Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink loading patterns for different media settings epson 3880  (Read 1432 times)

IWC Doppel

Ink loading patterns for different media settings epson 3880
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:29:16 pm »

Is there any information that compares media types for an epson 3880 in respect of ink strategies, I am particularly interested about how they compare with ink densities etc. The reason I ask is I have found some similar papers specify slightly different media types and I am curious what the differences are and if I might try different media types in a more knowing way when experimenting with ABW driver settings for matt papers

irvweiner

Re: Ink loading patterns for different media settings epson 3880
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 01:25:28 am »

Yes, I came across a note or post (Epson?) that listed the ink densities laid down for various media. Check with Epson customer service or do a search here and other sites (dpreview).

I do recall that Glossy--Luster--Semi Glossy were 1-2-3 for paper.

irv weiner

IWC Doppel

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 02:22:24 am »

Thanks, I had called Epson and they werent able to help !  I think speaking to someone that technical is beyond customer support, I'll have a look at dpReveiw

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 03:20:00 am »

For the HP wide formats Z6100, Z3200, Z3100 etc  there are several PDFs that describe the ink amount used, which black and grey inks and more info per media preset.
Google:
Z2100&Z3100_Working_with_other_commercially-available_paper.pdf
Z6100_working_with_non_hp_papers.pdf

I do not recall similar Epson or Canon information.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2012, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 08:04:18 am »

I was never able to find any information from Epson on this topic and you can do the research yourself with a good print target.  Scott Martin, who regularly posts on this site, has such a target HERE.  You need to start with the paper manufacturer's recommendation and move on from there (in general these recommendations are pretty much spot on but focus more on color printing than on using the Epson ABW driver).  For ABW printing the best approach is to use Roy Harrington's QTR system (but this only works with Win7 OS as you cannot use the generated profiles with Apple OS print path) and experiment with the ABW print settings (darker, dark, neutral, etc).  If you have a spectrophotometer you can gather Dmax and B/W curves and evaluate what works best from that technical point of view and then test out the setting on a good print (Keith Cooper has a good B/W test print HERE)

Hope this helps.

Alan

irvweiner

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:26:24 pm »

OK, Dano has been a contributor to this site many times. I suggest you contact him.

The info I referred to earlier was not quantitative, just relative list ink densities.

Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Marketing Manager
Epson America, Inc.

irv weiner
Pages: [1]   Go Up