Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert JPEG to TIFF  (Read 1595 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Convert JPEG to TIFF
« on: April 11, 2013, 01:21:34 am »

Before I understood what I Was doing, i accumulated a large number of JPEG files which are in my LR library

What is the best way to convert all these files to TIFF, so I can work on them without the JPEG compression Problems?

MDIJB

mdiimaging.com

IanBrowne

Re: Convert JPEG to TIFF
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 02:32:50 am »

you will not damage the jpg files by editing in LR so don't worry about it.

If you still want to do it you just need to export as a TIFF imo. Just check the buttons to click so the tiff are available in LR. I haven't actually done it myself.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 05:18:31 am »

you will not damage the jpg files by editing in LR so don't worry about it.

That is true. But you will get further compression if you then export your edits as another Jpeg. But, by alsways going back to the original Jpeg, you can limit any such degradation to one step.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:27:07 am »

IF you apply parametric edits in LR, there's no damage. It's only textual data that describes an edit WHEN you export. As other's have said, at that point, saving out as a TIFF would make sense. Now keep in mind that IF you apply such edits in LR, but open that JPEG outside it (or ACR), those edits are not seen (they haven't been applied to the JPEG image data, it's just text at this point). So if you always keep the JPEG's in LR and do further editing there and you export that new iteration as a TIFF, that's the best way to prevent further JPEG damage (cause you now have a TIFF). But if you intent to keep the JPEG's in LR forever, might as well keep them as JPEG's.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 12:37:55 pm »

But if you intent to keep the JPEG's in LR forever, might as well keep them as JPEG's.
I keep any JPEG originals as DNGs, mainly so that I can tell at a glance (in Explorer, Finder, whatever ) that these files are originals and not just JPEGs I've generated to email someone etc.

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 01:57:36 pm »

Quote from above

"I keep any JPEG originals as DNGs, mainly so that I can tell at a glance (in Explorer, Finder, whatever ) that these files are originals and not just JPEGs I've generated to email someone etc."

Does this mean I can have LR convert the JPEGS to DNG files and go from there.  any downside to doing this??    That would be a lot easier than exporting as tiffs and then re-importing.

MDIJB

mdiimaging.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 02:02:42 pm »

Yes, that's what I mean, and Library > Convert Photos to DNG is perhaps the easiest way if the JPEGs are already in LR. I've been doing this for a few years and haven't found a disadvantage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up