight gloss of classic paintings (whatever finish those painters were using), but without any texture.

PS: You mentioned photographers making crass, glossy prints. I haven't seen other photographer's glossy prints (but pretty much disliked the flat looking glossy prints they had as samples at the store).

Do you think that glossy is insulting to the eye per se, or did those photographers just tweak up the saturation too much, etc.?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:10:30 pm by The View »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 04:10:17 pm »

The Photorag Satin and similar Museo where the printed image is near satin and the white stays matte?

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 05:30:44 pm »

Breathing Color (recommended by Bill above) does have profiles available for your printer....

The View

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 06:40:24 pm »

Is this a profile by Epson, or a profile somebody else posted on the web?

If I can get a profile for my printer, I'll definitely look at Epson's Breathing Color papers.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 06:47:52 pm »

If I can get a profile for my printer, I'll definitely look at Epson's Breathing Color papers.

See, www.breathingcolor.com

Breathing Color is a manufacturer/seller of fine art papers and canvas media for inkjet printers.  They have their own profiles for printers, and you can also request custom icc profiles for your own printer for their papers.

ken

The View

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 03:30:36 pm »

See, www.breathingcolor.com

Breathing Color is a manufacturer/seller of fine art papers and canvas media for inkjet printers.  They have their own profiles for printers, and you can also request custom icc profiles for your own printer for their papers.

ken

Thanks for the info. Checking out the site...

The View

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 03:30:59 pm »

Any feedback on the quality of the Canon Platinum Pro papers?

BrianWJH

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 06:50:10 pm »

Canson have profiles for your Canon Pixma Pro 9500 Mark II for all their papers here http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/icc_choice.asp

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up