Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mood  (Read 15339 times)

Rob C

Mood
« on: April 03, 2013, 05:10:12 pm »

Is it just me, the pressure/temperature change from spring to nascent summer causing brain-storms, much as might have been predicted from more thoughtful reading of Boyle's and Charles's Laws or do I really, really detect a subtle change for the more glum these days? On the one hand we see Cooter take his leave where I had imagined he would have shrugged and just carried on as usual; we have part of the MF people feel under threat at the suggestion of an 'open format' pro gallery; people suddenly find it vitally important that others only purchase what they themselves think of as acceptable cameras; there's this sense that not a lot new or interesting is really being thrown around...

Maybe, after all, it's just something I eat. But I still don't like the feeling.

Rob C
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:13:42 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

Re: Mood
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 05:56:02 pm »

Maybe, after all, it's just something I eat. But I still don't like the feeling.

Rob C

Aaah Rob,

It seems you are suffering the dyspepsia for which there is no analgesic.

Cheers,

W

Rocco Penny

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 06:11:17 pm »

The things I read ooooohhhhhhhhh
here's a sign post on the road to that inexorable hell
maybe just some warning to other fish- 'a barbarian lives here'
take it literally as I wouldn't eat one of those beasts for fear of polluting my soul...

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:12:28 pm »

Is it just me, the pressure/temperature change from spring to nascent summer causing brain-storms, much as might have been predicted from more thoughtful reading of Boyle's and Charles's Laws or do I really, really detect a subtle change for the more glum these days?

SNAFU...people come and go, the temperature goes up and down (in degrees and feistiness) and things even out over time. The only thing I would worry about is if the sun doesn't rise one day...then we are really screwed.

Pete_G

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 11:47:26 am »

The only thing I would worry about is if the sun doesn't rise one day...then we are really screwed.

Nah, not really Jeff...just get a bigger flash gun.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:25:55 pm »

Just when I thought it couldn't get more boring, I began to transfer my cassettes to mp3 so that I can play them in the car which, being 'modern', doesn't like 'old' technology and has no tape player.

After several evenings and most of today, I have managed to transfer 17 of them. I have a zillion still to do. Unfortunately, this could all have been done last year, when I bought the gadget, but for some misleading advice on the help forum on the Internet which was so wrong that it made transfers impossible. Only by ignoring the advice and doing the opposite to the recommendation was I finally able to make the damned thing work!

There's another moral buried there.

Rob C

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 01:49:31 pm »

Just when I thought it couldn't get more boring, I began to transfer my cassettes to mp3 so that I can play them in the car which, being 'modern', doesn't like 'old' technology and has no tape player.

After several evenings and most of today, I have managed to transfer 17 of them. I have a zillion still to do. Unfortunately, this could all have been done last year, when I bought the gadget, but for some misleading advice on the help forum on the Internet which was so wrong that it made transfers impossible. Only by ignoring the advice and doing the opposite to the recommendation was I finally able to make the damned thing work!

Rob C

Sure, when all advice fails regardless of it's source, go full steam ahead in one's own Direction.
Usually this is my preferred option. It's more fun.

Peter

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 04:15:28 pm »

Modern times

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 07:36:37 pm »

Thank you, David. That fits my mood just fine.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 04:04:20 am »

Thank you, David. That fits my mood just fine.

Worse, it helps create my mood!

I had one of those dreams last night: was on a bus with my wife, and for some reason we had no suitcase but just a bundle of clothing and personal belongings spread over a seat or two. The bus stopped, we both got off with arms full of this junk and put it down under a tree. She stayed there to guard it, and I returned to the bus to collect the rest. But the goddam bus had moved off and was fading into the distance. I remember wondering (in the dream) if our credit cards were or were not under that tree.

If it isn't buses it's always something else. And the irony is, I haven't been on a bus in decades. I think that now I know why.

Rob C

David Sutton

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 04:38:33 am »

Worse, it helps create my mood!

I had one of those dreams last night: was on a bus with my wife, and for some reason we had no suitcase but just a bundle of clothing and personal belongings spread over a seat or two. The bus stopped, we both got off with arms full of this junk and put it down under a tree. She stayed there to guard it, and I returned to the bus to collect the rest. But the goddam bus had moved off and was fading into the distance. I remember wondering (in the dream) if our credit cards were or were not under that tree.

If it isn't buses it's always something else. And the irony is, I haven't been on a bus in decades. I think that now I know why.

Rob C

Rob, I don't know about you but I sometimes find the transition from winter to spring unreasonably difficult. No other seasonal change affects me like this. I get really tired and that makes me grumpy (so what's new my friends say!). The only cure I have found is half an hour of heavy exercise daily. Walking uphill works. After a week I come good.
Jeff's right. Watch what you pay most attention to. Stuff that is not working, what we don't have, that's a path that has no end.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 09:55:54 am »

Rob, I don't know about you but I sometimes find the transition from winter to spring unreasonably difficult. No other seasonal change affects me like this. I get really tired and that makes me grumpy (so what's new my friends say!). The only cure I have found is half an hour of heavy exercise daily. Walking uphill works. After a week I come good.
Jeff's right. Watch what you pay most attention to. Stuff that is not working, what we don't have, that's a path that has no end.

You are so right, David. And to make things worse, this year spring seems to have gone missing. As a result, winter just drags on and on… my daughter went back to Scotland on Saturday having spent a week here with me, her hoped-for rest in the sunshine didn’t really happen. This morning, there’s snow up on the top of Puig Major, our highest mountain at 1445 metres.

I sometimes think about moving back to the UK for all manner of fiscal reasons, and then I consider living in that hellish climate again and financial sense recedes like my hair, right to the back of my mind. But, that’s balanced against the other evil of terminal boredom in a cultural desert. Frankly, I just don’t know which way to jump, whether I even have the energy left to jump. Last night I sat watching the tv and looking around the sitting-room at the hi-fi and pictures on the wall etc. and wondering what the hell I would do with all of it should I decide to move. It all seemed to become such a friggin’ weight around my shoulders. My best hope would be that someone with more money than sense would opt to buy the whole damned lot.

Hell, I now have to go and do some varnishing.

Rob C
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:41:16 pm by Rob C »

niznai

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 11:08:32 am »

Rob C

You're doing it the wrong way, dude. The way to do it is find an old walkman to play your tapes and plug that in your stereo.

Then again it might be the weather changing affecting you. Now I know why Kim Jong Un is so upset.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 12:37:54 pm »

You're doing it the wrong way, dude. The way to do it is find an old walkman to play your tapes and plug that in your stereo.

Then again it might be the weather changing affecting you. Now I know why Kim Jong Un is so upset.

Wot!? Carry even more bits of stuff around?

I'll settle for a tiny memory stick no longer than my pinkie.

;-)

Rob C

P.S. Interesting range of colour blotches... I promise this wasn't MFD.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:40:15 pm by Rob C »

David Sutton

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 01:02:13 am »

You are so right, David. And to make things worse, this year spring seems to have gone missing. As a result, winter just drags on and on… my daughter went back to Scotland on Saturday having spent a week here with me, her hoped-for rest in the sunshine didn’t really happen. This morning, there’s snow up on the top of Puig Major, our highest mountain at 1445 metres.

I sometimes think about moving back to the UK for all manner of fiscal reasons, and then I consider living in that hellish climate again and financial sense recedes like my hair, right to the back of my mind. But, that’s balanced against the other evil of terminal boredom in a cultural desert. Frankly, I just don’t know which way to jump, whether I even have the energy left to jump. Last night I sat watching the tv and looking around the sitting-room at the hi-fi and pictures on the wall etc. and wondering what the hell I would do with all of it should I decide to move. It all seemed to become such a friggin’ weight around my shoulders. My best hope would be that someone with more money than sense would opt to buy the whole damned lot.

Hell, I now have to go and do some varnishing.

Rob C

Hello again Rob.
You have that restlessness of a heart looking for its home. I recognise it well. It raises questions of where we really fit in, of where we feel we belong. This takes some courage.
For me, after my home was thrown four feet or more in the air at close to 2G, I find I'm now looking for answers to those questions. Having a house damaged past what is worth repairing, but the possibility of a reasonable insurance payout, I can either move three hours south to where I have a lot of friends and fit in well but will have no income and freeze in winter, or I can stay here where I teach in some of the country's best schools, but become progressively more isolated and progressively more surrounded by bogans (look it up).
All that stuff sitting in my house. I can't take that with me at the end of my time in this world. But the memories of friends and acquaintances means something ineffable to me. As for the stuff, I now have a policy of use it or sell it.
So I think I'm going where my butt will freeze. I don't know how I'll contribute to that community, or how I'll get an income, but something will turn up. This was not quite the plan when I established the garden here and buried my departed pets in it you understand, but I think Plan B will work out.
Good luck with your varnishing. I see you are only an "r" from vanishing.   :)
David

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 04:54:32 am »

Hello again Rob.
You have that restlessness of a heart looking for its home. I recognise it well. It raises questions of where we really fit in, of where we feel we belong. This takes some courage.
For me, after my home was thrown four feet or more in the air at close to 2G, I find I'm now looking for answers to those questions. Having a house damaged past what is worth repairing, but the possibility of a reasonable insurance payout, I can either move three hours south to where I have a lot of friends and fit in well but will have no income and freeze in winter, or I can stay here where I teach in some of the country's best schools, but become progressively more isolated and progressively more surrounded by bogans (look it up).
All that stuff sitting in my house. I can't take that with me at the end of my time in this world. But the memories of friends and acquaintances means something ineffable to me. As for the stuff, I now have a policy of use it or sell it.
So I think I'm going where my butt will freeze. I don't know how I'll contribute to that community, or how I'll get an income, but something will turn up. This was not quite the plan when I established the garden here and buried my departed pets in it you understand, but I think Plan B will work out.
Good luck with your varnishing. I see you are only an "r" from vanishing.   :)
David

David,

I don’t really like to wear my heart on my sleeve, but the reality of my personal sitiuation is this: when my wife was alive this island was Paradise, in that together, we had it all and required no outside stimulus. With her gone, so has everything else that mattered, and photography is the only thing left with which to fill or kill time.

I never was much of a landscape sort of guy, and though I quite enjoy looking at good examples of the genre, I simply don’t feel I have any real aptitude for doing it myself. It’s not about technique or gear, it’s about soul, and mine wanders in other spaces. Maybe that’s why I can’t see it as art. And since landscape is pretty much all I can find here, the only real alternative to going slowly nuts is to get the hell out. But, the place is surrounded with crisis-prompted property sales, and nothing moves. Also, I have two kids, and as I want to leave them something other than memories, I need a good price.

I hope you choose the right option for yourself. I know that warmth (climate) is very important and that long periods of winter and lack of sunlight are harmful to the mind, as this winter in Mallorca, but we can’t always find the perfect combination in life, and when we do, I realise it doesn’t last for ever. Maybe grabbing on to what is possible is the best we can do – the only thing we can do.

I wish you good fortune.

Rob C
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:40:02 am by Rob C »

David Sutton

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 05:41:26 am »

Maybe grabbing on to what is possible is the best we can do – the only thing we can do.
I wish you good fortune.
Rob C
There is the thing: with an insurance payout and a buoyant market I'm fortunate to have some choices over what is possible. I'd forgotten about the crisis.
On the other hand it could be years before the Earthquake Commission get around to signing off my place, so I guess we'll both get to practice our endurance skills. Well there are worse things than that!
Hang in there.  :)
Thank you for your thoughts.

niznai

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 08:59:00 am »

Rob, you need to move to Indonesia.

Leave all that crap behind and become a pilgrim, a nomad, a gypsy.

You'll be right at home without a house because over there they're redundant. The landscape might inspire you though. And if that doesn't do it, the people are going to keep you interested.

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 10:23:10 am »

Rob, you need to move to Indonesia.

Leave all that crap behind and become a pilgrim, a nomad, a gypsy.You'll be right at home without a house because over there they're redundant. The landscape might inspire you though. And if that doesn't do it, the people are going to keep you interested.

I love the idea, but only in comfort. I also require five medicinal items per day (prescribed ones) and those don't come inexpensively, so a National Health Service to which I can belong is vital.

I once had to spend time in Kenya, whicn turned into my worst nightmare. Arachnophobia is one of my top alerts, keeping me on my toes. The washing facilities were a stuck-on secondary tent with an old pallet covering a hole, a bucket suspended above to form a shower. I would place a heavy bet that after the first couple of visitors, years before me, nobody used the washing facility - or cleaned it. The pallet was covered in webs. Stand on thoat, anywhere near that? As bad if not worse, was the sight of another hand-like thing running into the pocket on the side of the tent beside the bed. We never did get the bastard out, and I doubt if I slept five minutes. I hated the entire experience there. I swore I would never go anywhere near that benighted land again. The far east is no better; I've been and seen.

Rob C

David Sutton

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 05:39:48 pm »

Hello Rob.
Having slept on this I've been prompted by a dream to write again. Like you there are some things I don't feel comfortable about writing on the web, but I've taken heart from your example and will give it a go.
As a younger man I was profoundly influenced by the work of the psychiatrist Viktor Frankl. He developed his ideas in a place I wouldn't wish on anyone. Basically he reminded us that though human beings can find themselves in circumstances beyond their control, they still have the fundamental power to choose their attitude to this, and furthermore they can withstand more than they realise if they can find meaning in their predicament. I believe that is one reason my images often feature tiny figures in vast landscapes. But here's the rub: if you remove the figure the composition collapses. I also like Frankl's work because he used laughter to vaporise phobias.
May I humbly suggest that if you were on his couch he would ask you how you would feel if you had gone first and left your wife to struggle alone? Would that not be a terrible thing? By staying here you have saved her that. You can take pride in your ability to endure and have something to pass to your children, and you can take pride in your contribution to this forum.
David
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up