Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleting Adobe processing info  (Read 11700 times)

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Deleting Adobe processing info
« on: March 19, 2013, 12:39:38 am »

How do you remove or turn off the recording of the data of your processing info from your image when using photoshop.  To explain this better if open your image and go to file info and Raw data.  You will find all of the info about what you did to your image.  Is there a way to turn off what you shot it with and when, can you turn off some of it selectively or can you only turn off all of it.  I'm sure one of you photoshop super freaks can figure this out.  Jeff I know you can answer this.  T

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Deleting Adobe processing info
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 02:26:03 am »

In the main Photoshop preferences panel, Uncheck History Log (or at least uncheck Save Log Items to: Metadata.

I have it on since it's useful data...but if you don't want people to see it, just uncheck it.

Redcrown

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:32:53 am »

I think you're talking about the "metadata" (EXIF, IPTC, etc) that is stored in each image file. Most of it is static info and there is no way to turn off the recording of it. To get rid of it, you need to strip it after the fact. There are a number of 3rd party utility programs that do that. However, I'll give you an easy way inside of Photoshop.

1. Copy your image via Select All and Copy Merged.
2. Do a File/New and create a new document. That new document will have no meaningful metatata.
3. Paste your image into the new document, flatten and save.

That saved document will have no metadata except its creation date and "created by Photoshop".

Be careful with colorspaces. Make sure the new document is created with the same colorspace as the old.

Jeff is right about the History Log, but you specifically mentioned the Raw data. That is added by your raw converter (ACR), and I don't think there is any way to turn it off.

If you want to strip some of the data but leave other parts (like original capture date, camera model, camera settings), then you will have to use one of the 3rd party programs. I've never bothered, so I can't recommend any.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 10:14:33 am »

Another much easier way to strip all XMP/EXIF/IPTC data is use Photoshop CS3's "Save For Web". I don't know what newer version of Photoshop has SFW still doing this so you'll have to check.

Just a heads up on "File Info" in that you can enter custom data within its entries like IPTC Contact and it will embed it in every Raw, Tiff, JPEG you save whenever you select "Append Metadata Template", and will be made readable when uploaded to sites like flickr and Wikipedia galleries that have an EXIF reader feature.

Now I found this out the hard way in CS3 so I don't know if it's been changed in newer upgrades, when I discovered on the mentioned site's readers, I had entered way too much personal contact information in the IPTC Contact section of "File Info" that I thought would only apply to a single group of images specific to a photo restoration job I did. It applied to all whenever I used "Append Metadata Template" from a custom template I made in Bridge. I now have at least 1000 images online in various websites I participate where anyone can get both my emails, phone number and place of residents.

Finally tracking down where I had forgotten where I'ld entered it a year ago lead me to "File Info" IPTC Contact where I removed the personal info and re-appended the template to all my images, re-uploaded online and now the EXIF readers show it's removed. The instructions weren't this specific or at least I got too confused when I read Adobe's User's Guide on how to append and edit metadata templates using Bridge.

If you don't setup a custom metadata template and don't append it in Bridge (Lightroom?) or "File Info"=(selected in the upper right triangle dropdown menu>Append Metadata Template), the camera manufacturer's EXIF will be embedded by default. Not sure what all they embed so you might check.

The "History Log" PS pref tip Jeff mentioned I had forgotten about much like a lot of this nested image data append stuff. Mine has been turned off I guess by default since I rarely need to change anything in there.

IMO all this stuff is a confusing mess to sort out.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:18:44 am by tlooknbill »

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 10:26:58 am »

So to answer your question on removing this data the only way I see is to create a custom "Metadata Template" where remove all the entries nested within both "File Info" and in Bridges/Lightroom's Metadata Preferences section and append it to all your images with a "Select All" and append.

You know what, I'm exhausted. Find you a EXIF stripper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up