Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeff's book the Digital Print can be preordered  (Read 12276 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Jeff's book the Digital Print can be preordered
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:18:17 am »

Hi all,

If you want the next book by Jeff Schewe, The Digital Print, it is available for pre-order at Amazon.com and they say shipping is May 30. In case anyone is interested.....  ;D

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Jeff's book the Digital Print can be preordered
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:40:42 am »

Hi all,

If you want the next book by Jeff Schewe, The Digital Print, it is available for pre-order at Amazon.com and they say shipping is May 30. In case anyone is interested.....  ;D

Thanks Alan.

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:54:51 am »

I confess to some anticipation here.
Schewe will get a sale from me.
I bet it is even better than "The Digital Negative".

Tony Jay

francois

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:56:33 am »

Hi all,

Alan

Alan,
I thought that this was a new book, again, but looking at my Amazon orders show that I pre-ordered it on December 21, 2012! I had forgotten about it completely. I'm eager to read it as the Digital Negative was both interesting and instructive.
Anyway, thank you for reminding me that the Digital Print will soon be here!
Francois

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 11:53:28 am »

...they say shipping is May 30. In case anyone is interested.....  ;D

Although it doesn't show up yet on Amazon, the book will be delayed a bit. There's a good reason why...it seems that a software company who produces digital imaging software might have some new goodies on the horizon.

So, hang in there...it'll happen, just a bit later than we all thought 7-8 months ago.

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 12:57:19 pm »

If this means that the next version of LR will be shipped preloaded with printer/paper combinations it will be worth the wait.   

I'm thinking hard about what other feature would affect the print workflow and came up with nothing of significance.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

tived

• http://
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 04:16:44 am »

I have been complaining to my local book shop all this time thinking they were just slack for not having you book on their shelf's here

shame on me  ;D

Well, I am still looking forward to it

Henrik

Dan Glynhampton

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 04:54:37 pm »

Although it doesn't show up yet on Amazon, the book will be delayed a bit. There's a good reason why...it seems that a software company who produces digital imaging software might have some new goodies on the horizon.

So, hang in there...it'll happen, just a bit later than we all thought 7-8 months ago.

Jeff - Amazon.co.uk is showing the estimated shipping date as the 16th May.  I guess from your comments here that's not going to happen.  Can you give any hints as to when we'll see the book?  I've had a copy pre-ordered since February  :)

Schewe

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 08:51:40 pm »

Jeff - Amazon.co.uk is showing the estimated shipping date as the 16th May.  I guess from your comments here that's not going to happen.  Can you give any hints as to when we'll see the book?  I've had a copy pre-ordered since February  :)

Amazon UK is behind the times...because of Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 coming next month, I deferred the release date. Now on track to ship end of July, beginning of Aug. Amazon US has the new date up.

Sorry...but I originally though I wouldn't need to worry about Photoshop CC/LR5 when the original schedule was set almost 9 months ago because I knew there wasn't gonna be any changes in printing, but...we (the publisher and I) decided it would be a mistake to ship a book whose screenshot would already be a version back when released.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 02:39:30 am »

Amazon Germany also tells it will be available after 15th of Mai.

So, we all will take a deep breath, sit back and wait....

If the quality of this book just meets half of the quality of the former one, it will be absolutely worth waiting for it.

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Dan Glynhampton

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 01:16:54 pm »

Sorry...but I originally though I wouldn't need to worry about Photoshop CC/LR5 when the original schedule was set almost 9 months ago because I knew there wasn't gonna be any changes in printing, but...we (the publisher and I) decided it would be a mistake to ship a book whose screenshot would already be a version back when released.

No need to apologise about it Jeff, good decision I think, and thanks for the update on when we can expect to see the book.

Dan

Iluvmycam

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 03:28:12 pm »

Is that book good for very advanced printers?

If I only got 1 or 2 things from it that would be fine. I looked over the books info. Seemed to fit medium printers and below from a quick look. What do you think?

Thanks

Schewe

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 01:09:24 am »

Is that book good for very advanced printers?

How advanced are you? What printers are you using? What substrates? How well do you understand color science/color management? How good are you at optimizing tone and color in Lightroom or Photoshop? How do you choose your substrates, what are their longevities? Do you substrates use OBA's? Are you sure?

Did you know that Photoshop's Print command can be recorded as an action and applied as a batch operation from Bridge to as many images you select? Do you know about the Conditional Action in CS6 13.1/CC? (sorry, it won't be in the standard version of CS6).

Will you learn enough to make you glad you bought the book? I hope so...if not, I think there's a return policy from Amazon where you can return it.

Just sayin'

:!)

stamper

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 04:14:01 am »

When it finally comes out will it be Cloud only.? ;) :)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 08:43:03 am »

When it finally comes out will it be Cloud only.? ;) :)

The publisher has already lost a couple of months of revenue in order to allow for an updated cover ..., so what do you think?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Iluvmycam

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 01:15:31 pm »

How advanced are you? What printers are you using? What substrates? How well do you understand color science/color management? How good are you at optimizing tone and color in Lightroom or Photoshop? How do you choose your substrates, what are their longevities? Do you substrates use OBA's? Are you sure?

Did you know that Photoshop's Print command can be recorded as an action and applied as a batch operation from Bridge to as many images you select? Do you know about the Conditional Action in CS6 13.1/CC? (sorry, it won't be in the standard version of CS6).

Will you learn enough to make you glad you bought the book? I hope so...if not, I think there's a return policy from Amazon where you can return it.

Just sayin'

:!)

Thanks for the feedback.

While your book is not that much $, my bookcase ran out of room long ago. So have to be careful. I don't like the return game unless something is broken.

I'm an old film photog. Did all aspects of BW and color wet work up to dye transfers. With digital I'm very basic, but can crank out decent prints. I use LR 3 and some HDR software. Have LR 4 and don't like the new controls. I use it for the PDF book part. I will get LR5 just for the color brush. I also have NIK, Alien Skin and Topaz. But don't use them very much.

I use an R2000 and 3880. I've used almost all papers out there.(90+)  My standard papers are Hahn Ultrasmooth and FA Baryta. I prefer no / low OBA, but have to go with what works best with my printers. The FA Baryta is very tough and offers the best gloss choice for no GO with my 3880. I use 3880 mainly for BW. R2000 is nice for the hyper real stuff and has GO which smooths burnt out HDR highlights that show up in the gloss reflection if done with the 3880.

While I love some of the nice air dried F finishes on some of the other gloss papers, many of these papers are too delicate and scuff up before you can even get them sleeved. So I don't use them. I produce a limited edition hand printed book and use various duo papers for it. Sadly, I could not go with a nice DUO Hahn rag as it makes the book too thick for spiral binding. So I use a RC DUO. (BTW, Hahn rag DUO would cost about $160 per book.)

My prints look my my images more or less. I'm looking to fine tune my BW some more. Maybe your image book might help me out with LR?Although I'm pretty good with basic controls. I would just like to get my BW work to look more like film and less flat. You know the tell tale digital BW look. I don't use PS except for 'Elements' to print in the center of paper for FA prints or to print text on photos made into stickers.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 05:06:46 pm by iluvmycam »

Schewe

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 03:56:58 pm »

And one question has never been answered by any of the print gurus on the forum or ones I wrote to in private...

When I use Epson's software to print the image is sharper than when I use PS  Element. The grain on old film scans comes out kinda mushy with the PS/E when compared to the grain on pix printed with Epson's software.

If you want a low res copy of my book, PM me your email address that will accept an 11mb file and will send you a copy. It has the dye transfer vs inkjet fade test photos in it.

What software? Epson EasyPrint? I suspect, but know for a fact since I've never used it, that the EasyPrint may do some low level sharpening automatically.

BTW, that's for the offer of the book PDF...I've IM'ed you!

tived

• http://
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 08:42:04 pm »

I would love to have both a Digital version of the book as well as the printed version, The digital version for when I am on the road, and either just want to read it, but also as index reference when needed.

Where do I sign up :-)

Henrik

johnvr

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 09:29:26 am »

Sorry, I can't buy it. You see, I'm an amateur, so despite my mistaken belief that Photoshop was also for me, Jeff today has cleared up my misunderstanding: Photoshop is not, and never was, for me. Hence, I cannot longer use it and hence I would waste my money if I were to buy Jeff's book discussing printing via Photoshop. Jeff's book is only for pros.

Maybe if he wrote another book about just using LR, but I'm not sure Jeff can work on two tracks at the same time. His colleagues at Adobe surely can't, although apparently for LR they can still make an exception. Maybe Jeff can too.

Schewe

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 12:05:25 am »

Maybe if he wrote another book about just using LR, but I'm not sure Jeff can work on two tracks at the same time. His colleagues at Adobe surely can't, although apparently for LR they can still make an exception. Maybe Jeff can too.

So, did you read the book's description? "The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing"

Guess which app get's really extensive coverage? Lightroom...

Personally, I print from Lightroom because the workflow is superior to Photoshop. Photoshop is ok and both Photoshop and Lightroom can produce essentially the same results. But the workflow in Lightroom makes it easier with far less chance of user error...

That said, there are things you'll still need Photoshop (or some sort of pixel editor) for; retouching and image combinations and all the stuff Photoshop can do that Lightroom can't.

So, it would be disingenuous to ignore Photoshop and only deal with Lightroom. But even if I work on them in Photoshop I save them and end up printing from Lightroom.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up