Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: OT. Ask Nikon to stop supporting Big Game Trophy Hunting.  (Read 16670 times)

FredBGG

OT. Ask Nikon to stop supporting Big Game Trophy Hunting.
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:23:40 am »

I saw this article in the Independant:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/the-wrong-kind-of-photo-shoot-nikon-in-the-line-of-fire-over-rifle-sights-for-big-game-hunting-8556123.html

The Japanese camera manufacturer makes a rifle scope designed specifically for killing large game, the £170 “Monarch African”.
Nikon’s marketing literature boasts that the scope is perfect “for those seeking their dangerous game adventure on the dark continent”
and is “the proven choice for dangerous big game hunting”, adding: “Africa has long been a continent of dreams for hunters around the world.”

First of all the term Dark Continent is plain offensive.

I was born in Africa and have seen the devastation caused by these rich "first world" tourist hunters, most of whom hide behind the guides they hire
and sometimes get killed.
These trophy hunters will pay $10,000 to go and kill an Elephant.
What is worse is that most of these hunts are what is known as "Canned Hunts" with bread animals
that are then setup in the wild to be shot by these so called hunters.

I'm posting this here because there are landscape photographers here that I know love Africa.
We also know that it takes more skill and courage
to take photographs of wildlife than shoot them with a high power rifle from a huge distance.

Also viewing Safaris have a far better impact on the local economy.
They are more involved with the local community doing far more good.

These people are a fine example:
http://www.safariprofessionals.com/pages/responsible-travel/impactonafrica.php

IF you tweet:
http://twitter.com/#!/@NikonUSA

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/nikon

Nikon makes great camera... They have a slogan I AM NIKON.
IF you don't like their support for Big Game Trophy Hunting,
Tell them they make great cameras, but that due to their support of Big Game Trophy Hunting you don't feel "I AM NIKON".

This is the Nikon we want:

Big Game Trophy Hunting is more like:

I AM DEAD

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:37:16 am by FredBGG »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: OT. Ask Nikon to stop supporting Big Game Trophy Hunting.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 12:34:59 am »

Hi Fred,

I share your views on the issue. At least in the sense that viewing is preferable to killing, and also that Africa is much more than a place to go and kill animals.

Today it is a different world than 100 years ago, or at least it should be another world.

Best regards
Erik

I saw this article in the Independant:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/the-wrong-kind-of-photo-shoot-nikon-in-the-line-of-fire-over-rifle-sights-for-big-game-hunting-8556123.html

First of all the term Dark Continent is plain offensive.

I was born in Africa and have seen the devastation caused by these rich "first world" tourist hunters, most of whom hide behind the guides they hire
and sometimes get killed.
These trophy hunters will pay $10,000 to go and kill an Elephant.

I'm posting this here because there are landscape photographers here that I know love Africa.
We also know that it takes more skill and courage
to take photographs of wildlife than shoot them with a high power rifle from a huge distance.

Also viewing Safaris have a far better impact on the local economy.
They are more involved with the local community doing far more good.

These people are a fine example:
http://www.safariprofessionals.com/pages/responsible-travel/impactonafrica.php

IF you tweet:
http://twitter.com/#!/@NikonUSA

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/nikon

Nikon makes great camera... They have a slogan I AM NIKON.
IF you don't like their support for Big Game Trophy Hunting,
Tell them they make great cameras, but that due to their support of Big Game Trophy Hunting you don't feel "I AM NIKON".

This is the Nikon we want:

Big Game Trophy Hunting is more like:

I AM DEAD

Erik Kaffehr

pixjohn

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 12:45:55 am »

You are asking a company that comes from a country that supports killing whales in the Antarctic. I feel the Japanese care less about animals, and more about killing wild animals.

FredBGG

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:50:14 am »

What's the best trophy?

An image like this:

National Geographic

Or this:
http://planetofthemonyets.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-skin-tiger.html Tiger being skinned.

FredBGG

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:54:45 am »

You are asking a company that comes from a country that supports killing whales in the Antarctic. I feel the Japanese care less about animals, and more about killing wild animals.

Actually the majority of Japanese do not support killing of Dolphins or Whales.

http://www.takepart.com/cove

Just a few months ago I was out kitesurfing and several Dolphins chose to play around me bumping my board deliberately several times.

Several Dolphin Safari Viewing businesses have been started in the area where the cove was made.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:02:40 am by FredBGG »

pixjohn

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:06:52 am »

That's funny because the government pays for a good part of the whale hunts, and more then a few Japanese support it. its also sad donation from the US to help victims from the tsunami where funneled to the whale hunt security.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 02:55:32 am »

Why is this posted in the medium format thread?

If OT, as it surely is, that's what the Coffee Corner is for. That's where you can get on the soap box, or high horse, and break the news to the rest of us that life is not fair or that the world is not just.

Or, perhaps, any reason is a good reason to insert Nikon, once again, into the medium format thread?

FredBGG

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 03:46:27 am »

If OT, as it surely is, that's what the Coffee Corner is for. That's where you can get on the soap box, or high horse, and break the news to the rest of us that life is not fair or that the world is not just.

Or, perhaps, any reason is a good reason to insert Nikon, once again, into the medium format thread?

Slobodan. No need for sarcasm. No second motives here. I would think this puts Nikon in negative light if anything.

I don't think I can move it. Only option I can find is to lock it.

Maybe the moderators can move it or remove it as they see fit. It's OK by me either way.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 04:29:42 am »

Nikon's marketing has never been the forte of the company... in this case it is pretty idiotic to have let that slip through in our age of ultra political correctness.

Most optics companies provide similar devices, the only difference is in the wording of their ads.

I also don't understand why this thread was started here.

Cheers,
Bernard

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 04:42:33 am »

Note to self: next time you go game hunting in Africa leave that Nikon rifle sight at home...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

MrSmith

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 04:58:08 am »

Pentax and Zeiss make riflescopes (the Zeiss are very good too)
Maybe those upset with Nikon should start lobbying them too?

Tony Jay

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 05:19:25 am »

Nikon's marketing has never been the forte of the company... in this case it is pretty idiotic to have let that slip through in our age of ultra political correctness...
Actually idiocy far outweighs the issue of political correctness.

Africa is not the Dark Continent there are probably more useful and productive things going on there than anywhere else in the world.
This is not an attempt to minimize the issues of the continent as a whole - I lived there for 30 years in South Africa that had much more than its share of problems, which are not resolved by any stretch of the imagination.
Wildlife photography is definately hunting with a camera, and historically ex big-game hunters have sometimes made very fine wildlife photographers, but the bigger philosophies behind hunting and photographing wildlife are just irreconcilable.
I shoot wildlife in the knowledge that many others, potentially, will have the pleasure of doing the same with the same animal.
In the context of Africa this is a much more sustainable and honest use of an extremely important resource.
Bluntly put, killing the animal as a trophy is selfish, no more and no less.
The amount of money changing hands does not alter this.

For Nikon they should be castigated for sheer stupidity and lunacy - ignorance should not be a defence here.
One billion residents of Africa, and countless animals, are owed an apology.

Tony Jay

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 06:24:16 am »

+1
This place starts to look like a private blog.

jwstl

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 01:28:44 pm »

"First of all the term Dark Continent is plain offensive."

Antiquated yes, but offensive: I suppose if you don't know the history of the term. It was originally coined in the 19th century bu a European to describe a place Europeans knew very little about. Later is was used because of a lack of electricity made the continent dark on satellite images. Contrary to popular belief, it has nothing to do with race.

As for Nikon, yes it would be nice if they re-think their hunting products and marketing but picking on one company when so may are to blame is ridiculous.

The article states: "South Africa earns around $100m a year by sanctioning the hunting (which it classes as “eco tourism”), leading to the deaths of approximately 54,000 animals."

Where's the outrage against South Africa? Stop Nikon from selling this scope and you save a few hundred animals. Stop this "eco-tourism" and stop many thousands.

alban

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 01:39:45 pm »

How dare you Sir!!!

FredBGG

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 01:51:28 pm »

"First of all the term Dark Continent is plain offensive."

Antiquated yes, but offensive: I suppose if you don't know the history of the term. It was originally coined in the 19th century bu a European to describe a place Europeans knew very little about. Later is was used because of a lack of electricity made the continent dark on satellite images. Contrary to popular belief, it has nothing to do with race.

As for Nikon, yes it would be nice if they re-think their hunting products and marketing but picking on one company when so may are to blame is ridiculous.

The article states: "South Africa earns around $100m a year by sanctioning the hunting (which it classes as “eco tourism”), leading to the deaths of approximately 54,000 animals."

Where's the outrage against South Africa? Stop Nikon from selling this scope and you save a few hundred animals. Stop this "eco-tourism" and stop many thousands.

I know the history of the term. I was born in South Africa. There are plenty of words and traditions that are today unacceptable.
As far as outrage with South Africa like all countries there are different lobbies each with their own agenda.
While it's claimed that South Africa earns $100m a year for permitting the hunting thanks to the organized lobbying
(lobbying that is also financed by the gun companies) there is a huge buisness of viewing Safaris.

Being born in South Africa and in light of my family having taken in wild life that was in need of help I have protested the government many times.
I grew up with wild life around me as well as on our furniture. My father helped people rehabilitate wild animals and one performed
a cesarean on a big cat that had been run over by a truck saving one of the cubs that was later released in the wild.
I can still remember the loud rattling sound of it's purring.... my parents said I would always laugh and giggle when the rattling purring started.

My interest in photography has it's roots in my father being an amature wild life photographer...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 01:56:11 pm »

... our age of ultra political correctness...

Unfortunately, you are right.

However, whenever tyranny rears its ugly head, it's time for freedom fighters to rise and defend the freedom of speech and expression.

I am getting tired of those UPC high-horse riders. They seem to be everywhere, offended by anything. No word or action seems safe from their righteous indignation. There is always someone, somewhere, offended by something.

As long as hunting is legal, there will be companies supplying the tools for it. And not only it is legal, it is a legitimate activity just as well, up to a point, of course. Leave it to countries and their governments to determine the scope of it. And let them pursue illegal hunting mercilessly.

For the record, I do not hunt. I actually despise hunting with rifle scopes as cowardly. But I respect that other people have a different opinion and the right to exercise it.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:01:59 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

DennisWilliams

Ask Nikon no such thing.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 02:10:07 pm »

There are at least two people bound to be  offended by something any given moment of any given day and thanks to social media  and the general desperation for content,  it'll be headline news no matter what the subject, or the validity of the offense.

PETA has become an opportunistic joke. Movie stars in fur coats and a corporation  on safari,  but funny I've not heard one word  of outrage aimed at the FDA of the U.S. for trapping, shooting  the adults and incinerating  alive  coyote pups in their dens.   No food, no clothing, no trophy- just pointless butchery followed by an out of control increase in the smaller animal / rodent population.  

I'll bet the anti Nikon group plays the soundtrack from the Lion King while they pontificate. I'd support using the Nikon scopes to hunt  poachers- there are people who would pay big bucks to legally hunt humans-  -and kill them - but no one wants to go that route. Pity. Animals thrive. Poachers die. Hunters get to kill something. Win win win.

jsiva

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 07:43:14 pm »

I grew up in Africa, I am Canadian, I don't like guns, and I don't like killing anything unless I am going to eat it.  But a bit of a reality check...

Hunting license for an elephant is in the 40-100K range, depending on tusk size, NOT 10K.  In most cases 50% goes to the local villages towards infrastructure programmes and the the remainder goes to the government.  This is about putting value on something -- harsh, but true.  Elephants are also culled in most sub-Saharan parks.  Since hunting licenses with direct benefits to local villages was initiated some time ago, poaching rates declined as there was interest in protecting the "resource".

Before we judge, walk a mile in that old shoe...

FredBGG

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 09:10:29 pm »

Unfortunately, you are right.

However, whenever tyranny rears its ugly head, it's time for freedom fighters to rise and defend the freedom of speech and expression.

I am getting tired of those UPC high-horse riders. They seem to be everywhere, offended by anything. No word or action seems safe from their righteous indignation. There is always someone, somewhere, offended by something.

As long as hunting is legal, there will be companies supplying the tools for it. And not only it is legal, it is a legitimate activity just as well, up to a point, of course. Leave it to countries and their governments to determine the scope of it. And let them pursue illegal hunting mercilessly.

For the record, I do not hunt. I actually despise hunting with rifle scopes as cowardly. But I respect that other people have a different opinion and the right to exercise it.

Slavery was legal and perfectly accepted by much of society.
The north was considered tyrannical for wanting the south to ban slavery.
Fighting dogs was legal.
Mixed race marriage was illegal.

Times change and progress is made.

Also I'm not advocating a boycott or anything against Nikon.
Just suggesting people tell them it's not cool if they don't
think it is.

I'm sure there are differences of opinion in Nikon itself.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up