Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon's Toy Cameras  (Read 4346 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Canon's Toy Cameras
« on: March 21, 2013, 06:26:37 pm »

While others are making great strides in sensor and camera design, Canon continues its yawn-inducing journey with the introduction of two new... toy cameras ???

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Canon's Toy Cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:41:08 pm »

The smaller of the 2 may be interesting in that it is a bit smaller than the other DSLRs like the Nikon D3200 (about 1cm in each direction).

Now, these are the cameras that Canon makes money with. That's where they get the cash to develop the 17 T/S lenses.  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:51:38 pm »

As long as Canon keep producing outstanding new optics, they have my permission to play with their toys. But indeed it is daunting to see how Nikon is thriving to put the most and meet budgets and Canon just diversifying and crippling at will to keep us entertained.

I believe this market strategy will last until they manage to complete development of the new sensors.

Eduardo

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:55:43 pm »

Well, I don't quite get the T5i, as it looks similar to T4i (but has a different sensor), but the mini-dSLR may find some customers who might otherwise buy bridge cameras. I would like to see the dynamic range test on that T5i sensor, and see if it performs better in low light/ high ISO conditions, in other words if it picked up some of the 6D's low light performance. There may be other features of the T5i which may be of importance to videographers.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 03:57:44 pm »

Well... camera size has never been the problem in itself (unless we are speaking of those with integrated motors, like 1 series). It is lenses, especially if you have several of them, that add weight and bulk to the system. Camara bodies have almost become too small for certain hands. That is where the attraction of m4/3 system is: smaller lenses.

My "dream team" would be Olympus OMD (for city travel and hiking) and Nikon 800e for landscape (near the parking lot). Alas, I am stuck with my Canon 60D and a bunch of lenses. Needless to say, I was hoping the next announcement from Canon would be about the mythical high-resolution body... we got toys instead >:(

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 04:01:24 pm »

... Alas, I am stuck with my Canon 60D ...

A 60D? What are you thinking? It's hardly enough to even photograph lighthouses with.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 04:04:14 pm »

Well... camera size has never been the problem in itself (unless we are speaking of those with integrated motors, like 1 series). It is lenses, especially if you have several of them, that add weight and bulk to the system. Camara bodies have almost become too small for certain hands. That is where the attraction of m4/3 system is: smaller lenses.

My "dream team" would be Olympus OMD (for city travel and hiking) and Nikon 800e for landscape (near the parking lot). Alas, I am stuck with my Canon 60D and a bunch of lenses. Needless to say, I was hoping the next announcement from Canon would be about the mythical high-resolution body... we got toys instead >:(

Slobodan, just blow the dust off the Hasselblad.

Sell the digital toys and buy a dedicated scanner and there you are - pic heaven!

Rob C

stever

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 04:08:04 pm »

i applaud Canon for making a small camera - looks like a good backup body.  unfortunately without some smaller lenses i'm not sure how much advantage there is over the larger plastic cameras - and still not really a competitor for micro 4/3

adam z

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 10:21:59 am »

Everyone seems to be whining about Canons current cameras. Funnily enough I decided to invest in a whole heap of new camera gear and ended up with two 1DX bodies, six new lenses, and two of the new speedlites. I was happy enough to switch to Nikon if I thought it was a better option. If Nikon put the D800 sensor in a full size pro body priced similarly to the 1DX, then I may have considered it, not for any other reason than the better dynamic range and shadow detail recovery. Yes, the extra resolution would have been nice, but for the most part it isn't necessary for me. Even still, I would have really had to think about it, as I plan on buying the 17 and 24 TSE's soon, and perhaps if they become more than a rumor, the updated 45 and 90 TSE's as well.

I must say I am extremely impressed so far with the 1DX. Handling is brilliant, and image quality is superb. Now I have them  I kind of hope Canon doesn't release a much improved sensor anytime soon, because I will want one even though these cameras are just about perfect for my needs.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 01:43:37 pm »

Parents in some places in the United States should bewarned not to let their kids take these Canon Toy Cameras to school. In some school districts, the word "Canon" alone on a toy might be considered threatening enough for the poor kid to be suspended.  ::)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

graeme

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 08:06:25 pm »

The 100D/SL1 looks interesting to me. I'd buy one as a back up body if my 20D finally died. Could be fun with a Voigtlander pancake on it.

Image quality should be about the same as my 60D which is all I need.

Graeme

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 09:29:41 pm »

From Canons point of view their "toys" are where they make their $$$.

BJL

"Toy" Cameras are fine — with "toy" (small) lenses
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 11:31:16 pm »

I have no objections to "toy" cameras, if that just means small and/or inexpensive ... but they need "toy" (small) lenses! Unfortunately Canon (like Sony with NEX) are falling to downsize the standard zoom and telephoto zoom lenses that are the dominant #1 and#2 lenses for small, inexpensive system cameras like the new Canon SL1 and the EF-M mirrorless before it.

I also have no problems with new cameras at the same 18MP as half a dozen previous models, if the sensors improve in other ways, like better in-sensor AF for use with live view and video, or less noise. But Canon has not claimed any such improvements, which makes me dismiss internet chatter about improved DR and such as wishful thinking.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 04:39:25 am »

I have no problem with any manufacturer producing small or large cameras: I don't have to buy any of them.

Liberation?

Take up fishing: you can do it sitting down.

Rob C

NancyP

Re: Canon's Toy Cameras - one person's yawn is another person's purchase
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 12:41:36 pm »

I can see the appeal of a Canon micro-dSLR plus Tamron 18-270mm zoom (or similar superzoom) for many travelers. That combo would weigh slightly more than my 60D body alone. All that said, the tiny camera bodies don't sit well in my hand - a Rebel is too small, a 60D just right, so far as grip is concerned. And I am a woman with a small hand, size 6. Tastes vary.

scooby70

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 12:54:12 pm »

I can see the appeal of a Canon micro-dSLR plus Tamron 18-270mm zoom (or similar superzoom) for many travelers....

It would make more sense to me fitted with a compact 28mm f1.8.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 01:34:18 pm »

As BJL says Canon follows Sony Nex way, small body but big lenses.

For sure I'm not convinced it's a good way because of the weight unbalance especially with big zoom.

But if Canon want to sell, they must follow Sony and/or propose other format(s).

Now we have plenty of choice and a lot of brands available as never before in the digital market.

Thierry

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 03:23:48 pm »

I can see the appeal of a Canon micro-dSLR plus Tamron 18-270mm zoom (or similar superzoom) for many travelers. That combo would weigh slightly more than my 60D body alone. All that said, the tiny camera bodies don't sit well in my hand - a Rebel is too small, a 60D just right, so far as grip is concerned. And I am a woman with a small hand, size 6. Tastes vary.

Indeed, it is said that every woman hath a man eating from her hand, but this is silly! You think taste matters in such circumstances?

;-)

Rob C

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 01:19:34 pm »

Canon have been making toy cameras since 1991, when I bought my first Canon EOS, the 1000 model. The strategy then, and the strategy now, was to allow people to "taste" the EOS system with a low price entry point. And then, after buying into a great system, to move on up in both cameras and lenses.

This low segment cameras are actually great photographic tools, and are hardly "toys". If you are waiting for the high pixel count Canon camera, you have two options: buy a D800, or wait a bit more, as for sure it is coming down the pipe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up