Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new interface device for Lr users, cheap too  (Read 2975 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
new interface device for Lr users, cheap too
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:55:11 pm »

" The Touch, as its name might suggest, is a tactile interface that lets you use gestures much like those you're accustomed to from devices like smartphones to control your software, allowing you to put down your distraction (and carpal-tunnel)-inducing mouse -- at least for a while. The application is available only for Apple hardware, and relies on your possessing either a Macbook, Apple's Magic Trackpad accessory, or an iPad tablet. (If you opt for the latter, you'll also need an iOS app called The Touch Pad.)"

- from http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/03/25/sliders-begone-new-app-makes-touchpad-or-tablet-your-interface-to-image-edi

http://www.arcticwhiteness.com/thetouch/

Phil Indeblanc

Re: new interface device for Lr users, cheap too
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:06:40 pm »

Sounds interesting.

I find the small sliders in LR being the issue for me looking off the image more an issue than using the keyboard or mouse. They are hard to grab and they are so jumpy and a slight movement makes big changes.  On a 30" 2560x1600 screen they require some effort. I do find my attention off my image more so due to this. 
Also, I would like to sharpen my memory in knowing where the shortcuts are(wish they would make sense with PS), and being able to jump from one editing station to another without having to relearn everything. Although I use a G510 keyboard and I do have Photoshop plugins programmed to the 18x3 custom keys, even that I don't use as often as I thought I would, unless I am doing 50 images with production style editing, which I sometimes do.

I have a device called the Nooq from Logitech. Although it works great with Win7,I don't use it so much. Its a disco item, and you don't know when it will stop working with the OS.
I also have a Wacom Touch pad that I like using. It is slower for a number of things in editing, but it has its place for many things. As another comment mentions, I too wish we could use/test the TOUCH with the Wacom, as with the iPad, the screen maybe smudgy or uncomfortable over long periods.

I would surely try the Touch....Only on MAc? thats limited. I don't feel like moving things to my MAC just to try this.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:28:22 pm »

"I have a device called the Nooq from Logitech. Although it works great with Win7,I don't use it so much. Its a disco item, and you don't know when it will stop working with the OS."

I had one of those too but it recently went to the electronics recycler. Sic semper technology.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 11:18:18 pm »

:-)

When Windows7 first came out, it wouldn't work well with the Nooq. After some updates and time, now all the functions and customization actually work well. I still prefer to use the keyboard. Maybe when we can get the mouse to move by thought?

I wonder if we had to do it all over again, now that we know what the QWERTY is like.....could the keyboard layout be improved on? And how?  Would keeping the letters apart from other keys be the way to go or would changing it just be different and not noticeable better?
I type on these forums and a couple places. Otherwise I use the keyboard for PS, LR, C1, and other apps.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 01:27:04 am »

I downloaded the demo, loaded the app up on my mini iPad, and played with it for about 5 minutes. It looks pretty promising, lots of easy ways to get to many of the main functions in the library module and several key things in the develop module, such as all 5 basic sliders can be handled by just how many fingers you touch and slide with.  There are few things I use frequently such as saturation and clarity that don't seem to be there, and I would prefer to control them instead of white balance and vibrance.  Others certainly would feel differently, would be nice if it was somewhat customizable.

will have to give it a few days to see if it really is worthwhile, or just a novelty.  Only about $20, and the iPad app is free.

ario

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 02:08:30 am »

Saturation an clarity are there, in the same group of controls which includes also temperature,contrast and vibrance.

stamper

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 05:43:39 am »

Quote Phil Reply #1.

I find the small sliders in LR being the issue for me looking off the image more an issue than using the keyboard or mouse. They are hard to grab and they are so jumpy and a slight movement makes big changes.  On a 30" 2560x1600 screen they require some effort. I do find my attention off my image more so due to this. 

Unquote

You don't need to grab the sliders. Just hover the cursor over the appropriate slider and use the up and down arrows. Most are +5 - 5 or use Alt and the arrows for a +1 -1 finer movement. :)

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 09:48:38 am »

I was initially quite intrigued by the potential of Artic’s ‘The Touch’. I downloaded the software and gave it a thorough test within Lightroom. Though I like many of its features - for example, its ability to quickly ‘grab hold’ of sliders - I find the increment of change not any finer than what I can accomplish with the mouse in conjunction with the normal sliders. It may be my Magic Touch Pad or just greasy fingers (egad!), but the results were often inconsistent. With Exposure, Highlights, Shadows, Whites, and Blacks my preferred method remains using the mouse cursor within the Histogram where I am able to easily make small incremental changes of 0,02 EV (with Exposure).

Best Wishes,

Larry

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 11:13:02 am »

Not a bad idea, since everybody seems to be touching today, on tablets and smartphones. However for precise work I would still prefer a (Wacom) tablet. And if touch gestures is also needed -- at a low price -- a Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch can do the trick with pen "and" touch, just as you like and need it; for a rather low price (refurbished they are 49€).

Kind regards

Thomas
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:38:04 am by sm906 »
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie
Pages: [1]   Go Up