Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MF film and Digital Back Forum  (Read 8453 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: MF film and Digital Back Forum
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 08:36:23 am »

Yes, but at which expense? 

Knowledgeable MFD users hardly post anymore because they don't want to get caught up in the D800 evangelism of Fred and a few others.

Respected members like bcooter seem to have left the forum.  While diverse opinions are good fundamentalism is not.

I quite frankly don't udnerstand these people.  What are they trying to achieve?  They have taken all the fun out of the forum.
I agree, I only hope this blows over, the crazies leave soon and the real pros come back. 

I really cant stand reading post from someone who does not truly understand the system. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

fredjeang2

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 08:41:23 am »

That's exactly what I think. No fun anymore and like you,
I don't understand what they trying to acheive.

Criticisms are always good, this Forum would loose a lot
If it was bunkered, Imo the story is  not to transform it
Into a cultism either. But the tone and frecuency have
Become a never ending nonsense.

If some really want to campaign the magical Nikon
Over and over again, why don't they create threads
In other sections? Why in mf Forum ? Probably
Because there are personal involvements here.

I see a recurrent desperation to proove something at any
Price. Even if the dudes are right, or more exactly if it's
Right for them, it's gona be wrong for others.

I think that there is much more involved behind the scene
Than just gear attacks.

Ps: Cooter left ? Are you kidding me ?

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 09:50:56 am »

Yes I have an 8 x 10.  Yes I have a 35mm.  Yes I have a Go Pro. But this is what I F@#KING enjoy about my MFD. Currently a P40+ soon to be IQ260.

I can have a blast and shoot some action.

No hyper sync.  Just a good old fashion leaf shutter lens.

Turn around and shoot some "Beauty"

Pack my camera, pack my clothes and a shower cap.  Catch a flight to someplace dusty and wet.  (With a touch of social upheaval)

And by going to this MFD forum I learn and appreciate what the noted architectural, fashion and landscape photos who actually shoot do with their gear....

Enda Cavanagh, BCooter, Libby, KD, Torger, Joe Kitchen, CB, theguywitha645d, Guy Mancuso,Gerald D, Keith Laban, Paul Ozzello and many more who actually do more than photograph their mailboxes....

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Jeffery

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:52:18 am by Jeffery Salter »
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 09:56:49 am »

Do a search through the "recent images" topics (either pro or non-pro). There are hardly any (if at all) images posted there that were taken with a deeeighthundred or deeeighthundrede.

Can't think of any real explanation and TBH I don't care much. It seems as if the only images we see from the camera are ugly/ random/ repeated/ boring/ meaningless test shots posted all over the MF forums mostly by professional trolls or pseudo technical experts.

Those who actually USE the camera appreciate it for what it is and do not try to shove it down the throat of everyone else, most likely because they have the basic respect for other people's opinions and respect for the forum's community. They don't feel obliged to prove anything and would rather spend their time (and their investment) on taking pictures

Those of us who have been here long enough, we're just going to sit this one out and patiently wait for the baddies to go away...they always do. In the meantime perhaps we can all write to the moderators and suggest that they bring back the "Ignore" button...

Great stuff Jeffery!

Yair

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 10:08:07 am »

Yes I have an 8 x 10.  Yes I have a 35mm.  Yes I have a Go Pro. But this what I F@#KING enjoy about my MFD. Currently a P40+ soon to be IQ260.

I can have a blast and shoot some action.

No hyper sync.  Just a good old fashion leaf shutter lens.

Turn around and shoot some "Beauty"

Pack my camera, pack my clothes and a shower cap.  Catch a flight to someplace dusty and wet.  (With a touch of social upheaval)

And by going to this MFD forum I learn and appreciate what the noted architectural, fashion and landscape photos who actually shoot do with there gear....

Enda Cavanagh, James Cooter, Libby, KD, Torger, Joe Kitchen, CB, theguywitha645d, Guy Mancuso, Keith Laban, Paul Ozzello and many more who actually do more than photograph their mailboxes....

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Jeffery

Nice shots Jeffery. Pretty soon no more crop sensor. You'll love it.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

theguywitha645d

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 10:45:07 am »

This is always the irony of the gear talk. Sure, I can make photographs with other cameras. But I don't enjoy it as much. Somehow that joy-deficiency does impact the results and the motivation. Can someone else recognizes what camera I used? Probably not, and if they do, they really need to get out more. But I see the difference, and an image has to get by me first.

I think GetDPI has made a great forum, you see images posted every day. Most of the questions are directly related to problems with gear. Yes, occasionally you get the MFD is dead threads. But you also get more threads on advice and help.

There are not a lot of places where you can find MFD photographers. LuLa is one, maybe the only other one. But is seems the folks at LuLa are still arguing if MFD is good enough. All the technical arguments just ignore that photography is subjective, just like any art. One data point does not define an image. Photography is more than optimizing MTF. And work is not viewed by an audience on a monitor at 100%, except on photography fora.

NOTE: I am starting to feel sorry for Fred. He has dug such a large hole that any comment he makes is taken so negatively, but not all his comments are negative.

fredjeang2

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 10:56:31 am »

As I'm not involved anymore into the still imagery, and even when I was I used MF only during a very short time because we were shooting only Canons at the studio, wich doesn't give me any credit to actively
participate in a MF forum and should indeed stay gently in the motion forum of this site (and that's what I'll do from now) wich is were my world is.

However, as a reader, this MF forum has always be a great source of inspiration, good imagery that I enjoy to watch, relevant profesional knowledge, and even if I'm not involved into stills anymore, I could find lots of usefull posts worth the Reading for anybody interested in imagery and a general atmosphere of respect.

The wars between systems are not new at all. How many of those threads MR closed in the past when things were going too far and started to be meaningless, you remember? Graphics, bombings of pseudo-scientific stuff, attempts to demozided MF or trying to convince MF users to join the good side of the dslrs force have been on air forever.

However, the tones were very differents, sometimes even ridiculously funy. And all the wars of the past never provoqued such a heartily sick that many of the MF users are experiencing now, and readers like me too. It's because it's everywere now. Not just in special war threads like before but it smells from all pores in all the MF forum.

Now, each time someone posts something here, I'm waiting when will show-up something related with the f.....g bloody Nikon peice of s...t or some sort of dslr magicality to bomb the MF gear and demostrate how crap it is and how corrupted are the vendors etc etc... and a general suspicious on MF...That's just sick.

And now, hoppe I'm wrong, but it seems that Cooter was so fed-up of all this BS and left. Very nice! If people like Coot start to leave this forum, something's very wrong somewhere.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:02:06 am by fredjeang2 »

Guy Mancuso

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 11:00:41 am »

Thanks Photography gear is and ALWAYS will be about what you need , what your comfortable with and what gets the job done to your enjoyment or to fulfill a client needs. It has no name tag. Somedays I wish like you can with a car take the names off the back end, I wish we could do that and just remove the name. Be nice if people could actually think like that , but than the world would be a better place so forget that idea. I have a lot of spirit for photography and pushing good data out to give back what I learned along the way but I'm not going to waste the little precious time i have arguing this shit with trolls. I dont feel sorry for anyone you dig your own grave here on the internet and i have been around a long time on them and you learn a few things but people forget them as in life. Respect, Integrity, Honesty and living up to the reputation of being a good person. Unfortunately people lose there way and put there ego in front of the good values. Until than catch you all later I'm with BC enough is enough.

Guy Mancuso

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 11:03:11 am »

As I'm not involved anymore into the still imagery, and even when I was I used MF only during a very short time because we were shooting only Canons at the studio, wich doesn't give me any credit to actively
participate in a MF forum and should indeed stay gently in the motion forum of this site (and that's what I'll do from now) wich is were my world is.

However, as a reader, this MF forum has always be a great source of inspiration, good imagery that I enjoy to watch, relevant profesional knowledge, and even if I'm not involved into stills anymore, I could find lots of usefull posts worth the Reading for anybody interested in imagery and a general atmosphere of respect.

The wars between systems are not new at all. How many of those threads MR closed in the past when things were going too far and started to be meaningless, you remember? Graphics, bombings of pseudo-scientific stuff, attempts to demozided MF or trying to convince MF users to join the good side of the dslrs force have been on air forever.

However, the tones were very differents, sometimes even ridiculously funy. And all the wars of the past never provoqued such a heartily sick that many of the MF users are experiencing now, and readers like me too. It's because it's everywere now. Not just in special war threads like before but it smells from all pores in all the MF forum.

Now, each time someone posts something here, I'm waiting when will show-up something related with the f.....g bloody Nikon peice of s...t or some sort of dslr magicality to bomb the MF gear and demostrate how crap it is and how corrupted are the vendors etc etc... That's just sick.

And now, hoppe I'm wrong, but it seems that Cooter was so fed-up of all this BS and left. Very nice! If people like Coot start to leave this forum, something's very wrong somewhere.

You don't have to be a user of MF to enjoy reading and participating in a format that you have interest in. You need no excuses to be here. Have fun

fredjeang2

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 11:03:28 am »

Thanks Photography gear is and ALWAYS will be about what you need , what your comfortable with and what gets the job done to your enjoyment or to fulfill a client needs. It has no name tag. Somedays I wish like you can with a car take the names off the back end, I wish we could do that and just remove the name. Be nice if people could actually think like that , but than the world would be a better place so forget that idea. I have a lot of spirit for photography and pushing good data out to give back what I learned along the way but I'm not going to waste the little precious time i have arguing this shit with trolls. I dont feel sorry for anyone you dig your own grave here on the internet and i have been around a long time on them and you learn a few things but people forget them as in life. Respect, Integrity, Honesty and living up to the reputation of being a good person. Unfortunately people lose there way and put there ego in front of the good values. Until than catch you all later I'm with BC enough is enough.

Couldn't agree more. Enough is enough.

amsp

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 11:36:57 am »

I'm in agreement with this thread, this has gone on too long and too far, to the point where it's just ruined the spirit of the forum. I'm starting to think Fred has some sort of OCD, because frankly it's not normal spending this much time on a MEDIUM FORMAT DIGITAL forum bashing that very same thing in pretty much every thread. I've lost count of how many times I've seen the very same tired arguments, same pictures, and same "tests", even in threads where the OP specifically said he's interested in knowing about MFD, not Canikon D800Ds.

There's a fine line between playing the devil's advocate and just plain trolling. The repetitive, relentless nature of Fred's posts and his complete lack of respect and understanding of other people's needs/opinions just comes off as mentally unstable to me.

Seriously Fred, give it a rest already. Go live that amazing life of yours that you keep telling us about instead, I'm sure your wife & kids would appreciate it.

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 12:03:41 pm »

A discussion forum where everybody thinks the same and there is no criticism is not healthy. While I do like getdpi, I appreciate lula for allowing more diverse opinions.

As JV said too, diversity is good. This forum as a whole has an excellent mix of diversity, but when one or two personal agendas are constantly belabored in a negative way in a section of the forum devoted to MFD, well, that's not good and that's not constructive criticism. It does seem that the participation of some who had much to offer has waned - that's not good.

What would be beneficial is for those who don't appreciate what most of us see in our choices of MFD format is to at least respect that, like it or not, this section - this one section of the forum - is devoted to those who use, like and want to learn more from others who use, like and want to share about MFD.

Ed
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

Jeffery Salter

• Jeffery Salter
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 12:23:46 pm »

who use, like and want to learn more from others who use, like and want to share about MFD.

+1 Well said Ed!

Thank you Yaya.

Thanks Guy.  I definitely have a bunch of MF questions for you.  My wife is trying to drag me to Colo.NewMex.Ariz.  but right now I'm happy with the "No Landscapes" just gold diggers scene of Miami.

any comment he makes is taken so negatively, but not all his comments are negative

When a topic poster is asking a specific question about MFD, why tell him/her about recomposing and depth of field fall off?  And multiple focus points? If you have ever  held a MFD and looked through the viewfinder you can see that.  I learned how to zone focus or recompose and focus a speed graphic in my High School photography class. No biggie.

Why not start a new topic like "top ten reasons to buy a konica" on a another section of the forum.  Then while sneaking a break during an  assignments, if I wonder about say" If a Konica has more DR than my MFD"  I can simply click on that topic.  No need to interrupt the natural flow of topic.  Just start your own "topic" on whatever floats your boat.

Recently some freaking fantastic "established" (with websites to back their words)  architectural photogs were duking it out about using Natural light or strobes or European style vs Australian vs US approaches to light.  Now that was pure fun and deep.  I learned so much. Great reading. Even microwaved some popcorn to enjoy while reading.   I could imagine Chris Barrett and Iwan Baan sitting in cafe arm wrestling.  Wonderful insights from the global community of architectural photogs who gave their valuable time to share on the forum.

But then....a photog who frequently posts about his hollywood and celebrity photography started chirp in.....And for the life of me I couldn't see how his opinion was relevant or apropos...  Yes visitors are free to post to this open forum.  But like the saying goes...Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Regards,
Jeffery
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:26:05 pm by Jeffery Salter »
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 01:01:08 pm »

There's a fine line between playing the devil's advocate and just plain trolling. The repetitive, relentless nature of Fred's posts and his complete lack of respect and understanding of other people's needs/opinions just comes off as mentally unstable to me.

But you are thinking Fred's comments are worth replying to. True, it is really annoying that he can only see his point of view, but, really, it is not worth getting that bothered by. I am actually getting tired of every thread becoming about Fred. It is like MFD is all about the D800 and Fred.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 01:15:22 pm »

I am actually getting tired of every thread becoming about Fred. It is like MFD is all about the D800 and Fred.

Which in many ways actually what's intended

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 01:17:35 pm »

And by going to this MFD forum I learn and appreciate what the noted architectural, fashion and landscape photos who actually shoot do with their gear....

Enda Cavanagh, BCooter, Libby, KD, Torger, Joe Kitchen, CB, theguywitha645d, Guy Mancuso,Gerald D, Keith Laban, Paul Ozzello and many more who actually do more than photograph their mailboxes....

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Jeffery

Thanks for the props Jeffery  ;)

Some new images from a recent trip to NYC

Paul

Chris Livsey

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 01:31:24 pm »

Thom Hogan has been running a "best Nikon" poll on his site perhaps a pertinent comment came in the last posting, where the D800 was disqualified BTW ,

"D800 owners perceive it as the top dog. Owners of something other than a D800 don't"

http://www.bythom.com/madness.htm

BTW perhaps a limit on re-posting the same image might help?

Jeffery Salter

• Jeffery Salter
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 01:32:06 pm »

Some new images from a recent trip to NYC

You are welcome Paul.  I enjoy your work as well.  And my question to you would be when you shoot MFD B&W,  do you use a digital zone system? How often do you print your B&Ws?  I ask because you have a very strong sense of monochrome and your images are very nice.

regards,
Jeffery
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 03:21:18 pm »

I'm not trying to step on the moderators toes or deny anyone an open forum.

Actually, yes you are. You are trying to dictate the form and function of the subforum (this one) to your own desires...fact is, even if a new forum was created, it would still behave like this one unless: somebody banned certain members from posting (ain't gonna happen) or had the moderators (read Mike & Chris) heavily moderate the subforum (ain't gonna happen).

If you aren't happy with the way LuLa is run, ask for your money back–oh, wait, you didn't pay anything to come here...

Let's see, you've been a registered user here for about 6 months and have 42 posts? Sorry, I'm not sure you really have the seniority to be so critical. Read, don't read...post, don't post–that's all you can personally control here on LuLa. (unless you have certain friends North of the border)

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 03:22:24 pm »

You are welcome Paul.  I enjoy your work as well.  And my question to you would be when you shoot MFD B&W,  do you use a digital zone system? How often do you print your B&Ws?  I ask because you have a very strong sense of monochrome and your images are very nice.

regards,
Jeffery

Hi Jeffery,

I'm glad you like my work and appreciate the positive feedback :) I'm a bit of a dinosaur and still shoot film (gulp)... I tried the zone system and loading several backs for different development times but I prefer keeping it simple and use an incident light meter (and bracket for tricky lighting). I have years of darkroom experience but currently scan my negs with an old Epson flatbed and print with a Canon Pro 9000 (the first version) in grayscale mode and the combination is surprisingly good for  prints up to A3+ (and it's also quite affordable). I'm trying to change careers to work full time as a photographer making fine art prints and am preparing a series of 40" images of my work. The equipment needed for those large prints is above my means so I'm working with a custom printer in San Francisco (Eiger Studios - I plug Lenny Eiger whenever I can because his drum scans are outstanding, and he's a really nice guy). Unfortunately I haven't gone very far with the prints yet because I spend a lot of my time taking care of my dying father... Lenny uses a Roland printer with a custom inkset based on the ones from Piezography and the results are spectacular.

I'm not sure what you mean by the digital zone system ? When I shoot digital I usually ETTR...

Paul
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up