Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for large gamut monitor  (Read 4124 times)

agarric

Looking for large gamut monitor
« on: March 24, 2013, 03:06:02 pm »

Hello

I am going to invest into a large gamut monitor.

After reading a couple of reviews my choice goes to NEC PA241W. Main reasons are :
- Large Gamut
- Internal LUT that can be hardware calibrated
- Easy to select sRGB calibration for not color managed applications

I have a few question to this community :

- I leave in Europe, if I understand well, I cannot buy SpectraviewII software in Europe, but if I manage to get it through a broker it should work fine with a monitor bought in Europe. I hope this is true, if someone from Europe as done that recently I would be interested to know (most posts are back from 2011).

- This technology looks 3 years old. There was a lot of improvements in this industry recently. I wonder if I am making the best choice. May be you could recommend a better monitor for the same money.

My usage will be photo editing with Photoshop or Lightroom.

Thanks in advance.
Antoine

stefohl

• http://www.projektorutbildning.se
Re: Looking for large gamut monitor
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 03:33:17 am »

In Europe you get SpectraView Profiler instead, which is AKA Basiccolor Display. I have compared the two programs and think that Basiccolor Display is the better program.
Stefan Ohlsson
Projektor [url=http://www

agarric

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:50:04 am »

This is true, basiccolor has a good reputation. But it costs 600€ more! It might be worth for some people, for me I am not sure that I will get the return on investment...
thanks for your comment.

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 10:19:01 am »

I live in Germany and recently purchased an NEC SpectraView Reference 271 monitor (PA 271W for you folks in the States). The calibration software ‘SpectraView Profiler 5’ - which is more-or-less identical to ‘basICColor Display 5 - is bundled with the monitor (doesn’t cost anything) and can also be downloaded from their website. As far as price is concerned, it is important to understand that the non-‘Reference’ version (NEC SpectraView 271 without the word ‘Reference’) is identical to the more expensive ‘Reference’ version. This information was confirmed to me by an NEC representative during the 2012 Photokina. I really wish to avoid any debate as to whether basICColor Display 5 or SpectraView II is the better calibration software. For reasons of my own I preferred to use SpectraView II and had someone purchase it for me (it is only available within the U.S.A / North America). It installed easily on my Mac Pro (OS X 10.8.3) and works perfectly in conjunction with my X-Rite i1 Display Pro. I.E. no compatibility problems whatsoever.

Best wishes,

Larry

agarric

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:57:51 am »

Larry thanks for your comment. Strangely I don't see the same references in France. Although I only concentrated on the 24inch version I believe that the 27inch has some specific features.
Anyway this is good news that you could use SpectraviewII on a system bought in Europe I gives me hope. I am going to test it soon on the 24 inch.

regards,
Antoine

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »

I believe the differences between the two 24” versions are the same as with the 27” displays. Basically you’re paying extra money for the hood and the certificate (Protocole de mesure SpectraView). As far as the hardware is concerned, the monitors are identical. On the NEC France website, both the SpectraView 241 (http://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/fr/fr/products/details/dp/Products/LCD/Current/SV-SV241/SV-SV241.xhtml?cat=Colour&realm=products/choice) and the SpectraView Reference 241 (http://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/fr/fr/products/details/dp/Products/LCD/Current/SV-Reference241/SV-Reference241.xhtml?cat=Colour&realm=products%2Fchoice) are listed. As far as I can tell, the specifications are the same, and both are sold together with the SpectraView Profiler software (that is, basiCColor Display 5). And once again, the SpectraView II software (U.S.A.) does function on both these monitors!

Best wishes,

Larry (hope the links function!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up