Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nik Collection by Google  (Read 29121 times)

Garnick

Re: Nik Collection by Google
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2013, 09:52:23 am »

This may sound like a bit of paranoia on my part, but I am somewhat skeptical of the intent and/or possible ramifications of this offer from Google.  I usually read all of the terms of use etc included with the installation of any software package.  I have indeed downloaded the "free" NIK/Google collection, having been a registered user for many years.  However, after reading the "Terms of Service" I have some minor reservations about the install.  Google refers to this software as a "Service" and there are several items in the "Terms" that I find questionable and perhaps troublesome.  Therefore, I'm going to refrain from installing until I've had more time to completely digest the information in the "Terms of Service".  One of the sentences related to downloadable software is as follows - "You may not copy, modify, distribute, sell, or lease any part of our Services or included software, nor may you reverse engineer or attempt to extract the source code of that software, unless laws prohibit those restrictions or you have our written permission".  I have no issue with most of that statement, except for the reference to "copying".  Generally the first thing I do after downloading any software is to make several backups of the installation package.  In this case, three backups on three separate drives, plus a DVD.  I take NO chances on losing downloaded software.  My concern is how Google would know if I have copied the install package of the NIK/Google Collection.  In my opinion that information can only be made available to Google through a thorough scan of my computer, and that is a very disturbing possibility to consider.  And of course there's also the fact that at any time Google can make the "Service"(software) unusable on any computer, according to the "Terms".  I may be way out in left field on this, but I'll exercise caution at this point and keep an eye on this thread until I'm satisfied that no one else harbors such concerns.

Gary

P.S. One of my favourite quips - "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get me" 
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Paris1968

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2013, 10:17:06 am »

The discount code RONMART also drops the price to $126.00.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:18:56 am by Paris1968 »

LoisWakeman

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 11:52:11 am »

Does anyone know a way to prompt them to send the email with the link to download the whole suite for existing customers?
Go to the Nik support/help pages at http://support.google.com/nikcollection/#topic=3039620, and send details including a serial number and they will email you a link back that downloads a registered rather than a trial copy - mine came in about 30 seconds!

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 02:54:02 pm »

what is interesting - how that will affect a competition (pricewise).

An interesting question, yes! There are a couple of other plug-in suites that come to mind from onOne and Topaz. Also AKVIS.

Nik/Google offers (6) plug-ins for $150 (discount available); onOne (7) for $200 (occasional discount available); Topaz (10) for $300 (15% discount available) and AKVIS (18) for $468 and up.

You'd have to line them up and make a comparison chart to be exactly sure but there is some overlap and some uniqueness among the sets.

I was surprised to see Google actually not only re-release the Nik plug-ins but charge for them (albeit a much lower price). I understand they weren't really updated, just rebranded, which raises a bit of a red flag (this would have been a great opportunity to kick them up a notch). They promise further development, but one has to wait to see. Between the future uncertainty due to the nature of Google and the questionable TOS, I wouldn't fully trust them.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up