Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Distilled water turned Canon canvas slight yellow?!  (Read 999 times)

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Distilled water turned Canon canvas slight yellow?!
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:01:32 pm »

Why would spraying distilled water on the back of Canon Artistic Matte Canvas change the base white into one shade in the yellow direction?  Like if the canvas was 255/255/255 white (it isn't), turning it into 255/255/254 yellow.

Makes it look like a light stain, where the distilled water treated areas and non-treated areas meet.

I've been known to use the distilled water trick on the back of Breathing Color Lyve or Crystalline to take out a ripple or crease, without ever having an issue.

Have a customer who wanted to push price down by using cheaper canvas.  I've had a roll of Canon Graphic Matte Canvas for a while that I got at a heck of a discount holding for such an occasion, so used that.

Wound up cheating further by re-spraying the entire back of the canvas.  The entire canvas stained light yellow, but it's uniform now on the front so you can't see anything wrong.  The stain-effect is now on the sides.

I'd usually re-do, lesson learned, without a second thought, but this customer's actually happy to buy these screwed up ones at a discount.  (He'll re-paint the sides white.)

But, I'm still confused how distilled water would turn it yellow.  It's a special spray bottle -- purchased specifically for distilled, well labeled as such, never anything else in it.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Re: Distilled water turned Canon canvas slight yellow?!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 06:09:49 pm »

Very odd.  Is that a high OBA canvas?  Perhaps it somehow reacted with the fluorescent dye and negated it's effect?.  Do you have a way to check your water's pH?
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Darron Chadwick

• Chadwick Studios
Re: Distilled water turned Canon canvas slight yellow?!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 07:21:55 pm »

any chance the yellow staining came from the canvas fibers?

also has this happened on this one print or everything printed from this roll

Pages: [1]   Go Up