Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing/Synchronizing JPG Copies  (Read 1600 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Importing/Synchronizing JPG Copies
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:41:40 pm »

I worked on a TIFF image in Photoshop then saved it as a JPG, which I intended to upload to a web site using the Lr4 export feature. The file is in the correct folder, I can see it there in Windows Explorer, and Photoshop is fully aware of it. However, I cannot find it in Lr4. I did a synchronize folder, which did not discover it, then I tried importing it as a new file and it will not show up in the import screen. How do I get this file to show up in Lr4?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
Re: Importing/Synchronizing JPG Copies
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 12:38:52 am »

Drag the image from Windows Explorer into Lightroom.

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 06:30:49 am »

Dragging the image from the folder looks like it wants to work, but it doesn't. When I drag the image into the Lr grid view, the screen switches to the import screen but the JPG image is not among the images in the import screen, which are all grayed out because they are already imported. It is the same as if I used the import command.

But, your suggestion gave me an idea - add a new folder and import to it. This worked. I created a new sub-folder in the main folder and put the missing image in it. Then I synchronized the main folder and it found the new folder and the image without further issues.

This seems a bit odd, but I suppose there is probably a good explanation, thanks.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 09:44:51 am »

It's effectively the raw+JPEG problem. Unless you set the file handling option, LR thinks the JPEGs shouldn't be imported.

jrsforums

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 01:29:51 pm »

Personally, I never save a jpeg.

If I need to send a raw file to PS, it gets saved backing LR as a TIF (PSD, if you choose).

If I am loading it to a website or emailing, I use an export plugin which creates the jpeg in a temp folder, sends it,  the deletes the jpeg.

So far it has worked for me....John
John

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 02:47:20 pm »

I'll check the import settings I'm using. I don't normally import JPGs either - I have my camera set to not even create them. However, in this case I wanted to use a JPG copy of a TIFF and I wanted more control over the JPG settings than the export feature was giving me. I'd noticed this issue before but not really bothered to figure it out. Perhaps this time I'll work out the real answer. ::)

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 12:21:17 am »

Remo,

In case you're still working this: as johnbeardy indicated, it's almost certainly caused by LR's treatment of JPEGs.  Under Preferences / General / Import Options check the box for "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos."

Mark

jrsforums

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 08:11:11 am »

I wanted more control over the JPG settings than the export feature was giving me.

Just curious.  What functions did export not give you?
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up