Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strategies for Shooting Waterfalls in Misty Conditions  (Read 761 times)

R McCadden

Strategies for Shooting Waterfalls in Misty Conditions
« on: April 12, 2013, 10:55:13 pm »

Hi all, first post here.

I'm heading out to shoot some waterfalls tomorrow and it's been a while since I have done any serious landscape photography.  One thing I remember struggling with during my first visit to the Oregon Gorge, May 2009 I believe, was the mist.  It totally caught me by surpise.  I had no idea that I would be shooting in the wet conditions that were present. I was fortunate enough to meet some super nice local photographers that helped me do my best to fight the mist with the gear I had brought, but I still ended up with most shots being ruined by big spots of water and condensation.

This time I'm coming more prepared yet, at the same time, wonder if there are any more measures I could be taking.  I will have with me a Rainsleeve and CPL to protect my body and lens from damage and will use a shower cap over my lens while setting up, for initial composition, and to keep the CPL dry between exposures.  I will also have a few terry cloth washcloths to soak up any major water and a number of microfiber lens cloths to do my final cleaning.

Is there anything else that I may be missing?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Strategies for Shooting Waterfalls in Misty Conditions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 11:28:52 pm »

There are filters with special, water-repellant coating... makes cleaning a breeze.

Also, you might want to check how photographer Mark Metternich, over at Fred Miranda forums, dealt with a similar situation here.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:32:36 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

R McCadden

Re: Strategies for Shooting Waterfalls in Misty Conditions
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:52:56 pm »

Thanks Slobodan, I didn't know that they had the specialty filters.  I like the idea of using the umbrella too; could be cleaner than using the shower cap. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up