Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twelve apostles  (Read 1064 times)

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Twelve apostles
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:20:17 pm »

Well, there are thousand of photos of this iconinc place and when I got there the light was not really great. It was a cloudy, hazy day so it was really flat looking.

I decided to go with a long exposure for the effect in the water and then post process in B&W

I'll appreciate your comments and critiques,
Thanks for watching

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Twelve apostles
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:31:41 pm »

I like what you've done very much. The band of darker sky at the top is a bit disconcerting, but I don't know what you had to work with in the frame. I've been in similar situations and made similar decisions. Haven't seen this elsewhere but it is a beautiful spot; where is it? Oh, forget it, I can Google it! :-[

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:53:19 pm »

David,

Thank you for your comments. Sorry I forgot about the location. This place is in the south coast of Australia, west of Melbourne (Victoria).

About the band of darker sky: It is a strip of darker clouds and I thought it could serve as a frame to the image (there is no cropping in the image, its framed as shot) Do you think it would have worked better without it?

Regards,

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 05:06:42 pm »

Yes, every aspirant landscape photographer in Australia has shot the Twelve Apostles, or wants to.
It is an iconic location in Australia, just like Uluru, that for practical purposes is non-discretionary for landscape photographers.
Sadly, one of the twelve stacks collapsed recently so only eleven are left.

I don't know if Francisco has the opportunity to shoot there again but if I lived in Melbourne I would be out there every other weekend until I nailed a great shot.
He has done a good job, given the conditions at the time, but one often gets absolutely magical light at that location.

Tony Jay

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 06:16:06 pm »

Francisco,
Forgive me, please, I save the jpeg and used a few content-aware fills to remove that top darker band. Not a good job, just wanted to see. I think it is your preference that is important, so go with your gut.
I have to get there, Tony, keeping your comments viz the light in mind...I can see the photo title: And then there were eleven apostles. Haven't been to Australia for many years; way too long!

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 08:35:10 pm »

Tony: Thanks for your comments. Yes, I will definetly go back. (not able to do it every weekend :)).
I have seen a lot of images with "magic" light but it was not there a couple of days ago.

David: No worries, I appreciate your feedback. That's why I posted in the user critiques forum. I see your point, still I haven't decided yet which version I prefer yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up