Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Embargoed Press Release from Hasselblad  (Read 6305 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Embargoed Press Release from Hasselblad
« on: March 24, 2013, 09:58:34 pm »

Hi Folks,

I have been told by a friend who works in the trade press that they have received a Hasselblad press releases which is still under embargo.

Hasselblad are announcing a mirrorless MF camera, the HML. This new model is built around a square Sony CMOS sensor providing Liveview. One of the peculiarities of this new sensor is that it allows an electronic shutter mode which enables pictures to be taken silently without triggering a shutter cycle provided the lens is stopped down. Video can also be recorded for short periods. This liveview mode allows the new Hasselblad HML to work seamlessly with older C and CF lenses with the help of the existing C to H adapter. A further adapter will be made available to make the HM compatible with Contax 645 lenses.

The HML is intended to be an accessible product, and to keep the price down there is only a very basic display screen as the device is intended to work out of the box with an iPad or other web and wifi enabled tablet, or the Google headmounted display, in 2014.

The world famous fashion photographer Bernard J. R. Cooter has commented "This camera will let me shoot the way I want, fast, to give my customers what they want, fast. The square format will help me repurpose files for horizontals or verticals. I'll be the first in line to buy the HML!".

I hope you all appreciate this heads-up, in light of the recent Phase announcements; prototypes will be shown to the public during a press conference scheduled for the end of next week. Jeff Schewe has already been provided with a working camera, and his review will be posted here on April 1st :)

Edmund

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 10:50:42 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Re: Embargoed Press Release from Hasselblad
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 10:38:38 pm »

Thanks Edmund. A square sensor is my personal answer (and some other's, I hope) to vastly improve the easiness of my craft.
Eduardo

gerald.d

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:02:55 pm »

I wonder just how big this MF square sensor will be? 48x48 would be larger in surface area than any existing MF sensor, so I guess that's out of the question for an "accessible" camera. Presumably we're looking more towards the 36x36 end of the scale here.

And if the sensor size is less than 40x40, I'm not sure how that is of any benefit at all (when considered in isolation), because you could of course get the same result by shooting a full size MF sensor in either portrait or landscape, and then cropping into it.

The comment around keeping the price down by only having a basic screen doesn't make much sense. The cost of the screen would hardly be significant compared to other components.

And video? That's going to take some meaty processing to deliver off a MF chip.

We live in interesting times, but perhaps the review date of April 1st should be reconsidered?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:12:10 pm by gerald.d »

DanielStone

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:11:16 pm »

hope they(HB) can bring out a square-FF(56x56) chip for the V-series, although I really doubt it'll ever happen...

even if it was a measly 30-40mp rez-wise, being able to have the "freedom" to crop as you wish would be nice, it'd be a nice addition to a 555ELD or a 503CW. Or even a 203fe/205t/fcc body?

-Dan

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 12:17:46 am »

Hi,

My impression was it that the info is embargoed until next monday...

Best regards
Erik

Hi Folks,

I have been told by a friend who works in the trade press that they have received a Hasselblad press releases which is still under embargo.

Hasselblad are announcing a mirrorless MF camera, the HML. This new model is built around a square Sony CMOS sensor providing Liveview. One of the peculiarities of this new sensor is that it allows an electronic shutter mode which enables pictures to be taken silently without triggering a shutter cycle provided the lens is stopped down. Video can also be recorded for short periods. This liveview mode allows the new Hasselblad HML to work seamlessly with older C and CF lenses with the help of the existing C to H adapter. A further adapter will be made available to make the HM compatible with Contax 645 lenses.

The HML is intended to be an accessible product, and to keep the price down there is only a very basic display screen as the device is intended to work out of the box with an iPad or other web and wifi enabled tablet, or the Google headmounted display, in 2014.

The world famous fashion photographer Bernard J. R. Cooter has commented "This camera will let me shoot the way I want, fast, to give my customers what they want, fast. The square format will help me repurpose files for horizontals or verticals. I'll be the first in line to buy the HML!".

I hope you all appreciate this heads-up, in light of the recent Phase announcements; prototypes will be shown to the public during a press conference scheduled for the end of next week. Jeff Schewe has already been provided with a working camera, and his review will be posted here on April 1st :)

Edmund

Erik Kaffehr

philipchan

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 01:47:50 am »

Contents of embargo press release, review for April 1st release!!! ::) ???

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 05:48:43 am »

his review will be posted here on April 1st :)

I thought so, I had heard on April 1st last year that internal regulations at Sony forbid the selling of square sensors.

Cheers,
Bernard

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 07:03:31 am »

Square, (mechanical) shutterless operation, CMOS, live view, what's not to like?

Oh, and April 1 is a terrible date to announce revolutionary technology.  But if they're still offering it on April 2, I'll be very interested! ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:11:12 am by bradleygibson »
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

hjulenissen

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 07:13:38 am »

Not taking a position on the seriousness of the initial post...
The comment around keeping the price down by only having a basic screen doesn't make much sense. The cost of the screen would hardly be significant compared to other components.
Software development can easily be a large expense for most products, especially those that sells in the thousands (not millions).

Moving as much as possible into an (essentially 0-cost) iPad or similar that offers a snappy, robust  platform with developer-friendly libraries/APIs could free up valuable resources to do high-level gui stuff, or low-level firmware/hardware stuff.

If you have access to the technology and production means.... What would be the one-off and per-unit cost of releasing a 36x36mm sensor or 60x60mm sensor compared to a 24x36mm, all at "state-of-the-art" sensel-tech?

-h

MrSmith

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 07:43:10 am »

If it was true I would order one ASAP. The reality is either a wood/leather bauble for the idle rich or another ISO challenged MPixel resolution bump for 40k.

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 09:11:17 am »

or maybe Edmund is just taking the piss!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:44:55 am »

For those in countries without the tradition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools%27_Day

bcooter

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 03:32:23 pm »

Le Poisson d’Avril originated in France.  

Or so say the French, who also invented the pneumatic tyre, the computer chip, ice cream, air and water.

Keeping with this Grande Tradition is the new Hasselblad Bugatti H series, or more commonly know as the "French Bug".

Features Include:

1. Atomic battery that never needs a charge, though only works 30 hours per week.
2. 25% surcharge for all French Nationals, outside of France the tariff is 48%.  (2645% for U.K. Citizens.)
3. The "Bug" produces a proprietary file format in Lab Colour and can only be converted by approval of the Office of Literacy and Artistic Property.
4. The "Bug" will be available for sale 1 Aout.  (note, all H series stores are closed from 1 Aout to 1 Septembre.)
5. Tethering option is the proprietary Minitel.  It does not show an image, but more useful is instructions on how you should
compose the image.

IMO

BC
DOP (Doctor Of Photography)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:35:58 pm by bcooter »

TMARK

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 04:08:21 pm »

Perfect!

Le Poisson d’Avril originated in France.  

Or so say the French, who also invented the pneumatic tyre, the computer chip, ice cream, air and water.

Keeping with this Grande Tradition is the new Hasselblad Bugatti H series, or more commonly know as the "French Bug".

Features Include:

1. Atomic battery that never needs a charge, though only works 30 hours per week.
2. 25% surcharge for all French Nationals, outside of France the tariff is 48%.  (2645% for U.K. Citizens.)
3. The "Bug" produces a proprietary file format in Lab Colour and can only be converted by approval of the Office of Literacy and Artistic Property.
4. The "Bug" will be available for sale 1 Aout.  (note, all H series stores are closed from 1 Aout to 1 Septembre.)
5. Tethering option is the proprietary Minitel.  It does not show an image, but more useful is instructions on how you should
compose the image.

IMO

BC
DOP (Doctor Of Photography)

MrSmith

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 04:15:08 pm »

I was so hoping for the Bently brooklands edition with engine turned aluminium and goatskin (+matching goatskin gloves) ???
That blue is so vulgar.
Looks like I'll get a Leica instead, I hear they use sharkskin and gold leaf on theirs.

design_freak

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 04:32:05 pm »

LOL   ;D
Best regards,
DF

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 04:40:43 pm »

My dream leica would love a little Bugatti....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:18:28 pm by Jeffery Salter »
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

fredjeang2

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 05:15:28 pm »

Oh, Bugatti...this is soooo out-fashioned!

No, what you need is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7f1feSjDks

Fine noise too, that would put the Blad shutter into another league.

No more fines for Coot when he drives the Dodge in the narrow London streets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up