Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My review of the Wescott Rapid Box Octa  (Read 2943 times)

• Aboud's on-line gallery
My review of the Wescott Rapid Box Octa
« on: April 09, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »

I just bought a Wescott Rapid Box Octa for an upcoming assignment where I have to travel by air. This umbrella like softbox is 26" and works with your shoe-mount flash. It has a high reflective silver material that results in a small one-stop loss with the diffusion material in place. The light stand/ bracket is highly adjustable and looks to accommodate almost any shoe-mount strobe. I did an extensive write-up on it along with some photos for you to view. Go to
A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer in your pants.

Ellis Vener

Re: My review of the Wescott Rapid Box Octa
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:45:40 PM »

Westcott makes fine gear but I prefer the Chimera Octa 2 Beauty Dish. which works well as a beauty dish, a straight forward Octagonal softbox or an open faced (no diffuser, no internal deflector) octagonal reflector. I have used it with everything from 2400 w-s Profoto pack and single head; high powered  (1,200 w-s)  battery powered lights;  monolights (mostly Paul C. Buff Einsteins); and single and doubled up Canon Speedlites.
I packs up flatter than the Westcott apparently does, is well sewn and produces great light. I've used it as a key light for still life work, corporate , editorial and advertising portraits , and asa fill and accent light. Lightools now makes a grid for it but I haven't tried that yet.

The Chimera Versi mount for small hotshoe type flashes is certainly better made than the plastic Westcott one.
Ellis Vener
Creating photographs for advertising, corporate and industrial clients since 1984.
Pages: [1]   Go Up