Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long "Loading" message when zooming to 1:1?  (Read 1647 times)

kdern

Long "Loading" message when zooming to 1:1?
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:06:44 pm »

I am seeing very long "Loading" times when I zoom into a 1:1 on a photo. It's the same on both RAW and JPG photos.

Example - I just imported 50 photos in JPG format. Each photo is only about 4 MB. After the photos are imported, 1:1 previews are generated. I wait until this process is complete. But then when I try to zoom to 1:1 in the library or develop modes, it takes 6-8 seconds for the image to look sharp and the "loading" to go away.

To complicate things - if I select one of these newly imported photos and go to LIBRARY / PREVIEWS and tell it to generate a 1:1 preview, then I can zoom to 1:1 with no "loading" message at all. It still takes a second or two, but it's much better.

So what could be going on here? If 1:1 previews are being generated upon import (as it says by the progress bar in the top left of the screen), then why does it take so long to load at 1:1? And why would rendering 1:1 previews again make a difference?

I am using Lightroom 4.4 on a Macbook Air. I have 70GB free on my laptop, so I don't think hard drive space is an issue. Here are my current catalog settings:

PhotoEcosse

Re: Long "Loading" message when zooming to 1:1?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 05:19:48 am »

Isn't the point that the "Previews" are low-res images. When you then want to use 1:1 for any processing purpose, it has to generate a full-resolution version for display.

However 6-8 seconds seems a long time for a 4Mb file. It takes an average of about 5 seconds to do it with one of my 45Mb D800 Raw files.

You mention the free space on your hard disc. But it is really RAM that is important - you need at least 16Gb to operate LR4 efficiently with large image files in my experience (despite what Adobe say about "minimum system requirements").
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:21:32 am by PhotoEcosse »
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

eliedinur

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 06:36:02 am »

Telling us that they are 4 MB jpgs is meaningless. They could be minimally compressed 2,000x3,000 pixels images or highly compressed 10,000x15,000 pixels. What are the pixel dimensions?

BTW, the Library and the Develop modules use different previews and different ways of creating those previews. When you ask for a 1:1 view in the Library a full sized jpg is created, however when you set a 1:1 view in Develop a full resolution version of only the relevant section on your screen is made. For this reason going to 1:1 in Develop should be much faster.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 06:44:03 am by elied »
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

kdern

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 11:21:53 am »

Thanks for the help. The image dimensions are 4800x3200.

When I import the images, I think I am creating 1:1 previews, not low res previews. At least that's what it says in the upper left after the images are imported.

So how do you all suggest I handle previews to avoid the long loading times? I'm confused!
Pages: [1]   Go Up