Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out-Gasing on Premium Lustre  (Read 6455 times)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Out-Gasing on Premium Lustre
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 12:28:27 pm »

At one time I was dumb enough to make postcards with my 44" printer.  I had a "master page" with 2 pixel "tick marks" around the horizontal and vertical edges.  The "Snap" was set up so I could very quickly simply drop properly sized images into the snap grid.  Used a 2" wide x 48" Alvin stainless steel cutter to slice them up on a cutting matte.  With a little technique it was easy and the cuts accurate enough for a true bleed look.  Hint...don't cut all the way to the edges, use that extra 1" border all around to keep the whole thing cohesive, even as you start to lift out prints when you start to do the slices at 90 degrees to the first ones.

There was company a few years ago that specialized in cutting exotic fine art media into 8, 10, 13, etc inch rolls.  Bought my 7800 from them.  I guess they're gone now.

jferrari

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 08:10:49 am »

Problem with that is the cutting afterwards.  I don't have a large cutter, so the 10" roll required only one cut across the 10" width to produce perfect 8x10s. 

Mike, it's exactly the same. Only one cut. Print them 5-up, printer cuts off the strip, you use your utility knife and a straight edge for the other cut. Same as you have been except you can actually find 44" stock to use.     - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 10:40:30 pm »

hmmm... now you got me thinking Jim... but you're still wasting 4" of paper.  I set up a paper size on the 10" roll for everything from 1 8x10 to 20 8x10s at at time.  So I'm only loosing about and inch of paper even on the 20x 8x10 output using normal cut.  With the number of 8x10s I produce, that unused paper adds up.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:44:54 pm by Mike Guilbault »
Mike Guilbault

hugowolf

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 11:58:41 pm »

So have a look at the price difference between 10 inch and 44 inch paper, per square foot – that four inches maybe taken up by the cost differential.

A good paper trimmer, Dahle or Rotatrim, will outlast your printer by several decades.

Brian A

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 12:55:12 pm »

Good point... I'll do some checking
Mike Guilbault

smjphoto

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 06:48:27 am »

So what if you use 17" for 2at 8" wide at a time and trim them with a small paper cutter... Or 3 wide for 24" if they're not borderless. If  a 10" roll will work, it would seem a 24" would, also.
Just a thought...

Stuart

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 07:46:10 pm »

Guess I'm just lazy. ;)   It took me a few days to get the 10" roll printing perfectly, i.e.. perfectly centred without using the Expand printing option (which would throw off the 8" side) including a slight shift of the left margin, again to make it perfect. With finding a roll of 10" paper would be so much easier... but alas, that is not my lot in life.  Didn't win the $63M in last night's 649 lottery either. Life's a beach.

Seriously though, I will look more into this once I decide if a need to switch from EPM.  thnks for the encouragement.
Mike Guilbault

RachelleK

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 09:59:54 pm »

Guess I'm just lazy. ;)   It took me a few days to get the 10" roll printing perfectly, i.e.. perfectly centred without using the Expand printing option (which would throw off the 8" side) including a slight shift of the left margin, again to make it perfect. With finding a roll of 10" paper would be so much easier... but alas, that is not my lot in life.  Didn't win the $63M in last night's 649 lottery either. Life's a beach.

Seriously though, I will look more into this once I decide if a need to switch from EPM.  thnks for the encouragement.

Atlex sells 16" EPM rolls.  Only have to have one cut and no waste.

http://www.atlex.com/epson-ultra-premium-photo-paper-luster-16-x-100ft-roll.html

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 10:58:07 am »

Problem is I'm trying to find something other than Premium Lustre.  I'd just go with the 24" rolls in that case.  I'll have to order some samples and try a few.
Mike Guilbault
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up