Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellowstone in September  (Read 1779 times)

peterpix

• http://perpublisher.com
Yellowstone in September
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:05:57 pm »

Heading to Yellowstone for 5 nights in September and probably  at least two in Jackson Hole (flying in and out of there), but wondering if there is something else to do without too much driving, Glacier is too far.
Peter Randall

francois

Re: Yellowstone in September
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 05:30:09 am »

Heading to Yellowstone for 5 nights in September and probably  at least two in Jackson Hole (flying in and out of there), but wondering if there is something else to do without too much driving, Glacier is too far.

I guess that you already know this but Teton NP (and surrounding region), along the way to Yellowstone, also offers plenty of photographic opportunities.
Francois

masl

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 12:47:27 pm »

First, a week is well spent in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons with dozens of day hikes etc.  Elk are in rut so they'll be more visible, more aggressive than usual.  Plenty to see and do even if you don't like long hikes...
If you must, maybe hop over the mountains out of the Northeast gate on Bear Tooth Highway to Red Lodge and circle back through Bozeman or the other way through Chief Joseph Highway.  If you're more interested in mountain scenery it might quench that thirst though Grand Teton's are very picturesque and there are numerous easy hikes.
-Mark
[font="Verdana"][/font]Too much gear and

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 01:39:50 pm »

I'll second a run up the Beartooth Highway.  Charles Kuralt called it "The most beautiful highway in America"  He should know.  It offers the inestimable privilege of driving a passenger car into the high alpine.  I do mean high.  Nearly 11,00 feet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beartooth_Highway

I wouldn't continue back to Bozeman, though.  I'd run it twice, returning the way you came.  The Chief Joseph Scenic Byway connects to Beartooth and a trip at least as far as Dead Indian Summit is very rewarding. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up