Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Nik Collection by Google  (Read 29108 times)

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
Re: Nik Collection by Google
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 01:17:09 pm »

I installed it on both of my Macs, desktop, and laptop, without any problem. No presets were destroyed or changed. Looking at my plug-ins menu I saw the Nik Collection which I had just installed, and the previous versions of my Nik plug-ins listed separately as they had been. I didn't want both so I found the old versions in the PS Plugin folder and just deleted them.

No problems.

mefnj

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 07:27:24 pm »

UPDATE:  I asked the question to the people moderating the discussion linked to above, and i got this response back

"The Nik Collection contains all of the Nik plug-ins. The installer will replace the old Nik Software versions of Color Efex Pro 4, HDR Efex Pro 2, Silver Efex Pro 2, Viveza 2, Sharpener Pro 3, and Dfine 2. It will leave older products alone, like Color Efex Pro 3, Silver Efex Pro 1, HDR Efex Pro 1, etc. You really don't want two copies of the same product on your system :)"

so... i guess what happened was supposed to happen when you installed the Nik Collection

i'm still wondering about the use of the pieces as standalone instead of plugins...

UPDATE 2: I installed the Nik Collection.  It did overwrite my existing HDR Efex Pro 2 and Color Efex Pro 4, but all my customs were intact.  AND all the components will run as 32-bit standalone programs by simply dragging the image you want to edit onto a desktop shortcut icon for a component .exe.  YESSSS!!!

Hope everyone else has similar good experience.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 09:06:46 pm »

Sure is legit. I downloaded the update last night and it works beautifully although I've used only a few features so far. Looks about the same in all the neat functions. I love the whole suite, especially the output sharpener.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 10:38:33 pm »

... Funny thing is that I use gmail and their own promotional mail got into the spam folder!

For years I thought Windows is the worst product on this planet. In 2005, I switched when I realized that my day starts not with my computer serving my needs, but me serving the computer: download and install latest virus definitions, check for malware, etc.

Now my day starts with checking what Gmail erroneously sent to the spam folder. Without exception, 99% of my Linked In communication is already there (one way for Google to deal with the competition, I guess). And, as you noticed, Google's own product ended up in their spam folder too. How ironic.

I simply stopped using Gmail for anything serious and important.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 11:40:31 am »

The coupon when used to purchase says: David Ziser Promo (Excludes 3rd party products & specials).
What does that mean?

Petrus

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 01:52:54 pm »

The coupon when used to purchase says: David Ziser Promo (Excludes 3rd party products & specials).
What does that mean?

Apparently this David Ziser guy is a photography blogger of some sort and has a promotional deal with Google/Nik. It works, who cares. Or did I sell my soul?

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 02:37:53 pm »

David Ziser is a well-known (to those in the business) wedding photographer that does a great deal of teaching, seminars, etc.  http://www.davidziser.com/, and most likely has been a spokesperson for NIK.

http://www.davidziser.com/

Mark

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 03:42:22 pm »

What does (Excludes 3rd party products & specials) mean?  How does it effect the product I'm buying?

howardm

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 04:39:10 pm »

It doesn't.

There are LOTS of NIK discount coupons running around the net.  Even NIK knew the product was overpriced and many photographers who did seminars or webinars etc that 'pushed' NIK products would give a coupon code to give 15% off.

Jason Odell (code:  JODELL) is another.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 06:18:16 pm »

Let's all drink a toast to David Ziser the next time we have cocktails with fellow photo geeks. Or Jason Odell, if you prefer.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2013, 07:45:14 pm »

Why would you take advantage of this "upgrade" if you already have the Complete Collection (bought last Fall)?

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 08:39:31 pm »

Why would you take advantage of this "upgrade" if you already have the Complete Collection (bought last Fall)?

I thought the same thing but there are differences in the underlying program structure. And since it's a free update that turned out to be very quick and problem-free, I'm glad I downloaded and installed it.

Dennishh

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 09:52:21 pm »

I just called the telephone number from support and gave them my name and e-mail. They sent a link to download all the filters free because I own Color efx pro 4.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 10:44:18 pm »

Because going forward, the "Nik Collection by Google" may be the only way to get updates and upgrades. And it's free.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 11:28:55 pm »

Jeff:  You have a wonderful portfolio.  Nice eye for composition color and inspirational pictures.   Your family shots with you on vacation are terrific.  You seem to have a patient and helpful wife. Your B/W's are very good.  Were you using NIK Special Efex or something else?  How do you get the sky black?  Alan.

JeffKohn

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 10:41:22 am »

Jeff:  You have a wonderful portfolio.  Nice eye for composition color and inspirational pictures.   Your family shots with you on vacation are terrific.  You seem to have a patient and helpful wife. Your B/W's are very good.  Were you using NIK Special Efex or something else?  How do you get the sky black?  Alan.
Thanks for the kind words, Alan. I've been using Silver Efex Pro for my B/W conversions since it first came out. Hated to spend that much on a plugin at the time, but for the use I've gotten out of it, it was well worth it.
Jeff Kohn

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 11:30:45 am »

When making a black sky, do you find it gets grainy looking if you darken too much?  Your shots seem to not have that but it could be ahrd to tell because it's small picture. Do you see the graininess when you enlarge?  Do you use the "red" filter in Speial Efex or just  the "blue" slider?

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 06:18:53 pm »

I just received an email supposedly from Google letting me know as a registered Nik user, I could download the "New Nik Collection".  Anyone know if this is legit or have any other information on it?  If it is legit, it's worded that if anyone uses just one Nik product they will be giving you the entire collection for free.  Makes me nervous about the future of Nik.

Mark

At last - a piece of ethical marketing by a software company.

Well done Google/Nik.

Let's hope Adobe take note and rein-in their odious money-grabbing practices.

I was delighted to receive that e-mail from Google, which allowed me to move up from the Silver Efex/HDR Efex/Color(sic)Efex trilogy that I had purchased some time ago and obtain the full suite free of charge.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

JeffKohn

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2013, 10:59:50 pm »

When making a black sky, do you find it gets grainy looking if you darken too much?  Your shots seem to not have that but it could be ahrd to tell because it's small picture. Do you see the graininess when you enlarge?  Do you use the "red" filter in Speial Efex or just  the "blue" slider?
The deeper the blue in the sky to start with, the easier it is to darken during conversion. Polarizing filters can help. I use a mix of the color filter and the individual color sliders. You might see some grain at 100% on screen, but it doesn't show on prints. (In fact I often add grain to large prints, IMHO it looks better than the smooth, plastic look of a grain-free digital enlargement).
Jeff Kohn

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2013, 01:37:53 am »

At last - a piece of ethical marketing by a software company...

Sounds more like a fire sale to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up