Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who could this be?  (Read 2172 times)

FredBGG

Who could this be?
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:50:03 pm »

I had a chat with an engineer that among other things works in industrial imaging and 3D printing.
(they use very high resolution machine vision to analyze their 3D printing machine work... machines that make 3 dimentional prototypes).
He was up in the Santa Monica Mountains with his Fuji 6x17. We hit it off and I told him about me still shooting with the Fuji gx680.

We were here:

Cell phone... I was scouting and walking the dog.

He told me that a company is considering coming out with a digital back, something that they were not interested
in doing without CMOS and live view
. He said it was from a company that is invested in machine vision cameras.
It would be to cover high speed cropped video and very high res still in non crop in the same device.
A capture back for industrial usage and most likely broader photographic use.
I asked him what about the lenses.... he said the company already makes lenses of various formats.
Well I think I asked a few to many questions and he would not name the company.

So who could this be?

Likely candidates could be Fuji or Pentax.
Both make lenses in various formats as well as have a presence in industrial machine vision.
Also both Fuji and Pentax don't make FF 35mm DSLRs so they would not be hurting another product line, what with FF
making inroads into what much of MFD is used for.

I'm guessing Pentax. They have the capability to make inexpensive MFD and make/made lenses from compacts upto
6x7. The 6x7 lenses could be refreshed as tilt shift lenses for 645 sensor. Adapters for existing 6x7 and 6x6 lenses
could help transition into the format, especially for those with somewhat of a budget issue.
Ricoh, the owner of Pentax has a large industrial machine vision division.. specialized lenses and cameras, but low res.

The Pentax acquisition seems like a good path to obtain higher res know how, both optical and capture
as well as a consumer market.

Well I guess it's any one's guess....

Also Pentax did show a FF 35mm DSLR a while back and then canned it, but may be showing a new one soon.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:12:42 pm by FredBGG »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Re: Who could this be?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 04:47:29 pm »

Fred, you probably spoiled his day by telling him how much you think MFDB to be moribund and how great your D800 is.  Did you ask him if he was part of the conspiracy?   Or have you changed tack again?   Either way, I'm confident you had plenty of advice for him from all your digital MF experience, right? 

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:50:07 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

FredBGG

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:27:09 pm »

Fred, you probably spoiled his day by telling him how much you think MFDB to be moribund and how great your D800 is.  Did you ask him if he was part of the conspiracy?   Or have you changed tack again?   Either way, I'm confident you had plenty of advice for him from all your digital MF experience, right?  

That is totally uncalled for....

Actually the subject of MFD came up because he is tinkering with putting a p25+ on the back of the Fuji 6x17
using a head transport mechanism from one of his printer devices.
Also I doubt I spoiled his day as I just sent him a list of the viewpoints
I've logged on all my kikes and mountain bike rides in the Santa Monica mountains including cell phone panorama roughs.

Like this one...

In a couple of months this will all be dry cracked clay mud. A great secret spot with not marked trails.
I'll be back when it's dry and cracked up.

Actually made his day as he has very little time to explore
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:34:47 pm by FredBGG »

MrSmith

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 07:19:38 am »

Fred do you ride one of those 29'er MTB's or are you a staunch 26in hard tail rider?
Just wondered if you refused that kool-aid too?

;D

torger

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:52:27 am »

Sounds exciting. It would be nice with a new player making digital backs (that can be used on different cameras!), especially from someone like Pentax that has a business model that supports lower prices for the end customer.

Someone that knows how good their 645D sells? Good or bad? Maybe the demand after it has made them more rather than less interested in making MFD products.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:59:40 am by torger »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 09:10:12 am »

Torger, to followup on this rumor just climb the not-so-proverbial mountaintop.

torger

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:25:13 am »

Torger, to followup on this rumor just climb the not-so-proverbial mountaintop.

Huh? Now you're too smart for me, remember I'm Swedish so I may not know all your proverbs ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up