Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: renaming RAW + JPG files in LR 4 with same name, different extension  (Read 5425 times)

camner

The files come off the camera in the form name.CR2 and name.JPG (identical names, different extensions).  I'd like to rename the files (either on import or afterwards) so they keep this characteristic, but LR seems to want to increment the sequence number (after all, LR is treating the RAW and JPG files as separate images).  Is there a way around this within LR?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: renaming RAW + JPG files in LR 4 with same name, different extension
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 07:49:47 am »

I can't answer your question, but I will say that once you become familiar with the tools that LR has to keep track of photos, you will probably find renaming the files to be pointless. Between keywords, collections, titles, captions etc. you can organize and find photos more powerfully than any file naming system would allow.

Also, I wonder why you are importing the jpeg files. I can't think of a use for them in LR.

Don.H

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:26:34 am »

I assume you want something like:
file001.jpg, file 001.CR2
file002.jpg, file 002.CR2, etc
and you are getting file001.jpg, file002.CR2, file003.jpg, file004.CR2, etc.

Try filtering by file type (library -> filter bar -> metadata -> file type) to select all the files of one type, renaming those, then selecting all the files of the other type and renaming those the same way.
If you take care to run the filter on exactly the same set of files each time (and of course preserve the file suffix while renaming and starting the number sequence at the same point) then you should have what you want.

I've not tested this, so I suggest trying it on a very small number of files at first.

However, I don't see the benefit of importing both jpg and raw of the same image.

Don

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 12:05:48 pm »

I will say that once you become familiar with the tools that LR has to keep track of photos, you will probably find renaming the files to be pointless.

There are many reasons why renaming files is a useful feature.
It's also worth remembering that you might not want to use Lightroom for ever too, so having the imported files changed to something more useful than _mg_6732 might be very helpful in the future.

I can see why the ability to rename both Jpg & RAW together would be a useful feature to some and ought to go on a wish list for LR4+

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:21:53 pm »

I see your point about possibly moving away from LR at some time in the future. But, LR already has a pretty good tool for reaming photos (the RAW files). The ability to rename RAWs and JPEGs at the same time would be needed only if you import both, and I still don't see any reason to do so. Am I missing something?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 01:14:57 pm »

I assume you want something like:
file001.jpg, file 001.CR2
file002.jpg, file 002.CR2, etc
and you are getting file001.jpg, file002.CR2, file003.jpg, file004.CR2, etc.

Try filtering by file type (library -> filter bar -> metadata -> file type) to select all the files of one type, renaming those, then selecting all the files of the other type and renaming those the same way.
If you take care to run the filter on exactly the same set of files each time (and of course preserve the file suffix while renaming and starting the number sequence at the same point) then you should have what you want.

I've not tested this, so I suggest trying it on a very small number of files at first.

However, I don't see the benefit of importing both jpg and raw of the same image.

Don

I think Don has the right idea, but I don't think you need to employ the filter bar.  There's a 'last import' collection made automatically when you import images, so I'd start there and it should have all of your most recently imported images.  On the bottom toolbar I'd choose Sort by File Name, then change that to Sort by File Type.  If you do that you should have Img001.cr2, Img003.cr2, etc. followed by Img002.jpg, Img004.jpg, etc.  Then you can shift-select all of the .cr2 files, go to Library/Rename Photo (or press F2) and enter/edit your file naming strategy, setting the start number at 1.  Do the same thing for the .jpg files.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

camner

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 01:43:19 am »

Thanks to all for their constructive comments.  This has given me a variety of approaches.  It would be nice if LR could do this itself, but there are obviously good workarounds.  One just needs to be careful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up