Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On the Middelrus Road  (Read 2116 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
On the Middelrus Road
« on: March 31, 2013, 03:33:42 pm »

Once again, I would like to know what you think of this photograph.

Thanks
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Tony Jay

Re: On the Middelrus Road
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 06:28:08 pm »

That acacia has certainly seen a lot of summers - it is probably older than the country itself!

Arguably, one could have done a tighter composition to really make that tree the star, with the surrounding landscape as the backdrop.

I do enjoy your images William as I don't get back to South Africa as often as I would like and they do bring back memories.

Tony Jay

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:04:55 pm »

I wondered at first about a possible tighter cropping, but I think I prefer it just the way it is. The tree appears to be gazing out at the territory to the left as if to say, "This is my kingdom!" It's a very regal tree. I like the shot a lot.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:11:51 am »

I wondered at first about a possible tighter cropping, but I think I prefer it just the way it is. The tree appears to be gazing out at the territory to the left as if to say, "This is my kingdom!" It's a very regal tree. I like the shot a lot.

Yes, I like to wider crop. The tree is magnificent.
Francois

William Walker

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 05:39:32 am »

Thanks Tony, Eric & Francois!

I appreciate your comments.

Regards
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Harald L

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:03:35 am »

A great picture and a dignified tree which really governs its realm. I wonder if there is a trick to set the tree a tad apart from the background. Perhaps some desaturated color?
Glad to be an amateur

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 03:36:57 pm »

It's a great tree, William, but did you shoot it with film? I see density variations in the sky that look like over-agitation in the developer.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

nemo295

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 04:34:43 pm »

It's a great tree, William, but did you shoot it with film? I see density variations in the sky that look like over-agitation in the developer.

+1

The steep tonal gradient in the sky is a bit odd.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 04:38:57 pm »

I really like the tree and the scene, but as it is the tree blends almost too well into the background.  I might be tempted to VERY slightly lighten the tree to draw it out from the scene, but great prudence would be required.  Might be worth a try.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

William Walker

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 12:19:22 am »

Hi Russ,

No, not film. The only thing I can think of is perhaps being a little heavy-handed on the "blue slider" in Lightroom...in fact I backed off that slider a tad already!

Same with lightening the tree, Mike, I already took that as far as I felt safe with.

The sun on the hills at the back, on reflection, seem a little over-exposed. What about darkening those?

Thanks to all again,
William
Pages: [1]   Go Up