Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Back for Mamiya RZ67 System?  (Read 20891 times)

uintaangler

Digital Back for Mamiya RZ67 System?
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:12:55 am »

I have a pretty full Mamiya RZ67 system with some great lenses that are sitting around gathering dust because I am not shooting film at all
I started thinking about finding a digital back for the RZ67 and I am finding the online information more confusing than helpful ???
Can anybody explain my options for going digital with my RZ67?
I have both the Pro and Pro ll bodies - will I need to buy a different ( digital capable ) body?
What digital backs work best with what I already have?
Finally, price is a factor.
I own several very fine Nikon DSLR's and a full complement of lenses and can't afford to spend too much more on gear
Thanks,
Bob

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Digital Back for Mamiya RZ67 System?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:30:14 am »

There is no "best back". Only backs with advantages/disadvantages/prices which are better balanced to your wants/needs/style.

So you'll need to be more specific with:
- budget
- subject matter
- your shooting style
- your needs regarding ISO
- your needs regarding long exposures
- are you okay tethering 100% of the time
- is shooting untethered in the field important?
- what's the widest lens you'll need (referencing a FF Nikon lens as an equivalent is fine; we can translate for you)
- what speed of shooting are you used to, and what speed of shooting would be acceptable (read: not hinder your creative/business/personal needs)

With more detail in these areas you'll get more specific/relevant advice. Otherwise what you're asking is "what's the best car?" which of course has a hundred answers, all of which are correct - to the person giving them.

amsp

uintaangler

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:51:41 am »

Thanks Doug and asmp for responding so quickly.
Doug, I will try to refine my question as best I can to help you and others to help me find my way......
The link provided by asmp is actually a perfect example of why this is so confusing, the more you read the less you know :-\  ( maybe I should say the less I know )
  • If I want to use the RZ67 Pro ll body I already own - what would I have to purchase in the way of cables, adapter, and digital back?
  • If I go ahead and buy the RZ67 Pro ll D body - how does that change what I would still need to acquire - no cables? no adapter?
    I shoot primarily Landscapes
    Budget for entire upgrade, including a good high mp digital back = less than $15,000
Thanks.

amsp

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 11:22:06 am »

Thanks Doug and asmp for responding so quickly.
Doug, I will try to refine my question as best I can to help you and others to help me find my way......
The link provided by asmp is actually a perfect example of why this is so confusing, the more you read the less you know :-\  ( maybe I should say the less I know )
  • If I want to use the RZ67 Pro ll body I already own - what would I have to purchase in the way of cables, adapter, and digital back?
  • If I go ahead and buy the RZ67 Pro ll D body - how does that change what I would still need to acquire - no cables? no adapter?
    I shoot primarily Landscapes
    Budget for entire upgrade, including a good high mp digital back = less than $15,000
Thanks.

I'll try to answer your questions...
The adapter you need depends on what mount is on the digital back, but If you want to use the pro II with a Mamiya mount back (which I recommend) you'll need an HX705 adapter. It should come with all the cables needed too.
If you want to use the pro IID with a Mamiya mount back you'll need the HX701 adapter. This solution needs no cables.
Less than $15,000 should be no problem, I recommend getting a digital back with a sensor as large as possible, a P25, P45, P65 are good options. There are similar backs from Leaf too, but I personally prefer Phase One.

Here's another good thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/34524-df-rz.html

Good luck!

uintaangler

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:48:00 am »

Thanks asmp.
Does anybody know if the RAW converter in Lightroom will work with the Phase 1 digital backs?

TMARK

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 12:09:40 pm »

Thanks asmp.
Does anybody know if the RAW converter in Lightroom will work with the Phase 1 digital backs?

Yes.

uintaangler

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:32:50 pm »

I googled Phase 1 P25 and lots of them seem to be for Hasselblads
Does Phase 1 make different backs for different cameras?
Should I be googling "Phase One P-25 for Mamiya RZ67?

amsp

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:50:26 pm »

I googled Phase 1 P25 and lots of them seem to be for Hasselblads
Does Phase 1 make different backs for different cameras?
Should I be googling "Phase One P-25 for Mamiya RZ67?

Backs come in different mounts, i.e. a P25 can have a Mamiya, Contax, Hasselblad H or V mount. You can only use a Mamiya mount back with the IID without cables. Also, if you get a Mamiya mount you can use the same back on a 645 if you'd like. I use my P25 with both my rz67 IID and a 645AFD.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 05:50:42 pm »

If you're considering a Leaf Aptus/ Aptus-II back then for the Pro/ Pro II you need to order a "Mamiya RZ Interface kit" and when you order it you should specify the mount type of the back (Mamiya/ V series/ H or AFi) and the model or MP count.
The kit includes a marked focusing screen (specific to your sensor size), a lens-to-back sync cable and a camera control cables that allows you to fire the camera from the computer when you shoot tethered (makes sense if you have a motor drive)

Or as amsp mentioned there is also the HX705 adapter made by Mamiya and this one can be used only with Mamiya mount backs. You will need to order the focusing screen, sync cable and remote cable separately

You can contact me offline and I can provide specific part numbers and contacts for your local Mamiya Leaf dealer. Or you can contact MAC via our Contact Form and they will help you out:

Hope this helps

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 06:22:48 pm »

Hello,

I just want to say that I have been using a Mamiya RZ ProIID with a Leaf Aptus 75 for seven years and it has been a match made in heaven.

It is very stable and when connected to a Mac with Leaf Capture it is very stable.

Ciao

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand
Pages: [1]   Go Up