Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Denali National Park  (Read 1711 times)

AJMorris

• Nature's Light and Magic
Denali National Park
« on: April 07, 2013, 04:26:00 am »

Hey all! I was Wondering if anyone had any experience in Denali National Park. My wife and I are going to be spending about 8 days there in the beginning of June and i want to make the best of my time there and capture some great stuff if i can. Are there any places in particular I should not miss? We have campground reservations in the savage river compound for a couple days at a time. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the Earth are never alone or weary of life" - Rachel Carson
www.NaturesLightandMagic.com

Colorado David

Re: Denali National Park
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 04:49:24 am »

I have worked the moose rut there at the end of August.  I spent ten days.  Half of the time I camped near the entrance and cruised the road from the park entrance to the Savage River until I spotted a moose, would then park and work on foot.  The moose rut is exciting but can be a zoo of photographers.  Moved to a camp beyond the river for half of the time.  Once past the river you cannot drive.  Your camping permit will allow you to drive in once and out once although it doesn't give you a time frame to complete the drive.  Once camped, you must take the bus.  I bought a bus pass for the time I was camped beyond the river.  You catch the bus in the morning and ride until you see something you want to photograph and ask the driver to stop.  You work on foot until you want to ride again and catch the next bus going the way you want.  Don't get caught on foot when the last bus of the day is gone.  I had one regular bus driver who really liked to talk rough to photographers.  If you get her, just ignore it and go on about your business.  There's an area near the Savage River crossing where you can hike and approach Dall Sheep.  The thing about Alaska is the ground is soft and sucks at your boots unless you fall down.  In which case you'll hit a rock or a root knot.  If you reach out to grab something to steady yourself, it will have thorns. ;D

telyt

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:02:45 am »

A good though strenuous hike near the Savage River campground starts at the Savage River bridge (a mile or so west of the campground) and leads up to the top of Primrose Ridge (also called Mt. Margaret).  Dall Sheep may be found along the way or at the top:

On a large print you will notice on this sheep several black dots each with six legs.  Bring mosquito repellant!

I agree the bus pass is a good idea.  A few of my favorite areas for hikes are Igloo Canyon and Igloo Mountain, Stony Hill, Polychrome Pass and, near the park entrance, Mt. Healy and Horseshoe Lake:

There are very few trails so most hiking is cross-country.  Have a great and safe trip!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:47:54 pm by wildlightphoto »

Colorado David

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:07:11 am »

Here's one from my August trip.

AJMorris

• Nature's Light and Magic
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 03:13:53 pm »

Awesome Thanks for the information! I know what you mean about the ground being soft unless you fall and everything has thorns. I live in Kodiak, Alaska now and Its pretty much the same here. I've been wanting to get to Denali for a long time now so im looking forward to the trip. ill make sure i post some photos from the trip! thanks again all!
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the Earth are never alone or weary of life" - Rachel Carson
www.NaturesLightandMagic.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up