Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer profiles in OSX 10.8  (Read 7279 times)

woof75

Printer profiles in OSX 10.8
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:32:49 am »

I'm running OSX 10.8 and I can't figure out where to put printer profiles. It was easy in 10.7 but I just can't figure it out in 10.8. Can you tell me? Thanks.

howardm

Re: Printer profiles in OSX 10.8
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:59:48 am »

Same place as it's always been (/Library/ColorSync/Profiles) although now Apple has hidden /Library which forces you to hold down the alt/option key while in the Go Finder pulldown or manually move it.  You could also put it in the same relative location in your /Users/userid/Library/.... location

woof75

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:16:55 am »

No, there not there. I checked both places. I put the new profile in both those places, restarted photoshop and the computer and they aren't there. Also in that location on 10.7 I used to see the Epson profiles that came with the printer and they aren't there either..

woof75

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 12:48:29 pm »

So I just looked and the profile shows up in soft proof but not in the Epson utility. Ideas?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 01:20:55 pm »

...but not in the Epson utility.

What "Epson utility"?

BTW, Epson profiles for the more recent drivers are actually bundled into the print driver and are not installed in the ColorSync folder. If you want to find them go to root Library/Printers/Epson/InkjetPrinter/ICCProfiles. Then you need to right click on the bundle and choose Show Package Contents.

woof75

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 04:47:59 am »

What "Epson utility"?

BTW, Epson profiles for the more recent drivers are actually bundled into the print driver and are not installed in the ColorSync folder. If you want to find them go to root Library/Printers/Epson/InkjetPrinter/ICCProfiles. Then you need to right click on the bundle and choose Show Package Contents.

Hi Jeff,
Sorry, I didn't mean the Epson utility, I meant when you press print in photoshop and the photoshop print settings come up, as ever I click photoshop manages color and try and select the profile but the only profiles there are the Epson profiles and a few others. Not the one I'm trying to use. (It's for a Hahnemhule paper). Should I be using colour sync or something?

howardm

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:18:59 am »

Put the profiles where I indicated in a previous post, restart PS and they should then show up in the printing dialog.

woof75

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 07:23:51 am »

Put the profiles where I indicated in a previous post, restart PS and they should then show up in the printing dialog.

Hi, I have done, (I've attached the screen grab showing where the profile is and it's path and also the printing screen) and it's still not there. Ideas?

francois

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 07:44:09 am »

Hi, I have done, (I've attached the screen grab showing where the profile is and it's path and also the printing screen) and it's still not there. Ideas?

I have my profiles in the exact same location shown in your screenshot and Photoshop CS 6 finds them without any problem. Have you tried to repair permissions (using Disk Utility)?

ColorSync Utility can display installed profiles and verify them… I don't know how effective ColorSync Utility is but you might try that also.
Francois

woof75

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 07:54:39 am »

I have my profiles in the exact same location shown in your screenshot and Photoshop CS 6 finds them without any problem. Have you tried to repair permissions (using Disk Utility)?

ColorSync Utility can display installed profiles and verify them… I don't know how effective ColorSync Utility is but you might try that also.

I've done all that and it's still not showing, are you all using OSX 10.8?

francois

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 08:50:02 am »

I've done all that and it's still not showing, are you all using OSX 10.8?

Yes, I'm on 10.8.3.

Have you tried to open the Console and then see whether Photoshop displays errors or messages when you try to print (I would launch Console before launching Photoshop)?

Also, what happens when you try to print from another user account?
Francois

woof75

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 08:55:31 am »

Console says this when I print:
03/04/2013 13:54:15.641 PrinterProxy[433]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

francois

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 09:05:09 am »

Console says this when I print:
03/04/2013 13:54:15.641 PrinterProxy[433]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

Well, nothing useful for profiles, unfortunately!

I guess you already read this discussion: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=73562.0
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:12:45 am by francois »
Francois

woof75

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 09:37:39 am »

Well, nothing useful for profiles, unfortunately!

I guess you already read this discussion: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=73562.0

Yes, no help though. I have no idea, the joy of new operating system. I was quite happy with OSX 10.7 and photoshop 5.5.

francois

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 10:38:19 am »

Yes, no help though. I have no idea, the joy of new operating system. I was quite happy with OSX 10.7 and photoshop 5.5.

Do you have Adobe Lightroom on your system? It would be interesting to see whether those missing profiles are displayed in LR.
I would also try to delete Photoshop preferences…

You seem stuck in a deep rut!
Francois

woof75

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 10:47:59 am »

I don't have lightroom but the profile does show up in soft proof.. ???

francois

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 11:02:19 am »

I don't have lightroom but the profile does show up in soft proof.. ???

Then, try to move Photoshop prefs file on the desktop… Who knows, it might work and there's not much to loose!
Francois

woof75

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 11:21:15 am »

Then, try to move Photoshop prefs file on the desktop… Who knows, it might work and there's not much to loose!
Didn't work. I can see the profile in colorsync in the epson part of the print dialog. Could I use color sync?

francois

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 11:59:20 am »

Didn't work. I can see the profile in colorsync in the epson part of the print dialog. Could I use color sync?

I don't have my photo computer here but here's a screen copy of the Mac I have with me…

Francois

woof75

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 05:19:51 am »

Sorted it. SO here's the stupidist work around ever. What I did was find where the epson profiles were kept and copy one of the epson profile names that I don't use, replaced the name of the Hahnemuhle with the name of the epson profile. Dragged the renamed Hahnemuhle profile into the folder where the epson profiles were, told it to replace the profile who's name I'd copied and hey presto in the list of profiles when I went to print there it was and it's showing up as the Hahnemuhle profile, not the name of the epson profile I'd replaced. Bizarre. If I just dragged the Hahnemuhle profile in that folder with the filename as it's original Hahnemuhle.icc then it wouldn't show up ??? ???
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up