Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BC's Crystaline ??  (Read 1205 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

BC's Crystaline ??
« on: March 22, 2013, 01:31:59 am »

Hey guys so I got an email notifying me that BC's Crystaline is now in stock.  I'm curious as to how well this "no varnish required" stuff works.  Is it good?  Can I literally just let the print dry and stretch without cracking?  Has anyone had any experience with the latest batches of their Crystaline stock? 

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Re: BC's Crystaline ??
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 03:16:05 pm »

I haven't tied the crystalline specifically, but I have tried other glossy canvases that say no varnish required. IMHO this is BS. You might be able to stretch the canvas without cracking (and you might not). But even so, the surface is too delicate to survive without a protective varnish unless it's going to be displayed behind glass. Best to spray and be safe.

I've also found that these canvases look better with after spraying (to me), the varnish evens out the "sparkle" that these glossy canvases have when uncoated.

Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 05:08:02 pm »

Thanks Jeff.  I spoke with a rep and sure enough they told me it won't crack IF I don't stretch too much.  With my pitbull stretcher tool it's impossible not to stretch tight.  So I got a sample to play with but will probably just stick to Chromata White.  All the Lyve I ever get from BC has many cotton seeds in it and ruins a lot of my prints. 

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 09:23:15 pm »

BC says that while you don't have to spray it, they recommend that you do...
Pages: [1]   Go Up