Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any experience with the Hasselblad H 1.7 converter?  (Read 6255 times)

hasselbladfan

Any experience with the Hasselblad H 1.7 converter?
« on: March 21, 2013, 04:05:53 am »

I am considering buying a 1.7 converter to use on a H100mm and a H210mm.

When I travel light, I would only take my 50mm/100mm/1.7 instead of adding a 210mm. And it could help avoiding buying a 300mm if the results with a 210mm with the 1.7 are good.

Any experiences?  

Do you see fall off in sharpness? Vignetting? Or is it compensated by DAC?

Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:09:30 am by hasselbladfan »

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Re: Any experience with the Hasselblad H 1.7 converter?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 12:39:54 am »

First of all the 300mm is absolutely amazing, and you can read about it, and some other MF telephotos on my website. I've been in Costa Rica shooting the Mamiya 300/500 APO lenses as well as the 300mm f/4.5 AF and the 300 AF's work great. Last time when I was here with the Hasselblad 300mm I got one great picture and I was hooked to Medium Format telephoto....

Also I absolutely love the focal length of 210, just saying

But on to your question, I believe there has yet to be the "firmware" upgrade needed to allow AF with the Hasselblad lenses and the the 1.7 TC....so this is something big to consider especially if you are using AF of course....this information may be a bit old but I BELIEVE it is still correct, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Using the Mamiya 2x TCN with the 300/500 APO's, I am amazed by the image quality you can get, and the main cost is in some vingetting and of course the slower aperture. In most situations where everything else goes well, the image quality seems to be very similar between the TC and the non-TC...and if an older Mamiya TC can rock on a 80mp DB, then I suspect that the Hasselblad TC should be excellent.

These are just my thoughts on these focal lengths, and MF TC's, I am sorry I have not had any direct experience with the 1.7x TC from Hasselblad with their lenses.

It would certainly be an attractive option if the 300mm Hasselblad could AF with the 1.7x TC on a Leica S2 (because of its crop factor) but if the firmware upgrade has yet to come to H bodies, then I can only imagine it will be substantially longer before it comes to the S2/H-Adapter.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 01:09:17 am »

I am considering buying a 1.7 converter to use on a H100mm and a H210mm.
Any experiences?  

Do you see fall off in sharpness? Vignetting? Or is it compensated by DAC?

You will be very pleased with the 1.7x on the 100mm and 210mm. I use it when necessary and the clarity is superb given the amount of glass the light has to travel through. You probably won't realize you used the 1.7x by looking at the image itself. There are sample images at Nick's forum:

http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php/topic,1453.0.html

AF with the 1.7x will work with the 100mm and 210mm but not the 300mm. Contrary to what was mentioned above, no firmware update is required. Not certain the 1.7x will work with the 50mm.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
Www.jecxz.com
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:12:05 am by jecxz »

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:11:44 am »

Derek, thanks for the correction.

I did not realize that it was only for the 300mm there there was not AF, though this was the lens I enquired about. Sorry for the confusion.

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 01:15:52 am »

Derek, thanks for the correction.

I did not realize that it was only for the 300mm there there was not AF, though this was the lens I enquired about. Sorry for the confusion.

No problem! Even without the AF the quality with the 300mm is outstanding. Here's an image I made a couple of years ago with the 1.7x and the 300mm and of course, manual focus:

Kind regards,
Derek

hasselbladfan

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 05:29:25 am »

Thanks, Derek, Brian for your advice. I will surely go for it. Someone is offering me a brand new one for $ 650, so can't loose much.

By the way, great pictures with the 300+1.7 ! I can only image how good they will be with the 100/210mm.

I have no intention to use it with a 50mm. Don't know where that thought came from.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:45:12 am by hasselbladfan »

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:46:37 am »

That fox is great, when the 300 Autofocus's it would be a selling point for sure. When I owned my H series cameras I honestly don't think I really ever used the mf except maybe when it was dark out and I was testing its long exposures (H3Dii-39ms did not fair terribly well in this category) but it was really just more of a goof.

The Hasselblad 300mm is certainly built better then the Mamiya model. I also think, like you see in your picture it is slightly warmer and more appealing in some ways. The Mamiya 300mm f/4.5 APO renders things as they are, unforgivingly sharp (for subjects) but great when your using / editing shots most of the time IMHO

design_freak

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:56:50 am »

The Hasselblad 300mm is certainly built better then the Mamiya model. I also think, like you see in your picture it is slightly warmer and more appealing in some ways. The Mamiya 300mm f/4.5 APO renders things as they are, unforgivingly sharp (for subjects) but great when your using / editing shots most of the time IMHO

Brian,
You need to test new P1 LS 240  ;)
Best regards,
DF

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 07:58:44 am »

I concur, I've almost just bought one....Was supposed to go check it out at DT a while ago but never got around to it, it will be on the to do list when back for sure, Had a great chance to test it out on a Monkey who was a fairly cooperative subject in Costa Rica.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 07:03:14 am »

Anyone experience with the 1.7 converter on a 100mm?

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 12:13:55 pm »

No experience with the 1.7 on a 100mm, but I use it on my 80, and it's great. Sharp. Fast AF. Nice focal length. It would probably be even better on the 100, since that lens is supposed to be dreamy and have even faster AF due to the wide aperture.

gigdagefg

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 04:31:05 pm »

1.7 with 210mm HC lens yields 357mm with autofocus and is sharp
stanley

Patrick Pike

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 06:24:26 pm »

I have the 100 and 1.7. Granted I shoot primarily portraits (and weddings), it's still super sharp for me. Autofocus is quick (although I still prefer to manually focus), and vignetting is minimal. It's a solid setup for when I want a tighter perspective.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 06:38:42 pm »

Thanks, Guys. Great advice. I will go for it.

I am convinced it will be a great extra piece to have in the bag when I am going out light (camera + 2 lenses).

But I start to realise, I will end up with a 300mm anyway one day. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up