Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dynamic range  (Read 8269 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Dynamic range
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 04:33:32 pm »

Hi,

Here is a shadow detail. Left image is straight exposure and right image HDR from five three exposures. The HDR image has clearly better shadows and the single exposure is quite noisy. It has a lot of DR but at the expense of excessive noise.

Third image is somewhat more excessive noise reduction in LR.

In this case HDR may be a good solution. I made several exposures of this subject, with HDR on mind.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, can you show a 100% view crop of shadow detail brightened in one of the sun shots to show how much meaningful detail is present? Those trailing RGB vertical bars on the shadow end graphed in Rawdigger screengrab is difficult for me to relate EV levels to reproducing what the human eyes see.

Thanks,

Tim

P.S. I appreciate the hard work and effort in your demonstrations and input on this subject.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:59:31 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 10:29:45 pm »

Thanks, Erik.

The single exposure version isn't that bad considering the sparse amount of work involved compared to the hassle of blending a 5 exposure HDR treatment.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 10:58:42 pm »

Hi,

I realized it was just three exposures and not five. It is quite simple to do HDR from Lightroom using "Merge to HDR Pro in Photoshop" and tone mapping in LR 4.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks, Erik.

The single exposure version isn't that bad considering the sparse amount of work involved compared to the hassle of blending a 5 exposure HDR treatment.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:01:15 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up