Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H Macro  (Read 9895 times)

evgeny

Hasselblad H Macro
« on: March 27, 2013, 06:54:19 am »

Hi,

1. Does anybody use the Hasselblad Macro Converter H with the 120mm II lens, how is performance?
2. Can the Hasselblad Macro Converter H be combined with the Hasselblad Extension Tubes?
3. What is the best setup for a high quality closeup jewelry photography with the Hasselblad 120mm II lens?

Thanks
Evgeny

jerome_m

Re: Hasselblad H Macro
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 03:11:57 am »

The macro converter is designed for wide angle lenses, not for the 120mm macro.

design_freak

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:44:29 am »

HTS 1.5 + Extension Tube + HC 80 or HC 100.

But if you want the best quality I would definitely recommend Arca Swiss or Linhof + Digital Back
Best regards,
DF

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 03:51:55 am »

I have used a 100mm + 26mm Extension tube plus a Stackshot to produce some very good high quality images.  You could use the 120mm on its own with the Stackshot and this would be a much cheaper option than buying an HTS.

Info on the Stackshot macro rail here

http://www.cognisys-inc.com/stackshot/stackshot.php
David Watson ARPS

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 03:52:52 am »

I use the HC100 with the macro adapter, works fine. Have not yet tried it with my HC120. I normally use the HTS + extention ring + HC80 or HC100 for small items like jewelry.

Yes, a Linhof with Rodi or SK lenses would be better however I have used a Rollei X-Act with these and the HB is so much more convenient.

I have also often included the use of the Stackshot, awesome piece of equipment if extended DoF is what your are after.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:54:38 am by Dustbak »

evgeny

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 07:17:17 am »

Thanks all for replies!

Thanks for advising a technical camera system. Sure, the Arca Swiss is superb.
I owned 2 and for a shorter time ever 3 MF digital systems in the past, and found it a not money wise acquisition.
I sold everything and just use the Hasselblad H as my working horse.

I have the Stackshot long macro rail, and 28mm, 50mm II, 100mm and 120mm II lenses. That's almost all optics I may need for my kind photography.

The Stackshot rail helps to get jewelry rings all sharp from corner to corner. I suppose I don't need the HTC for that work.

The 120mm is a very sharp macro lens with 1:1 magnification, but only at the closest distance.
The problem is that many jewelry rings are too small to fit the whole frame.

I need a magnification solution, preferable without degradation of image quality, to completely fit the frame with a jewelry ring to fully utilize the 40 megapixels sensor.

Thanks
Evgeny

hasselbladfan

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 08:01:16 am »

Evgeny,

Forget the macro adapter, it is optimized for the 50mm II and other wide angles.

The biggest magnification you can get is with the 120mm, the 1.7x converter and the 52mm combined (2.71 magnification - H data). Without the 1.7x converter, you can only get to 1.61 magnification (with the 52mm).

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:27:42 pm by hasselbladfan »

FredBGG

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 01:19:49 pm »

Thanks all for replies!

Thanks for advising a technical camera system. Sure, the Arca Swiss is superb.
I owned 2 and for a shorter time ever 3 MF digital systems in the past, and found it a not money wise acquisition.
I sold everything and just use the Hasselblad H as my working horse.

I have the Stackshot long macro rail, and 28mm, 50mm II, 100mm and 120mm II lenses. That's almost all optics I may need for my kind photography.

The Stackshot rail helps to get jewelry rings all sharp from corner to corner. I suppose I don't need the HTC for that work.

The 120mm is a very sharp macro lens with 1:1 magnification, but only at the closest distance.
The problem is that many jewelry rings are too small to fit the whole frame.

I need a magnification solution, preferable without degradation of image quality, to completely fit the frame with a jewelry ring to fully utilize the 40 megapixels sensor.

Thanks
Evgeny

Have you considered using your Hasselblad Back on a Fuji GX680. There is an 80mm rail extension option and you would have tilt shift ability.
With the 100mm and a full frame digital back the subject area is about 4x2.75cm with a comfortable focusing distance.
The 80mm will get you about 3.2x2.2

The camera also has a moving loup viewfinder option for fine focusing.

Here is the camera with a 40mm rail extension and the moving loup viewfinder

I have not done a side by side test with the Hassy Macro, but here is a 100% magnification
with the 250mm wide open just to give you a very rough idea of image quality.

I have shot jewelry with this, but mainly on models or "artsy fartsy" still lifes with grainy film etc.

Anyway just a suggestion as a nacro tilt shift sidekick for your Hasselblad back.

A fuji gx680 body version I can be bought for a couple of hundred and same goes for the lens.

kapture group makes high precision digital back adapters, but there are some cheap chinese ones available just to give it a try.

There are a couple of other forum members that shoot product with the 680 and digiback. Maybe they can chime in.

Also it is relatiely simple to have a longer extention rail machined to extend the rails at the body end.

The communication cable that goes to the front end of the camera is a flat cable, similar to a floppy dist flat cable and can be crimped by any cable shop.

There is what the rail looks like taken out of the body. Just two large screws to mount it to the body.

Then all you need to do it connect two bellows together,

There is a little about macro with the Fuji here by Danny Burk

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/gx680iii.shtml

evgeny

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 01:24:15 pm »

Fred, that is a nice camera. I don't want to add a second camera system, please see my post above.

Thanks
Evgeny

FredBGG

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 02:52:43 pm »

Fred, that is a nice camera. I don't want to add a second camera system, please see my post above.

Thanks
Evgeny

Yes it would be a second camera (and an adapter on top of that).

Anyway I thought I would suggest it because it is an inexpensive side kick to an MFDB system and you had mentioned that for you owning a tech cameras was not a money wise move.

It's unfortunate that Hasselblad does not make a macros bellows.

I wonder if it would be possible to use a V macro bellows with the Hasselblad H to V lens adapter....
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:55:18 pm by FredBGG »

hasselbladfan

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 06:01:56 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to use a V macro bellows with the Hasselblad H to V lens adapter....

I am sure with the CF adapter you can fit the old V macro bellow with an old CF 100mm. Why not?

gigdagefg

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 08:46:51 pm »

Not knowing what size print you plan to make, I would tell you that I have used the 120mm very successfully with the 13mm extension tube. Interesting how tight you can get.
I have also had really good success with the Cannon 500D close up lens screwed on the the front of my 120mm macro still using the 13mm extension tube.
Stanley

evgeny

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 04:34:33 am »

Stanley, thanks.

I normally use live view for final precise focus. Anyway, is AF available with the 13mm and 26mm extension tubes?

Thanks
Evgeny

gigdagefg

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 09:32:50 am »

no-manual focus only with extension tubes on the 120 macro but with the large bright Hasselblad viewfinder manual focus is easy or theater with phocus and see the image at 100% or larger if you wish

BAB

Re: Hasselblad H Macro work a round
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 07:43:56 pm »

Seems as though if you use a macro converter with HTS 1.5 and a HC50mm ii, I have been advised it will work...being tested now has anyone tried this set up? And how much tilt (what degrees) can you get? I am very interested to know.
thanks
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 11:17:20 pm »

The more you magnify the less DOF. if you fill the frame you will have 1-3mm of focus
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

jerome_m

Re: Hasselblad H Macro work a round
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 02:17:05 am »

Seems as though if you use a macro converter with HTS 1.5 and a HC50mm ii, I have been advised it will work...being tested now has anyone tried this set up? And how much tilt (what degrees) can you get? I am very interested to know.

I have tried the 50mm ii on an HTS, but not the macro converter. I see no reason why the macro converter would limit the amount of tilt.

BAB

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 01:27:09 pm »

JM
I don't think it limits the tilt but I'm curious about hoe much tilt you can achieve using the macro converter should increase the flange distance I believe, which in that case brings up another question about the possibility of also using the 120 mm Macro with this same combination.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

jerome_m

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 04:54:11 pm »

According to Hasselblad, the 120 macro is not compatible with the HTS.

As I said, I don't have the macro converter. I could try the 50mm on the HTS with a 26mm extender, but I do not see any reason why it would limit the shift capabilities.

What exactly do you want to photograph?

BAB

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 01:35:10 am »

Rings with a 25 mm depth maybe a miscommunication but I'm not saying it would limit the tilt but I'm wondering if the increase in the flange distance with the macro adapter makes it possible to get a bigger or larger image on the sensor allowing the focus distance to be nearer and / a sufficient tilt to gain a greater depth of field.  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up