Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Nik plug-ins for Lightroom.  (Read 20212 times)

Glenn NK

Re: Nik plug-ins for Lightroom.
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 02:23:10 pm »

IMO, you are.

Don Bryant

This from my previous post:

What I'm really puzzled by is why Google purchased NIK in the first place.  Was it a misguided blunder by Google?   Is Google actually going to be able to use NIK?  Will they be interested/able to take NIK to the next step?

Surely the purchase of NIK by Google was not a philanthropic move.  Does anyone have some better insights into the whole affair?

I'm still trying to figure out their (Google's) motive - any suggestions?

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

donbga

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 02:33:24 pm »

This from my previous post:

What I'm really puzzled by is why Google purchased NIK in the first place.  Was it a misguided blunder by Google?   Is Google actually going to be able to use NIK?  Will they be interested/able to take NIK to the next step?

Surely the purchase of NIK by Google was not a philanthropic move.  Does anyone have some better insights into the whole affair?

I'm still trying to figure out their (Google's) motive - any suggestions?

Glenn

Because they are competeing against Apple and Microsoft. As you know they now produce hardware (or sell hardware made for them) and they need to bouy these hardware products with cloud based software which includes image editing tools. Viola! That's why they purchased Nik. Why try to make a good tool when one can be purchased. I think their purchase makes great sense and Nik will be the better for it.

Come on folks, quit being so cynical!

Don Bryant

rasterdogs

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 04:51:42 pm »

I used PS for ~8 years.
Once I started using LR I found I was using PS less and less. As LR as evolved I find I can do 90% of what I want with it.
I'm probably not as sophisticated as some here.  ;)

I've found the Nik plug-ins to be a reasonable addition to LR with the $149 price and an additional 15% discount.

I'm happy with the control points in Viveza and find I'm using Silver FX for most of my BW.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 05:48:28 pm »

They bought it for Snapseed, not for the Nik Collection, I'm sure. 

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 03:10:14 am »

Hello,

and this is also my personal opinion :

They bought the whole package for one little detail and now they are trying to get as much mmoney as possible from the parts of the cake they aren't really interested in.

I cannot imagine that there will be huge improvements in future. You you take the suite as it is, if it fits your needs, useit, and if not, don't expect for changes.

But, this is just my personal opinion.

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

James R

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 03:37:59 am »

Hello,

and this is also my personal opinion :

They bought the whole package for one little detail and now they are trying to get as much mmoney as possible from the parts of the cake they aren't really interested in.

I cannot imagine that there will be huge improvements in future. You you take the suite as it is, if it fits your needs, useit, and if not, don't expect for changes. 

Robert

You will be right if Google sits on these products and only pushes Snapseed.  Nik needs to aggressively improve their products to keep up with OnOne.  There hasn't been little new from Nik in the past couple years.  Besides, once LR puts in layers and few other tweaks, these other products will be under even more pressure. 

donbga

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 09:58:42 pm »

You will be right if Google sits on these products and only pushes Snapseed.  Nik needs to aggressively improve their products to keep up with OnOne.  There hasn't been little new from Nik in the past couple years.  Besides, once LR puts in layers and few other tweaks, these other products will be under even more pressure. 

Looks like one side effect of the new Nik plugin suite offer is that OnOne has decided to match prices for their plugin suite.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing/nik/

You can watch Matt Kloskowski's plug for the suite. :)

http://player.vimeo.com/video/58646359

Don Bryant

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 08:37:45 am »

No, I always check my spam folder. One thing I dislike about gmail is that I cannot turn the spam filter off. I sent a new e-mail via their contact form as I don't have a direct e-mail address for their customer service.

This time it worked and I got a download of the suites for the Mac. No licenses codes, which was weird.

Garnick

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 11:26:26 am »

This time it worked and I got a download of the suites for the Mac. No licenses codes, which was weird.

I think there would be possibly two reasons for no licenses/codes.  First the possibility that Google has preregistered each suite to the email address, and secondly, they have no intention of producing any upgrades, so it doesn't matter.  Either way you do get the suite free as a registered user, so why not just use it while you can?  Most, if not all plugins are simply a condensed version of what can be done in LR or PS, so if upgrades were no longer available we'd all have to spend some more time learning how to make our own "plugins", correct?  Perhaps not a bad idea overall.

Gary 

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Vladimirovich

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 07:01:54 pm »

Besides, once LR puts in layers and few other tweaks, these other products will be under even more pressure. 

hmmmm... and how exactly layers in PS that I use and where layers were for ages are supposed to hurt Nik ColorEfex plugin for me ?

Glenn NK

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 01:59:33 am »

Besides, once LR puts in layers and few other tweaks, these other products will be under even more pressure. 

I didn't know that layers were planned for LR.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Petrus

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 02:08:12 am »

so if upgrades were no longer available we'd all have to spend some more time learning how to make our own "plugins", correct? 
Gary

Does that mean that those plug-ins somehow wear out and have to be upgraded or they will stop working?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 08:41:13 am »

Does that mean that those plug-ins somehow wear out and have to be upgraded or they will stop working?

I don't think so! What NIK support reported to me was that there would be a notice when you open a plugin about updates just like so many other apps today. The license is connected to your e-mail from what they told me.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 08:43:57 am »

I think there would be possibly two reasons for no licenses/codes.  First the possibility that Google has preregistered each suite to the email address, and secondly, they have no intention of producing any upgrades, so it doesn't matter.  Either way you do get the suite free as a registered user, so why not just use it while you can?  Most, if not all plugins are simply a condensed version of what can be done in LR or PS, so if upgrades were no longer available we'd all have to spend some more time learning how to make our own "plugins", correct?  Perhaps not a bad idea overall.

No issue really and the license is connected to my e-mail adress and will be notified of updates. So that's ok. I didn not even upgrade to from my initial Lightroom bundle since I felt I could essentially do it all in Lightroom or with other Lightroom plugins. But when I could get the upgrade for free I wanted to have it, of course. In general I think Lightroom is taking a huge bite out of various smaller software packages...

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 12:56:50 pm »

Looks like one side effect of the new Nik plugin suite offer is that OnOne has decided to match prices for their plugin suite.
Any discount codes?

MBehrens

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 03:03:00 pm »

Discount Code

northlight

from Canon Rumors
http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/03/nik-collection-bundle-for-126-65/

Says 4/2 only but worked for me today

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 05:26:20 pm »

Discount Code

northlight

from Canon Rumors
http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/03/nik-collection-bundle-for-126-65/

Says 4/2 only but worked for me today
I meant for the OnOne software, but thanks for the thought!

donbga

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 08:13:57 pm »

I meant for the OnOne software, but thanks for the thought!
STUCKINCUSTOMS - 10%

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 09:20:14 pm »

STUCKINCUSTOMS - 10%
Worked like a charm. Thanks!

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 10:54:07 pm »

I've been playing around with Silver Efex for a few days now, and I must say I'm impressed with it.  The control points method of selection works really well in most cases, speeding up the work flow.  I also tried out Dfine on some shadow noise this evening using the Ps version of the plug-in.  Just a first impression but it seems to get the job done really well also.
John
Flickr
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up