Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuehle Ultra Smooth and Epson 3800 (again)  (Read 1461 times)

RonGans

Hahnemuehle Ultra Smooth and Epson 3800 (again)
« on: March 22, 2013, 10:21:40 am »

After about a year of adequate performance, now my printer will not print Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth (308g) in anything larger than 8.5x11. I get the usual round of paper skew, print error, etc. Larger sized Epson Velvet are OK. BUT I really like the Hahnemuehle. The Epson Velvet is very pebbly and makes the images seem blurier. I think the problem with the Hahnemuehle, as one repair technician mentioned, is that it can be slightly curved or bent and this is the problem. SO, what else could I use that's bright white and ultra smooth and very flat? In 13x19 and 17x22 sizes? Any recommendations?

RON

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Hahnemuehle Ultra Smooth and Epson 3800 (again)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:45:51 am »

This paper curls a lot upon storage.  You may be getting the paper skew error because it won't properly load in the rear feeder (I assume you are using this).  One thing to try if you still have some large size paper left is to reverse roll the corners on the edge you are trying to feed into the printer.  Put a piece of cover paper on the printable surface so that you don't get any scuffing.  When you are satisfied that the leading edge is now flat all the way across try to feed it again.  This paper is a pain in the ass but wonderful for matte paper printing.  I have an Epson 3880 and have found if I do what is outlined that I don't get any misfeeds.

I don't know of any comparable paper that is as bright (maybe the Epson Hot Press Bright if you want a paper along those lines) but natural papers that work well are Museo Portfolio Rag which is very stiff and doesn't have the curl problems or Canson Rag Photographique (I've only printed on letter size with this paper so I can't provide any experience with larger sizes).

Hope this helps.

Alan

RonGans

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 11:28:18 am »

THANKS for that tip. I'll give it a try. I did find a box of 17x22 fine art baryta, but it's glossy which I don't like very much. Still, if the client wants it.....It's actually printing but from the sheet feeder slot (where regular paper goes). The rear feed didn't work with that and it looked totally flat to me. I might take some paper over to B&H if they have a 3800 around and just see if it can be fed in.

RON

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:29:47 pm »

The one other thing I forgot to mention is that matte papers are quite dusty and I always clean the surface with a horsehair drafting brush prior to printing.  It certainly reduces dust accumulation in the printer feed mechanism.

rxchaos

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 12:20:28 am »

I've had a similar problem with the Hahnemuhle UltraSmooth paper (17x22) and Epson4900 printer. I've tried to 'cure' the paper using various methods suggested in this forum and have had little success.  I addressed the problem to the vendor from who I bought the paper (CalumetPhotgraphic in Cambridge, MA) and they took the paper back. I also addressed the problem with Hahnemühle and they don't seem to really care. I've been using Canson's RagPhotographique 310gsm, it has a similar texture and appears to be work well and be free of the problems of the Hahnemuhle's paper.

-c

Pages: [1]   Go Up