Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma 35mm f1.4 on D800  (Read 34594 times)

Fine_Art

Re: Sigma 35mm f1.4 on D800
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2013, 10:38:16 pm »

Meaningless as everyone who has ever worked in a service industry knows you always hear about problems but rarely hear from the satisfied.

You do realize there is a difference between a forum and a customer feedback system for a manufacturer?

If this was a Sigma Customer website you would have a valid point. The same if it was the list of reviews from customers at B&H. That is not how a forum works. Responses here are based on how interesting the subject is to active users.

Mattnord

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2013, 07:07:18 pm »

When buying this lens, it's very hit or miss. I bought one yesterday, and while the optics were amazing, the AF was out of control! Focused about 4 ft too far away at medium distances, and about 3 inches too CLOSE at short distances. I've never seen anything like it before. Went back to my store this morning (which luckily is 5 minutes away) and switched to another copy. This one is MUCH better, I just had to dial in some fine tuning (to be expected with any brand lens), and everything was fine.

So, I would only buy this from a store with a good returns policy, and be prepared to try a few copies before you find a "hit". For the price and performance compared to Nikon's offering though, I'm happy. It's insane how sharp it is wide open. I also really like the strong vignetting, although this can of course also be seen as a negative.

As a plus, I definitely prefer the build "feel" of the Sigma to the Nikon model.

Best,
Matt

leeonmaui

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2013, 10:09:06 pm »

aloha,

Holy drifting focal planes batman!
Some grumpy people here today!

Torbjörn Tapani

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2013, 02:56:59 pm »

Got one copy this week. Sharpness at infinity fully open is important for me (wide field astro) and it's OK at f/1.4 but mine had some decentering issue. Center and upper edge was fine but lower edge was out of focus so I sent it back for replacement today. Some coma at left and right edges but maybe that's to be expected.

But I had another problem I just noticed last night. I had some form of condensation problem. Showed up as really bad flares around light sources. A dime sized patch of condensation on the inside of the front element. I have never seen this on my Nikon glass so I'm a bit worried right now that this will become a major issue for me. I'm living in a cold climate so maybe I will have to develop some kind of routine before taking the lens out in below freezing conditions.

Fine_Art

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2013, 05:47:30 pm »

Got one copy this week. Sharpness at infinity fully open is important for me (wide field astro) and it's OK at f/1.4 but mine had some decentering issue. Center and upper edge was fine but lower edge was out of focus so I sent it back for replacement today. Some coma at left and right edges but maybe that's to be expected.

But I had another problem I just noticed last night. I had some form of condensation problem. Showed up as really bad flares around light sources. A dime sized patch of condensation on the inside of the front element. I have never seen this on my Nikon glass so I'm a bit worried right now that this will become a major issue for me. I'm living in a cold climate so maybe I will have to develop some kind of routine before taking the lens out in below freezing conditions.

If your camera bag has foam padding the insulation value should let it adjust without condensation when you bring it back in to a warm area. Give it an hour. Wrapping in clothes or a plastic bag also work.

Taking it out into the cold should be ok.

Fine_Art

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2013, 05:49:52 pm »

When buying this lens, it's very hit or miss. I bought one yesterday, and while the optics were amazing, the AF was out of control! Focused about 4 ft too far away at medium distances, and about 3 inches too CLOSE at short distances. I've never seen anything like it before. Went back to my store this morning (which luckily is 5 minutes away) and switched to another copy. This one is MUCH better, I just had to dial in some fine tuning (to be expected with any brand lens), and everything was fine.

So, I would only buy this from a store with a good returns policy, and be prepared to try a few copies before you find a "hit". For the price and performance compared to Nikon's offering though, I'm happy. It's insane how sharp it is wide open. I also really like the strong vignetting, although this can of course also be seen as a negative.

As a plus, I definitely prefer the build "feel" of the Sigma to the Nikon model.

Best,
Matt

I agree, the new Sigma build style is very good.

Torbjörn Tapani

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2013, 06:42:34 pm »

If your camera bag has foam padding the insulation value should let it adjust without condensation when you bring it back in to a warm area. Give it an hour. Wrapping in clothes or a plastic bag also work.

Taking it out into the cold should be ok.

Yes I have the habit of taking the card out and leave the camera and lenses in the padded bag to acclimatize when going inside. But this problem occured when going out. I was close to water not yet completely frozen over and temperature -8C so maybe bad conditions for a lens. No problems with the Nikon zoom I used instead.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2013, 09:52:42 pm »

Okay, I'll bite.  My copy is very sharp.  Focus requires no adjustment.  I like the lens hood too.

My 85/1.4 has similar resolution but renders a little smoother.  I like the bite from the sigma.  And I swore I'd never buy a sigma.   ;D

Rory
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up