Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Coffee Pot Recommendations  (Read 39695 times)

Rob C

Re: Coffee Pot Recommendations
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2013, 03:59:10 pm »

Two heaped teaspoons of Nescafe Classic with a spot of milk is perfect for me, easy and quick. I've given up on percolators, presses and whatever else, it's not worth the bother.

A man after my own heart:

" Why don't you simply buy a jar of Nescafé?

We have had several different percolators, and over the decades tried umpteen types of beans. At the end of the day, you realise that it's all a huge con - a game of brands designed to lighten the load of your wallet from off your shoulder. At least, nobody (as far as I know) talks about 'nose' or it being a 'good traveller' or anything quite like that - yet; but give it time.

If you want good coffee, you won't make it at home. And you won't find it in a franchise, either. But you will find all manner of froth, which might really be someone's thing; can be quite cute when your girlfriend raises her head with a tiny bead of creamy foam on the tip of her nose. The danger of the dreaded cappucchino, what had you imagined?

The battle is already over. You never stood a chance.

;-)

Rob C "

Everything else is just too much effort in return for reward.

Rob C

Rocco Penny

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2013, 07:25:45 am »

so the cowboy coffee I'm used to drinking couldn't be easier-
you must and I repeat, MUST find a desirous coffee,
I like yuban-
there, I said it,
yep just yucky over the counter roasted in cali mass produced cowboy coffee.
Then- a nice teapot the kind that sings and eventually screams if'n overwrought-
the water,
it comes from the creekside well, and full of minerals,
I notice the diff usng cleaner water, but if'n your gonna live you may as well not be too pretty about it,
so boil the h2o and pour it just so nice through the coffee and paper filter in a cone.
easy peasy,
and if you drink several cups a day,
just the brutality of this treatment  will have you cutting back to 1 or maybe 2

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2013, 09:38:43 am »

When my father was growing up in Norway, his mother used to make coffee in what my father called the "Norwegian traditional" way: She poured ground coffee and water into a kettle and boiled the living daylights out of it.

Later on in life, her sons and aughter decided to give her a birthday gift of a brand new percolator. She was delighted! She immediately threw out the innards (all the stuff that percolates the coffee), poured ground coffe and water into the shiny new pot, and boiled the living daylights out of it.

My Norwegian grandmother was a wonderful person. I met her first when I was 13. When she was in her 90s, her favorite activity was visiting the elderly in the Old Folks Home to entertain them by singing Lutheran hymns to them. I think all of the old folks were a good ten years or so younger than she was.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2013, 09:48:49 am »

When she was in her 90s, her favorite activity was visiting the elderly in the Old Folks Home to entertain them by singing Lutheran hymns to them.

What a let-down, Eric!

I had at least hoped she'd make them some coffee!

;-)

Rob C

Rocco Penny

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2013, 10:22:55 am »

if she did she'd have probably liked to have used this;

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2013, 07:08:11 am »

I forgot to embed this in my earlier post  :-[   A shot of my "coffee setup".  Andrew and I happen to have the same brewing unit. I also do a bit of roasting my own as it were. This roaster will do about 1/2 pound of beans at a time, and is a pretty neat device, when the desired degree of roasting is reached it drops the hot beans into a tray where they are agitated and cooled by a fan.

Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Rob C

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2013, 09:31:36 am »

I didn't realise prior to this thread that coffee is just as controversial a matter as CaNikLei, with similar pricing structures and even, I suspect, little large red dots or equivalent marking the status lines.

I suppose that there must be some definitive websites somewhere posting the essential figures for bean consistency, its provenance and, especially, the range of temperatures between which it must be stored, ground and brewed, not to mention consumed. I expect these will be mainly pay-sites...

Each day I marvel at the brave new world of Internet commerce and its fuelling of appetites run wild.

How did we all manage before it? Oh! I forgot: we didn't but we didn't know that.

;-)

Rob C

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2013, 11:21:38 pm »

Peet's Arabian mocha Java, a good grinder and this stovetop brewer makes my day, every day.
~ CB

MrSmith

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2013, 08:05:51 am »

was at the london coffee festival on saturday as i sometimes shoot for a coffee magazine and am into good espresso coffee at home as well as when i'm out.
 like most things there is an acceptable level that people put up with because it's good enough or they just don't know quality because they have never seen/tasted/experienced it. but a well made coffee is something worth paying for (IMHO) and is not that expensive compared to the rubbish that starbucks sell or what nescafe screw from their nespresso customers.
artisan coffee is now a big business in the u.k with the number of micro-roasters and cafes growing rapidly with a 'new-world' attitude to their coffee more in line with america/NZ/australia than the stuffy old world of italy/central Europe.
none of the over-roasted oily burnt tasting coffee that you get round the Mediterranean.

i did find the cheering/whooping at the qualifiers for the barista world championships a bit OTT though, it's obviously a serious business and winning can increase their earning potential massively.

orchidblooms

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2013, 07:35:39 pm »

for the best home brew - in my opinion - get a stainless french press with a glass beaker from a rest. supply co... forget the cheepies at target etc.. nothing but grief

i use starbucks 'espresso' blend in a pinch

we have a real cma single group espresso machine at the 'shop'... (watch CL and ebay can be had for under 1000.00 in good working order)

we order out coffee and teas from mr espresso in oakland ca the 'special blend' is very good... something i found while dining at the FiAMMA at at the MGM in las vegas - they serve this as after dinner  coffee - they 'brew' it with brass strainers.... in brewing devices supplied by mr espresso...

i use a kitchenaid pro line grinder - the mazer minni is in the basement... on a shelf for years...
http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Line-Series-Coffee-Black/dp/B003AM7KIK

http://mrespresso.com/

phil

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2013, 09:39:25 pm »

A Melita filter cone sitting on top of your cup is cheap, easy to clean, and makes great coffee. Rinse the filter before use. But, for the best coffee you usually have to roast your own beans. After a trip to Central America last year I started doing this, and the difference is not subtle. Rule of thumb I learned is that roasted whole beans last 2 weeks before degrading and ground coffee lasts 2 hours.

angelasscott

« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2013, 03:53:29 am »

A single serve espresso pot seems to be just what you need. Look at this site to get some idea of what's available- http://www.dailycuppacoffee.com/espresso-pot-gift-pack-with-8oz-coffee. You may have never thought of buying a coffee pot online but I think buying online helps you get a better deal and choose from a wide selection.

cortlander

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:13:55 pm by cortlander »
cortlander

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2013, 07:56:37 pm »

This does everything (and I use it to make Coffee as well as expresso etc):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009314RQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You want a Super-Automatic. I've had this unit since 2006, still going strong. I know the French Press makes better, but if you want really good coffee after pressing a single button (which is configurable), this is for you.

Andrew got to this before I did, but yes, a Super-Automatic is what you're looking for.  They're anything BUT cheap, however.
http://www.superautomaticespressomachines.net/
http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/espresso-machines/superautomatics
http://www.espressoplanet.com/coffee-espresso/super-automatics-espresso-machines-coffee-makers/

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2013, 07:25:11 pm »

Wow even on the photography site U ask how to cock or boil water.

I think I was so good been away from cucu people..this getting bad...

how I can get free stuff? I hate anything free but look like if u want to survive U need all you can get.

I do not want go there BUt I think I will have to...Lord help me to just walk away and never die, to se others die for me!
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Rocco Penny

« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2013, 08:00:09 pm »

Wow even on the photography site U ask how to cock or boil water.

I think I was so good been away from cucu people..this getting bad...

how I can get free stuff? I hate anything free but look like if u want to survive U need all you can get.

I do not want go there BUt I think I will have to...Lord help me to just walk away and never die, to se others die for me!

I had to reread this a few times to be sure we're speaking the same language and this is no translator giving us some loose translation from obscure Romany or something.
I mean, what?  Are you saying something here?
  I'd like to know what.

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2013, 06:09:34 am »

Si no entendes quedate bruto sucio!
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Rocco Penny

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2013, 11:42:43 am »

I quit drinking coffee cold turkey a few months ago,
so I am not unclean as your post seems to suggest.
Now cucu is another thing entirely.
I am just cucu enough to see you have something to offer, but am so confused by your posts,
like how does the BVM figure into this?
Didn't you mention something about catolico doctrine somewhere?
I am curious as to what the heck you are saying, but am just lost,
like one of those sheep you've heard about...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2013, 12:40:55 pm »

If you want "American" coffee, the best bold flavor is from a percolator.  I like the older ones as they are Stainless and well made. I would look on ebay, and you can find one for rather cheap.
If you only want a single serve or two vs a pot, I would say go with the cone drip method using unbleached paper and adjust your grind.

If you need a timer, I did here decent results from a Zojirushi thermal carafe. I also had a HAmilton Beach model that had a feature called "Flavor control", this held the water longer to saturate, and I did get great results.  I would think Frech Press is also great, but you have to stir, and then wait and press, and sometimes by the time you drink it, it is a bit less hot.

There is a Cuisine Art with built in grinder.

I would not buy a machine that does all things OK, I rather have a very good Espresso machine and a very good coffee maker, and even better grinder for the job. But I understand where people have to compromise for space and convenience.... I rather not do this for coffee if I can help it.  In the past year. Having said all this, oddly, I have cut coffee almost entirely out. I now have a paper cone drip once a week or less. Much better on the steady hands :-)...AND as Rob says, the processes are just over rated for the reward...At least once you have reached that Coffee Nirvana at some point.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:02:25 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2018, 07:23:50 am »

One spoon of milk in a cup of coffee or tea won't kill you, but a more substantial intake of dairy products may.
I posted previously in several threads links about myths and dangers of dairy consumption, but now the proof is in. A friend of mine (in her sixties) who got inspired by Amy Lanou's book "Building Bone Vitality" just got back her lab results after a year of modified diet and almost unbelievably, her bone loss not only stopped, but actually the bone density has increased (exactly as the book author predicted). More importantly, abstinence from milk products will result in several other benefits and better health.

Here are her lab results:
2017 INTERVAL CHANGE: "Significant decrease in Bone density"
2018 INTERVAL CHANGE: "SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN BONE DENSITY!!"

A "T-score" of -1 or greater is normal; -1 to -2.5 is low bone density (osteopenia); -2.5 and below is osteoporosis

LUMBAR SPINE:
2018:
BMD= 1.004 g/cm2
T-score= -0.4
Interval change = 2.9%
2017:
BMD= 0.976 g/cm2
T-score= -0.6 
Interval change = -15%

FEMORAL NECK:
2018:
BMD= 0.668 g/cm2
T-score= -1.6 
2017:
BMD= 0.655 g/cm2
T-score= -1.7

TOTAL HIP:
2018:
BMD= 0.780 g/cm2
T-score= -1.3 
Interval change = 1.9%
2017:
BMD= 0.765 g/cm2
T-score= -1.4
Interval change = -20.6%

Here is the link for the book:
https://www.amazon.com/Building-Bone-Vitality-Revolutionary-Osteoporosis-Without-ebook/dp/B0026HPHXU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1528368539&sr=1-1&keywords=lanou+bones
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up