Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jessops return  (Read 1908 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Jessops return
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:19:42 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21970531

Let's hope they succeed under the new stewardship.
Their web site seems to be back on line and three stores have initially reopened with maybe thirty more to follow.
Hopefully good news for the folk that work there and for people wanting a photographic store near them.

niznai

Re: Jessops return
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:05:59 am »

I found their prices weirdly inconsistent or if you will symptomatic of a confused market approach. Some were better than other shops, some were worse, with no obvious logic behind the differences.

Rhossydd

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 09:26:46 am »

I found
Are you referring to their past pricing before being re-structured and re-opened ?

Looking today, they seem reasonably competitive. I hope it remains that way.
My only disappointment on going into my local branch at St Albans this weekend was that there's a total lack of film now :(

You're unlikely to find any one dealer cheaper on everything anyway.

niznai

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 07:57:40 pm »

Are you referring to their past pricing before being re-structured and re-opened ?

Looking today, they seem reasonably competitive. I hope it remains that way.
My only disappointment on going into my local branch at St Albans this weekend was that there's a total lack of film now :(

You're unlikely to find any one dealer cheaper on everything anyway.

I checked them out in January/february this year.

Looking at two Canon L lenses they had one cheaper than and one dearer than the rest.

Rhossydd

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 04:36:30 am »

Looking at two Canon L lenses they had one cheaper than and one dearer than the rest.

That's the way retailing works. It's almost impossible to be cheaper on everything. The retailer gets the best discounts on the big volume sellers, so there's always items they'll be cheaper on, and others they are less competitive on.
With items like the L series glass, there are some big sellers like the 24-105, 17-40, 70-200 and some ( 400mm f2.8 ) they might not sell more than a single unit a year, if ever.

Edited to loose stupid emoticon
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:25:23 am by Rhossydd »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:50:09 am »

... (400mm f2.8) ...

Ain't that one cool f/stop? ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 11:38:31 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

niznai

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:35:02 am »

That's the way retailing works. It's almost impossible to be cheaper on everything. The retailer gets the best discounts on the big volume sellers, so there's always items they'll be cheaper on, and others they are less competitive on.
With items like the L series glass, there are some big sellers like the 24-105, 17-40, 70-200 and some ( 400mm f2.8 ) they might not sell more than a single unit a year, if ever.

Edited to loose stupid emoticon

Not necessarily. Most other shops had prices consistently above or below the competition across the range.

Didn't work for Jessops because I found both lenses in a shop were they were both cheaper than the rest so they lost a sale.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 12:20:18 pm »

As I always maintain: RPM is better. You don't get ripped off, and know the price wherever in the land you may find yourself. It keeps your local dealer alive and brings you convenience as well as someone with a little more muscle than you, and an axe to grind on your behalf.

I know this will be disputed, but they tell me here in Mallorca that the Brits are odd: they will drive the 69 klicks to Palma to save six euros... imagine that being for a lens, and you need to return it three times! Actually, forget that: I never knew a dealer here who would accept anything back unless you were buying something more expensive.

Buy Internet? Only once you know somebody well enough to send your details.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up