Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Nik Collection by Google  (Read 29106 times)

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
Nik Collection by Google
« on: March 25, 2013, 01:47:30 pm »

I just received an email supposedly from Google letting me know as a registered Nik user, I could download the "New Nik Collection".  Anyone know if this is legit or have any other information on it?  If it is legit, it's worded that if anyone uses just one Nik product they will be giving you the entire collection for free.  Makes me nervous about the future of Nik.

Mark

howardm

Re: Nik Collection by Google
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 01:52:45 pm »

They lowered the price of ALL 6 plug-ins (the entire collection) to a total of $149 so if you bought a single plug-in (probably $149),
they will give you the remainder.  I think you'll have to email support w/ the current registration # though.

It's fully legit and you can use DZISER as an additional discount code.

mvsoske

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 02:00:01 pm »

Thanks.  I suppose I should have gone to their website first.  Still just curious as to their direction in the future.

Mark

howardm

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:10:01 pm »

You and everyone else :)

They say they are committed to the product and this is their first salvo. 

From the story on Digital Photography Review Connect

"I talked to Josh Haftel, Product Manager at Google, who told me that this new bundle is all but identical to the previously available versions, with the only changes of note being an all-in-one installer, and Google branding. He also commented that Google plans to continue to develop and support Nik software’s plugins, saying:

“We definitely plan to continue developing and evolving the software. This is our first release and by bringing this under the Google brand, we hope to show our commitment not only to Nik users, but to the photography community at large.”

If you previously bought any of these plugins, Google isn’t going to leave you in the cold for already having dropped a lot of money. If you purchased any individual plugin within the last five years, you get the entire collection for free. If you spent more than $149 on plugins since February 22nd of this year, you’ll be refunded the difference."

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/4452357456/google-nik-software-plugins

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 02:38:42 pm »

I found this a bit hard to believe as well. Went to their site. Hit the appropriate links, and got an email with a link for a free download of all the software. I did buy SEP in 2008. Easy peazy. Installed. Working as advertised.

If there's a 'catch', I don't know. What the future holds for NIK, don't know that either.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 02:40:29 pm »

what is interesting - how that will affect a competition (pricewise).

mvsoske

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 03:33:56 pm »

Thanks everyone. Good to know the install worked and all is good.

Mark

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:07:15 pm »

They're almost giving it away at this point.  I've been running the trial of Silver Efex and Viveza, they're great products and definitely worth $150.  I thought their complete collection price of 400+ was absurd though.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 06:42:32 pm »

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing. Funny thing is that I use gmail and their own promotional mail got into the spam folder!

Ed B

• Light Conspiracy
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 07:38:56 pm »

I wonder if Google will take this suite and make it stand alone with their own raw converter?

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 05:29:13 am »

Well that was nice, & easy, in equal measure. Since moving everything to my new Mac, Silver Efex has been playing up, wanting me to enter the serial each time I use it. I'm now upgraded to Silver Efex 2 for free, and everything just works. Brilliant.

walter.sk

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 06:05:20 pm »

Had all of the NIK except Sharpener.  Got my email from Google/NIK and downloaded my NIK installer and ran it.  All of the 6 programs are working.  I have a couple of questions:

1) I have the NIK software on a Windows machine with one email address, which is the one referred to above.  I also have the NIK software on a Mac laptop, and have a different email address on that, as well.  In the past I have simply gone to the NIK website and downloaded upgrades, and had no problem with them recognizing my installed version once I entered my serial numbers, which were on the NIK website under my account.  Now, I forwarded the Google/NIK email to my Mac, and it came up empty.  So, which should I do: download the Mac version of the NIK installer to a thumbdrive in my PC and then copy it to the Mac, or should I just download the Mac Trial Version from the Mac and run it?  Will it recognize that I have 5 of the 6 programs on the Mac and register the stuff the way it did on my PC?

2)  Having installed the Google/Nik set on my PC, I find that it has uninstalled or overwritten my previous versions.  However, I can find no indication, even clicking on the NIK symbol, that my software is still registered to me.  Has Google simply put that info on their website so that it will be done automatically when they offer upgrades>

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 07:19:21 pm »

Hi,

1) Two things to try:

a) In the mail, could you right click on the "MAC" button and select "Copy link Address"? Then paste it to a text message that you can send to your Mac and try it there.

or

b) At the bottom of the mail there should be a link to "To view this email as a web page, click here". Open the page, copy the URL and send it to your Mac.

2) No clue about how Google handles the registration

Regards,

mefnj

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:30:57 pm »

2)  Having installed the Google/Nik set on my PC, I find that it has uninstalled or overwritten my previous versions.  However, I can find no indication, even clicking on the NIK symbol, that my software is still registered to me.  Has Google simply put that info on their website so that it will be done automatically when they offer upgrades>

this is rather troubling... all the posts over here https://plus.google.com/112991908363536599988/posts/dwJAcwuphTa seem to say that the Google NIK Collection wil NOT overwrite your previous versions and you can still use them as is... i use Color Efex Pro 4 and both versions of HDR Efex Pro as standalone programs (i don't have or use PS or LR) on my Win 7 machine and would really not want to lose that capability due to installing the Nik Collection. 

any further experience??

mefnj

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 12:04:29 am »

this is rather troubling... all the posts over here https://plus.google.com/112991908363536599988/posts/dwJAcwuphTa seem to say that the Google NIK Collection wil NOT overwrite your previous versions and you can still use them as is... i use Color Efex Pro 4 and both versions of HDR Efex Pro as standalone programs (i don't have or use PS or LR) on my Win 7 machine and would really not want to lose that capability due to installing the Nik Collection. 

any further experience??

UPDATE:  I asked the question to the people moderating the discussion linked to above, and i got this response back

"The Nik Collection contains all of the Nik plug-ins. The installer will replace the old Nik Software versions of Color Efex Pro 4, HDR Efex Pro 2, Silver Efex Pro 2, Viveza 2, Sharpener Pro 3, and Dfine 2. It will leave older products alone, like Color Efex Pro 3, Silver Efex Pro 1, HDR Efex Pro 1, etc. You really don't want two copies of the same product on your system :)"

so... i guess what happened was supposed to happen when you installed the Nik Collection

i'm still wondering about the use of the pieces as standalone instead of plugins...

Petrus

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 12:37:39 am »

I downloaded the trial version, tested it, and bought the package. Came to $129 with the discount code mentioned in the second post of this thread. Looks like are real steal deal to me. No doubt that a true PS wizard could do the same things by manipulating PS controls and layers manually, but we only have a certain amount of time in this life...

tived

• http://
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 01:13:03 am »

is this offer for one or two seats? (installs)

Henrik

EDIT: Looked under help and it says install on two computers!!! FYI
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:19:58 am by tived »

walter.sk

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 11:39:57 am »

...In the mail, could you right click on the "MAC" button and select "Copy link Address"? Then paste it to a text message that you can send to your Mac and try it there.
or
...At the bottom of the mail there should be a link to "To view this email as a web page, click here". Open the page, copy the URL and send it to your Mac.
I downloaded the Mac version to a thumb drive on my PC and ran it on the Mac from the thumb drive.  No problem.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 12:52:00 pm »

It's fully legit and you can use DZISER as an additional discount code.

I used that code, and bought the bundle for $126. Excellent.

Just curious - where did that code come from originally?

Baxter

• http://www.baxterbradford.com
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 01:08:25 pm »

Does anyone know a way to prompt them to send the email with the link to download the whole suite for existing customers?

I bought Silver Efex Pro, then upgraded it to Version 2, but have had no sign of the email they said they would send. Having been on to what was the Nik software website, I see it's been rebranded and the contact support and login sections are no longer visible.

Does anyone know whether in the installation of the whole suite, saved presets are retained? It's taken me a while to refine the looks I like for presets and am keen that this facility is retained.

Many thanks

Baxter
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up