Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HPLV sprayer and compressor info  (Read 3719 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

HPLV sprayer and compressor info
« on: March 29, 2013, 11:08:11 am »

hey guys.  I currently use a Wagner HPLV control spray plus system to spray my prints using LJ's Satin coating.  I want to upgrade to a full system with air compressor and gun.  What type of gun as far as brand and mm size of tip would be best for this process?  Also, what's a good size as far as gallons goes for the air compressor so I can get a good solid shot all the way through.  I used a small pancake type compressor that I got at harbor freight to try this out and withing 5 seconds of spraying the spray would trickle out and compressor would turn back on to gain pressure again.  Thanks for the info guys.  Curious as to what you fellow sprayers use for this process.  Thanks in advance

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Re: HPLV sprayer and compressor info
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 11:23:13 am »

I'm using this sprayer with this compressor. Compressor has no problem keeping up, even on larger panos.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:27:48 am »

I still use the Wagner, Control Spray with the external compressor, works fine for my needs.

The Fuji line up seems to be considered the gold standard, but they are expensive and you would need a considerable volume of prints to justify.
Fuji does match a their own compressor to the gun. 

You can read more about them here:
http://www.hvlpsales.com/mm3.html

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 10:49:16 pm »

I used a Wagner twin turbine for over a year with fairly satisfactory results. But it required lots of fiddling and the nozzle seemed very susceptible to clogging.

I had a 3cfs compressor I used for stapling. I saw where harbor freight had an hplv gun on sale to $13 & figured it was worth the gamble to try. Specs for the gun said it needed 5cfs. The gun worked great! The compressor kicks in about 3/4 of the way through a 3x4' print but never has run out of air. Those pancake compressors are more for small nail guns.

You will need to learn to adjust the correct amount of air and the pressure to around 50 pounds. Practice using plain water. I use the fan shape rather than the round shape. Some technique definitely required, but once you figure it out it's quite easy. Just make sure you clean up well, especially the air ports on the removable nozzle.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 10:51:54 pm by John Nollendorfs »

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 01:16:37 pm »

how timely! I literally logged in to say "my wagner control spray was great for 2 years and now I'm having consistency issues, what's the latest greatest?"...mind if I ask what all in one solution is still the reigning king?

Roscolo

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 05:13:25 pm »

I'm using this sprayer with this compressor. Compressor has no problem keeping up, even on larger panos.

Wow. HUGE thanks for that tip. Just got this spray gun for $11....blows the Wagner away. And just when I was looking for a solution to spray glossy photos...this gun really does the job.

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 05:21:51 pm »

I tried using that exact same gun with timeless. wow it literally shot out nothing but tiny bubbles that popped and made pinholes. what a disaster

Roscolo

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 05:26:40 pm »

You have to get your settings right. Maybe you need to dilute the coating? I don't know. Did you take it apart and clean the gun religiously before you used it like it says? You really have to clean it and soak it in mineral spirits first, then thoroughly rinse and get rid of the mineral spirits.

I fiddled with the settings for 5 minutes and got it to shoot a mist-like spray. Not one bubble, no runs, sheer perfection. Spraying Rosco Matte coating    1:1.5 ;  coating:water. Going to try it with original Clearstar Clearshield Matte next.

You also mention in your first post you tried it with a little pancake compressor. You need a bigger compressor - I would say at least 2-3hp and at least 7-8 gallons. That's probably your problem right there.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:44:56 pm by Roscolo »

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 09:56:02 pm »

I tried using that exact same gun with timeless. wow it literally shot out nothing but tiny bubbles that popped and made pinholes. what a disaster
I've never tried Timeless, but I seem to recall people who spray preferring Glamour II, which is what I've been using without problem.

Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

bwana

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:47:40 pm »

naive question here:
why spray this stuff over your print? isnt print shield enough? or is this coating only for canvas?

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 12:14:26 am »

Print shield is fine for photographic papers and matte fine art papers.  It really isn't the best protection for canvas.  Glamour II, Timeless, and similar coatings provide much better protection, particularly when stretching canvas.  Coating fine art matte papers with Timeless is also possible, but much more tedious and difficult than hvlp for canvas.

Roscolo

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 03:30:47 am »

naive question here:
why spray this stuff over your print? isnt print shield enough? or is this coating only for canvas?

I'm spraying prints on satin photo paper with a matte coating in lieu of laminating the prints, per someone's recommendation here. Prints are 40x50 and will be mounted for display. Pretty much just spraying them to get the matte look per client's request. Prints look great and yes...spraying is much easier than laminating. The only difference here is what was recommended to me was a spray gun that cost several hundred dollars. I'm getting perfect results in no time with the $12 spray gun in the link above. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up