Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding text on a print, underneath the image area....  (Read 2939 times)

Dinarius

Adding text on a print, underneath the image area....
« on: April 11, 2013, 09:57:16 am »

I want to print an image relatively small - about A4 - on an A3 sheet of paper.

On the print, underneath the image area, I want to add a number.

In Photoshop, I can increase the Canvas Size (coloured white) and the use the Type Tool to create the number.

But, this means that the shade of white will have to be printed too. Right? If so, this will clash with the surrounding paper white, and I don't want this.

So, is there any way of making just the bare number appear on my print and nothing else? Can I increase the canvas size in a colourless way? If the colour I choose is 0,0,0, will this mean that no ink is used on this area of the print?

Thanks.

D.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Adding text on a print, underneath the image area....
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:55:05 am »

In Photoshop, I can increase the Canvas Size (coloured white) and the use the Type Tool to create the number.

But, this means that the shade of white will have to be printed too. Right?

Hi,

No, pure White in the image is simply no ink, leaving whatever the paper color is. This assumes the Paper profile doesn't force some color on pure white image areas. Most printers do not print with white ink.

If it does force some color on white areas, you can try and create a larger transparent image layer where you paste a copy of your flattened image on. Then between the transparent bottom layer and you image top layer you can create a text layer. However, there is a chance that the printer driver will change the transparent area to White though, so you should try it first.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 05:25:44 pm »

Don't print maximum black on the type.  Something like RGB 192:192:192 will look more elegant than D-max black.

Edit: doh, was thinking inverted, again!  Meant something like RGB 64:64:64 which is a very dark gray.  Just ask any graphic artist, it's the right thing to do for type on white.

Back when I was printing borders around images so that I could sign in the white area I found that the Premium Luster white looked rather glaring and stark against the paper matte white.  I can't remember the exact formula, but printing the surrounding white with roughly RGB 253:254:254 toned it down to where it was more harmonious with the overall framing scheme.  Also tried printing faux paper texture on the border, that was less successful.  Faux beveled mattes are also interesting and quite convincing if done well, but that's another story.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:19:20 am by bill t. »

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 07:00:00 pm »

Don't print maximum black on the type.  Something like RGB 192:192:192 will look more elegant than D-max black.

Back when I was printing borders around images so that I could sign in the white area I found that the Premium Luster white looked rather glaring and stark against the paper matte white.  I can't remember the exact formula, but printing the surrounding white with roughly RGB 253:254:254 toned it down to where it was more harmonious with the overall framing scheme.  Also tried printing faux paper texture on the border, that was less successful.  Faux beveled mattes are also interesting and quite convincing if done well, but that's another story.

Faux beveled mattes!  Lord save us.    ;D

daws

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 07:06:57 pm »

I want to print an image relatively small - about A4 - on an A3 sheet of paper.

But, this means that the shade of white will have to be printed too. Right? If so, this will clash with the surrounding paper white, and I don't want this.

So, is there any way of making just the bare number appear on my print and nothing else? Can I increase the canvas size in a colourless way? If the colour I choose is 0,0,0, will this mean that no ink is used on this area of the print?

Thanks.

D.

No such problems have appeared when I've printed text-under-image on my Epson 2880... simply increase the canvas size, position the image and text where you want them, and print away. It doesn't affect the paper in the border around the image.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 04:30:54 am »

You can do this very easily when printing out of Lightroom by using the Identity Plate facility.  I found it not that obvious how to do this to begin with, but you can move the text anywhere you want including outside of the image area.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:37:11 am by Jim Pascoe »
Pages: [1]   Go Up