Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: GPS Tracking & LR4 Integration  (Read 8493 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: GPS Tracking & LR4 Integration
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 08:11:48 am »

Hi John,

Yes, that easy. Let's say you have shot a morning shoot with 2 cameras and you come back and want to load them into Lightroom and geotag them. After having loaded the images, you select all these images in the library module and then go to the map module (it can be done in different ways too), then load the gpx file and then choose auto tag. Then all images that can be tagged within the tracklog will be geotagged. If you have shot some pictures without having the GPS unit active then the tracklog will not match the images when you didn't have it on, but if you know where you shot them, then select these images and then drag them onto the map where you know they should be.

John Caldwell

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 08:20:40 am »

Yes, Hans, I believe I understand that, but I am asking another question:

What about the case when there are two separate .gpx tracklog files that overlap in time. One file describes the coordinates for images taken with camera 1; the other log file describes coordinates for camera 2's images. But both files contain coordinates at time 09:00:00, and those coordinates are not identical because the tracking devices were in different locations - one was in San Francisco, one in Seattle. But the catalog contains both camera's images taken at precisely the same time - Seattle images at 9am, and San Francisco images at 9am. In other works, can Lightroom allow importation into a given catalog two log files which overlap in time?

If you have answered this question and I missed it, I apologize. Thanks you.

John Caldwell

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 08:24:55 am »

Ok, maybe I didn't read your question careful enough  ;D

In that case go to metadata and select all images from camera 1 from that shoot and then load the tracklog and auto tag. Then repeat the same for camera 2.

John Caldwell

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 09:19:51 am »

Got it, Hans. Will pursue.

Many thanks,

John-

Robert55

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 04:44:00 am »

Garmin tech support, with whom I spoke yesterday, confirms that recent Garmin devices do yield .gpx files, and that the devices are Mac-compatable. I hadn't understood, though, that separate memory needed to added to the unit to allow the .gpx file to be accessed. ..
John Caldwell

You don't need to add extra memory for this, at least not in the etrex 30, which has 1.8Gb of internal memory. Unless you fill that with maps, there is ample space

Phender

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 08:07:41 pm »

I just received an Aokatec GPS receiver for my D800e this morning. It plugs into the ten pin socket on the front of the camera. The destruction manual (actually one page) is pretty awful but I had the thing up and working in a couple of minutes, took a few shots and imported them straight into LR4. The GPS worked brilliantly and seems very accurate. No stuffing about and a bit under $US80 posted. Will have to wait and see how it affects the cameras battery life, but it seems to me a much easier solution than using a smart phone! The Aokatec site is here http://www.aokatec.com/

Peter

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 10:05:45 pm »

If you use Nikon, get a cheap Garmin GPS and a cheap cable that goes into the cable release. The GPS will then be entered in the Exif data. Messing around with tracklogs is for Canon users ;)

John
Unless you have one of these [and a compatible camera]
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up