Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Expression of Gratitude to CJOGO  (Read 4995 times)

WalterEG

An Expression of Gratitude to CJOGO
« on: March 26, 2013, 07:15:44 pm »

Cjogo,

Thanks for reminding me of the power of the Hasselblad and framing on the square.

You prompted me to buy a new (second-hand, but only just) 'Blad.

The interface of the Hasselblad with waist-level-finder, I find, leads to a quite distinctive take on the world.  And with increased facility over my usual choice of Sinar or Linhof.

With age, comes an increased acceptance of easier options.

Cheers,

Walter

Rob C

Re: An Expression of Gratitude to CJOGO
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:57:18 am »

Cjogo,

Thanks for reminding me of the power of the Hasselblad and framing on the square.

You prompted me to buy a new (second-hand, but only just) 'Blad.

The interface of the Hasselblad with waist-level-finder, I find, leads to a quite distinctive take on the world.  And with increased facility over my usual choice of Sinar or Linhof.

With age, comes an increased acceptance of easier options.Cheers,

Walter

Did I tell you about the cellphone?

I went walkies with my own new/old 2/35mm AIS on the D700 yesterday and ended up wishing I just had the cellphone in my pocket instead of a fucking albatross around my neck.

Such is life in disaster movies.

But a traditional 'blad is different: you don't expect lightness and ease, just good pictures.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 11:34:45 am »

http://j.mp/YHXJWY

Keith, I was on a link I found here yesterday, and a guy was making a video comparing several Leicas and the Sony; it looked very interesting, and so does the comparison you just posted.

I might be tempted to sell everything (if I can find a buyer locally) and do something like that. Or keep everything and just buy additionally. It might be the bee's knees. I have not lost my love for photography - I don't think I ever could, even if I wanted to; it's just that I can't bear inconveniences as I get older. That's one of the reasons I doubt I'll fly again: I rather drive and be where I want to be and not in a cow pen, pushed and prodded and treated like an unwelcome guest with the added insult of paying for the privilege.

Again, thanks for the link.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 11:53:02 am »

Welcome, Rob.

It really is a little gem. I may well be getting it as an addition to a Nikon system. Nikon on my back, Sony in my hand.

God help me, it appears I may be going mainstream!

If it rings your chimes...

;-)

Rob C

http://youtu.be/lX7i7MyjUmc

http://youtu.be/-riTuXx7rKM

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:02:36 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 01:35:19 pm »

Walter, apologies for hijacking your thread.

No need to apologise Keith,

A thread is a living organism with a course all its own.

W

WalterEG

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 01:41:53 pm »

Adding to the derailment:  I just had a foray since December with the Fuji X-E 1 which is also a highly capable and acclaimed mirrorless (but at a fraction of the price of the Sony).  It is a great APS-C camera, but good as it is it ain't no full frame 35mm.

One of the biggest let downs was the focussing.  Great when it locked in at the right point but you could have a cuppa waiting for it to hunt about — especially with the 60mm.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 03:17:40 pm »

Keith,

Before you Nikon - did you see this?

http://youtu.be/n_4xHIqU4t8

Can take R lenses...

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 03:27:11 pm »

Thanks, Rob. Looks as if Leica's making a serious effort to catch up. I wish them all success. On the other hand I wouldn't want to jump in until I see that others have survived the jump. I can't help remembering how close I came to the mistake of buying an M8.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:28:51 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 06:58:31 pm »

Rob, yes, thanks.

I can't help thinking the Leica M is as usual a great rangefinder but with a few outdated and poorly implemented features tacked on. Not at all what I was looking for. A great pity, I had high hopes.

BTW, have you seen the price of used R lenses lately, they've gone through the roof. Folk buying them to use on the Nikon D800 cameras.

I wrote to Leica some years ago asking them why they didn't make their lenses also available with Nikon mount, suggesting they would widen their sales by quite a margin. I received a reply ignoring the direct question, and informing me that they made the R8, a delightful camera in its own right. All I saw in the R8 was a version of the ancient Exakta wedge body shape! Of course, perhaps Nikon wouldn't have allowed them to use the mount...

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 12:57:20 pm »

Link to a thread about using R lenses on Nikon.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/37804-d800-e-leica-r-lenses.html

I suppose that Leica dumped their slr lens system because they didn't make cameras like that themselves, and tooling up to do it, digitally at that, would be too much. But then they do do it in MF, so maybe that argument doesn't really stand.

I guess that losing direct lens coupling must render the use of Leitz glass in other bodies a bit pointless - I hadn't realised that there wasn't a conversion system that let you use auto stopping down etc. Too clumsy by far.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up